Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am exploring the option of moving to Ensenada, mostly because of its climate and vicinity to the US. I have looked (online) at houses in the Punta Banda area for $800-1000$ per month or $200,000 or so to buy. Beyond the renting/housing expenses, can anyone suggest an amount to live comfortably in that part of Mexico?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have lived in Ensenada for a number of years and would strongly urge you to take your time on making the decision of where and what to buy.
Rent something for at least a year, this is a large growing metropolitan community. What you think now and what will be the reality a year from now could be totally different.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As mentioned, you need to visit the area as things probably have changed dramatically since you lived here. Due to the draught affecting the entire state of Baja, many parts of Ensenada including Punta Banda have water trucked in due to no access to water mains from the city. Also due to the draught it has become very dry and dusty in many parts of Baja including Tijuana, Rosarito & Ensenada. Some parts of Punta Banda are quieter than others so you need to make a trip to make a better decision. Today/Saturday the high here is 80 degrees; the weather has also become much hotter in the summer and having A/C can result in a $100 plus monthly CFE bill.
I have lived here in PB for 4 months and plan to leave here in the fall once the weather cools and find somewhere on the mainland in the Highlands where it is much cooler and there is more rain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have lived in Ensenada for a number of years and would strongly urge you to take your time on making the decision of where and what to buy.
Rent something for at least a year, this is a large growing metropolitan community. What you think now and what will be the reality a year from now could be totally different.
Hi Ensenada bill,

Thank you for your reply. Our possible move is at least a year away. We plan to visit on vacation first, then if we like it rent for some time and then eventually buy. But before setting the wheel in motion I would like to get an idea of the monthly/yearly expenditure for a couple. We are in our late 30s early 40s and plan on an active lifestyle. Going out to bars/restaurant etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned, you need to visit the area as things probably have changed dramatically since you lived here. Due to the draught affecting the entire state of Baja, many parts of Ensenada including Punta Banda have water trucked in due to no access to water mains from the city. Also due to the draught it has become very dry and dusty in many parts of Baja including Tijuana, Rosarito & Ensenada. Some parts of Punta Banda are quieter than others so you need to make a trip to make a better decision. Today/Saturday the high here is 80 degrees; the weather has also become much hotter in the summer and having A/C can result in a $100 plus monthly CFE bill.
I have lived here in PB for 4 months and plan to leave here in the fall once the weather cools and find somewhere on the mainland in the Highlands where it is much cooler and there is more rain.
Thank you mes1952. I have never lived in Mexico and definitely plan to visit before eventually move. How much do you usually spend per month/year? Can you breakdown your expenses? How much do you think a couple would need to live comfortably?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Ensenada bill,

Thank you for your reply. Our possible move is at least a year away. We plan to visit on vacation first, then if we like it rent for some time and then eventually buy. But before setting the wheel in motion I would like to get an idea of the monthly/yearly expenditure for a couple. We are in our late 30s early 40s and plan on an active lifestyle. Going out to bars/restaurant etc.
Your plan to spend vacation time here is excellent. Only you can really answer the cost of living question question. I think you will find the basics much cheaper here than where you are coming from. Warning, some imported items, especially electronics, are more costly in Mexico due to taxes and tariffs.
I think the real question is will you be happy living in another country? If your only concern is monetary and you are not ready to embrace another culture, perhaps you are making a mistake moving here. For example, I know people who have lived in this area for 20+years and can not-will not speak a word of Spanish or really try to be a part of the local Mexican community. To me this is very sad and extremely shallow.
Good luck on making the right decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your plan to spend vacation time here is excellent. Only you can really answer the cost of living question question. I think you will find the basics much cheaper here than where you are coming from. Warning, some imported items, especially electronics, are more costly in Mexico due to taxes and tariffs.
I think the real question is will you be happy living in another country? If your only concern is monetary and you are not ready to embrace another culture, perhaps you are making a mistake moving here. For example, I know people who have lived in this area for 20+years and can not-will not speak a word of Spanish or really try to be a part of the local Mexican community. To me this is very sad and extremely shallow.
Good luck on making the right decision.
Thank you Bill! I am originally from Europe, I can understand Spanish and have lived in other 2 countries other than the US, so integrating in the culture should not be a problem.... Can I ask you what is your monthly expenditure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you Bill! I am originally from Europe, I can understand Spanish and have lived in other 2 countries other than the US, so integrating in the culture should not be a problem.... Can I ask you what is your monthly expenditure?
Great, you are all set! Sounds like you are a good candidate for Ensenada.

I really don't like to share personal information in an open forum such as income etc. If you can send me an email address I will be happy to share information with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great, you are all set! Sounds like you are a good candidate for Ensenada.

I really don't like to share personal information in an open forum such as income etc. If you can send me an email address I will be happy to share information with you.
Bill unfortunately I am not allowed to send private messages. I read that I need to have a certain number of posts before I can do that. Will contact you then, unless you are able to contact me first...

Thanks,
GGC

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im single and not the typical American expat here who eats out much (which most do here and consumes a big portion of your budget) and spends a good portion in bars. If you do a Google search about living in Mexico you should be able to find a basic budget for living in Mexico. I live on around $1,000/Social Security month and have a car, rent an apartment, have 2 small dogs and I still am able to save money to travel. So it all depends on your spending habits so it varies person to person.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unfortunately this represents the majority of American/Canadian expats. Here's a good synopsis of why people leave Mexico done by a Chapala forum:

Death - they just die and leave in an urn or pine box
Better or cheaper medical care in their home country
To die with their family around them
Sick of the petty thievery
Sick of lazy public officials
Cant take the high altitude for medical reasons
Fear of crime and lazy police / prosecutor and little investigation for deterrence for crimes
Sick of police shakedowns
Sick of their family nagging them about living in Mexico
Nobody trustworthy to care for them and pay their bills without tappin the till as they have no family and few friends
Cannot qualify for the higher immigration financial requirements
Cant keep their foreign plated car
Poor financial management (theirs) and the lack of a Mexican welfare system for the poor
Being pursued by criminals
Being pursued by creditors who know where they live and can attempt to attach assets
Couldnt adapt to life without their home country creature comforts
People running from the law in Mexico

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
Unfortunately this represents the majority of American/Canadian expats. Here's a good synopsis of why people leave Mexico done by a Chapala forum:

Death - they just die and leave in an urn or pine box
Better or cheaper medical care in their home country
To die with their family around them
Sick of the petty thievery
Sick of lazy public officials
Cant take the high altitude for medical reasons
Fear of crime and lazy police / prosecutor and little investigation for deterrence for crimes
Sick of police shakedowns
Sick of their family nagging them about living in Mexico
Nobody trustworthy to care for them and pay their bills without tappin the till as they have no family and few friends
Cannot qualify for the higher immigration financial requirements
Cant keep their foreign plated car
Poor financial management (theirs) and the lack of a Mexican welfare system for the poor
Being pursued by criminals
Being pursued by creditors who know where they live and can attempt to attach assets
Couldnt adapt to life without their home country creature comforts
People running from the law in Mexico
What a depressing list to read. In my case, I'm still here and will probably be buried here when that time comes, hopefully in the somewhat distant future.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.