Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working in France on a scientist visa which expires in several months. I am living with, and am in a PACS relationship with, my French partner.

We our thinking about our mutual future, in particular, how to stay together logistically.

Once my contract finishes, and my visa ends, I could secure another scientific contract in France. The problem would mostly sort itself out in this case. I believe I am also eligible to collect unemployment for up to a year, which would allow me to extend my residence permit.

However, it is often advised to do postdocs (short term work contracts) abroad to further your career. My partner is unable to follow me to a different country for the forseeable future but supports whatever I/we decide to do.

Obviously, if I leave France for another country, I would need to be able to return frequently to visit my partner. I would also need to be able to return to France to be with my partner eventually, whenever that contract ends.

Do I have any rights, as the (visa-on-arrival passport-holder) partner of a French citizen, with whom I am in PACS, for frequent/successive visits to France? For argument's sake, let's assume that I move to a country outside the EU and so my visits are subject to passport control on entry.

If I get a 'vie privée et familial' visa, will it 'lapse' if I am not actually living in France most of the time?

Is there any visa I can get which would allow me to visit as often as I want, but physically work elsewhere? If so, could I find a job in France (legally speaking, from the visa perspective) when I return?

Is there anything we can do which would make this process easier?

And finally, if I were to apply for French nationality eventually (which I can do if I work for 2 more years in France), is my 'living in France' timer reset to 0 if I move abroad for 2 years?

It's a strange situation, so thank you in advance. :hug:

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
There are a number of aspects to consider here, and ultimately, you're the one who will have to take the decision which way to go.

Once my contract finishes, and my visa ends, I could secure another scientific contract in France. The problem would mostly sort itself out in this case. I believe I am also eligible to collect unemployment for up to a year, which would allow me to extend my residence permit.
Yes, this would sort out your situation. One consideration, though, if you stick around to collect unemployment - while on unemployment you are expected to be seriously looking for another job. At the moment, that's not very tightly controlled, but one of the "labor reforms" Macron has been proposing is a tightening up of the unemployment system, including possibly a limit on how many job offers you could turn down before your unemployment would be shut off. Nice problem to have, I suppose, but I just mention it because there could be other changes to the chomage system.

Obviously, if I leave France for another country, I would need to be able to return frequently to visit my partner. I would also need to be able to return to France to be with my partner eventually, whenever that contract ends.
Visiting is not a problem - there is always the 90 day Schengen tourist allowance for you as an American. However, on your "return" to France, you go back to square one as far as visas are concerned - whether a work visa (if you have a job lined up) or a vie privée et famililale, which is probably no problem, but is not "guaranteed" for a PACS partner.
Do I have any rights, as the (visa-on-arrival passport-holder) partner of a French citizen, with whom I am in PACS, for frequent/successive visits to France? For argument's sake, let's assume that I move to a country outside the EU and so my visits are subject to passport control on entry.
As already mentioned, you still have the old 90 days in 180 day period thing as a US citizen. They have been talking about changing that, though, given that the US does not extend reciprocal consideration to all member countries of the EU. So far it is just a "threat" but it's one of those news items you would want to watch.
f I get a 'vie privée et familial' visa, will it 'lapse' if I am not actually living in France most of the time?

Is there any visa I can get which would allow me to visit as often as I want, but physically work elsewhere? If so, could I find a job in France (legally speaking, from the visa perspective) when I return?

Is there anything we can do which would make this process easier?
At carte de séjour renewal time you have to prove that you are resident in France - which means the standard utility bills and can mean they'll want to see a tax assessment form (filed jointly with your PACS partner, potentially). It's not so much a matter of the residence permit "lapsing" as it is your ability to prove your residence status at renewal time. If you're working elsewhere, chances are you'll be subject to taxes in that country, and I sort of doubt you want to pay double taxes on your salary just to keep your residence permit "renewable." There might be some way on a "vie privée et familiale to be recognized as working only "temporarily" outside of France - but you'd have to ask perhaps the Fisc about how that might work.

And finally, if I were to apply for French nationality eventually (which I can do if I work for 2 more years in France), is my 'living in France' timer reset to 0 if I move abroad for 2 years?
As a mere PACS partner I don't think there is much you can do. Moving abroad resets the clock to 0. There may be more possibilities if you want to consider marriage to your French partner. Spouses are expected to maintain a household/residence in common and must file taxes together from that address. I'm not sure how it would all work, but in your situation it's definitely an avenue I'd explore.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts