Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am completing my visa application and there is this question I don't fully understand:

"Non-migrating members of the family unit"
Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?
I don't have any family member been added to my application and I have no relatives in Australia whatsoever.

Should I add in this point my parents and brothers? Even when they have no relation or interest in Australia?

Thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi, I am completing my visa application and there is this question I don't fully understand:

I don't have any family member been added to my application and I have no relatives in Australia whatsoever.

Should I add in this point my parents and brothers? Even when they have no relation or interest in Australia?

Thanks
Yes U can add them. These questions are just for reference and information of DIBP. These will not affect visa processing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Thanks
Parents and siblings aren't considered members of your family unit, only spouse/partner and children. If you are single and don't have children, then you would answer "No".

Reactions: TITU6609

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I am trying to complete my visa application and bump into the same question. When I select "yes" to the question, it will then proceed to ask you about details of the family member.

Although I understand that the definition of "Member of Family Unit" according to DIPN are just spouse/partner and children, the type of relationship of family member available to choose from the question includes "Aunt, Brother, Cousin, Friend, Parent, etc..."

In this case, I am confused. I am not sure if I should fill in my parents. The question is, will saying I don't have any non-migrating member of the family unit affecting my parents visa to visit/migrate to Australia in the future?

Thank you so much for helping out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am trying to complete my visa application and bump into the same question. When I select "yes" to the question, it will then proceed to ask you about details of the family member.

Although I understand that the definition of "Member of Family Unit" according to DIPN are just spouse/partner and children, the type of relationship of family member available to choose from the question includes "Aunt, Brother, Cousin, Friend, Parent, etc..."

In this case, I am confused. I am not sure if I should fill in my parents. The question is, will saying I don't have any non-migrating member of the family unit affecting my parents visa to visit/migrate to Australia in the future?

I would double check with the authorities, but I notice Australia has a knack for asking stupidly vague questions. I think the government here is so authoritarian that it would rather have as much information as possible stored in their databases.

But if the definition of a 'family unit' is just the immediate family, then you can just put down those details and explain to the officer that someone advised you that they officials only wanted to know about immediate family and not to waste the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nmfu

Hey Moony,

If your parents are not migrating with you now, click NO. Later stage you can bring your parents even you click NO in the visa application now. So not a problem, Go ahead and finish your application asap.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

DIBP's system often have more options than fit each individual question. In the case of this question, you are correct that the family unit is only the spouse/partner and children so you do not include your parents or any other relatives.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the vein of family members not migrating with you, my wife will not be moving to Australia with me, but can I claim points for her IELTS score ? If I claim those 5 points, will she have to undergo the PCC and Medical requirement , even if she is not migrating ?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In the vein of family members not migrating with you, my wife will not be moving to Australia with me, but can I claim points for her IELTS score ? If I claim those 5 points, will she have to undergo the PCC and Medical requirement , even if she is not migrating ?
She will need to have a PCC and Meds regardless. (Assuming you are still a family unit here)

·
Registered
47 Posts
She will need to have a PCC and Meds regardless. (Assuming you are still a family unit here)
We aren't legally separated yet, but we are not together anymore either.. so im kinda in the in between situation. That is what is complicating the situation..

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
We aren't legally separated yet, but we are not together anymore either.. so im kinda in the in between situation. That is what is complicating the situation..
If you and your wife are no longer together, you cannot claim partner points for her. Partner points is more than just claiming her English scores, she would also need to receive a positive skills assessment for an occupation on the same list as yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All, I have recently submitted my visa application and like some I was also confused, whether to add my parents and siblings details or not because where the site says only spouse and children on the application there were options to add parents and siblings and now i see a lot of discussions on not to add them. is there a way to remove them now? And if not what is the best approach?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Hi All, I have recently submitted my visa application and like some I was also confused, whether to add my parents and siblings details or not because where the site says only spouse and children on the application there were options to add parents and siblings and now i see a lot of discussions on not to add them. is there a way to remove them now? And if not what is the best approach?
Many members make this mistake
Just file a Form 1023 deleting their names

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts

Many members make this mistake
Just file a Form 1023 deleting their names

Cheers
Hi Newbienz, Thank you for your prompt response. In my application I see 'update us' inside which there is an option called 'update on incorrect information' which is similar to form 1023. Do you think it is okay to use the option inside the application and provide the update? I feel I may still not be able to delete the names from my application? Will this delay the process or stand any rejection. My case is still not assigned to any case officer. Do you think they will be lenient and ignore?

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Hi Newbienz, Thank you for your prompt response. In my application I see 'update us' inside which there is an option called 'update on incorrect information' which is similar to form 1023. Do you think it is okay to use the option inside the application and provide the update? I feel I may still not be able to delete the names from my application? Will this delay the process or stand any rejection. My case is still not assigned to any case officer. Do you think they will be lenient and ignore?
you can use update us. many did.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I would still file a Form 1023

You have not made any false claims or a cardinal mistake

It’s just an misunderstanding of the rules

Relax

Cheers

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
I would still file a Form 1023

You have not made any false claims or a cardinal mistake

It’s just an misunderstanding of the rules

Relax

Cheers
1023 is an old way of "update us"... agents who file hundreds of cases tend to use update us form as per the guidelines they get. :sorry:
at least how i got explained.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1023 is an old way of "update us"... agents who file hundreds of cases tend to use update us form as per the guidelines they get. :sorry:
at least how i got explained.
Thank you Newbienz and Andreyx for your kind advise. I have used 'update us' to notify this mistake. Hopefully, the case officer will be kind and there will be no delay in the process due to this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts