Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As those who have received their grants recently would know, the Australian government has created a website:

www.skilledmigrant.gov.au

where new migrants can have their CVs registered so they can be matched with job opportunities. I have yet to do this myself but has anyone on this forum done this? Did it help in getting job opportunities? Please share your experience in this regards.

Similarly, I have heard that Centrelink also helps in the job search. What are people's experiences in getting a job through Centrelink? Please contribute so others may benefit as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As those who have received their grants recently would know, the Australian government has created a website:

where new migrants can have their CVs registered so they can be matched with job opportunities. I have yet to do this myself but has anyone on this forum done this? Did it help in getting job opportunities? Please share your experience in this regards.

Similarly, I have heard that Centrelink also helps in the job search. What are people's experiences in getting a job through Centrelink? Please contribute so others may benefit as well.
I have done this a fortnight ago. After updating the CV I tried searching the jobs and could not find any. Whereas, I could find numerous openings listed on Seek and LinkedIn. So don't be much dependant on that website.

Update your CV on Seek and profile on LinkedIn. Get a few recommendations. That would help.

Reactions: gares

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done this a fortnight ago. After updating the CV I tried searching the jobs and could not find any. Whereas, I could find numerous openings listed on Seek and LinkedIn. So don't be much dependant on that website.

Update your CV on Seek and profile on LinkedIn. Get a few recommendations. That would help.
Many thanks!!! Yes, I will definitely pursue other avenues as well... just wanted to get a sense of how useful this particular website might be. I hope others will also contribute their experience on this thread. I am planning to register in the next few days and if I am successful in landing a job through this website I will be sure to give everyone an update.

·
Registered
760 Posts

As advised in the Visa Grant Notice I also did register and searched for jobs after that a couple of times therein but found nothing relevant and no openings as well...haven't used that website since 6/7 months....

You should register there but look for jobs on seek,hays and many others alike...

Best luck

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

just concentrate on seek and linked-in, decide ur city where are you moving and try to connect to recruiters of ur field.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As advised in the Visa Grant Notice I also did register and searched for jobs after that a couple of times therein but found nothing relevant and no openings as well...haven't used that website since 6/7 months....

You should register there but look for jobs on seek,hays and many others alike...

Best luck
The reason that no one posts openings on the skilled migrant website is perhaps that the site is for people who have got a grant. They are not necessarily in Australia. Moreover, employers are not sure when they would arrive in Oz.

So employers prefer posting job openings on the job sites like Seek, Careerone and LinkedIn over SkilledMigrant.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The reason that no one posts openings on the skilled migrant website is perhaps that the site is for people who have got a grant. They are not necessarily in Australia. Moreover, employers are not sure when they would arrive in Oz.

So employers prefer posting job openings on the job sites like Seek, Careerone and LinkedIn over SkilledMigrant.
Thanks for updating....

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
my husband is working, i am looking for a job and my daughter goes to childcare, if you register with centrelink the only benefit you get as someone seeking a job is the childcare rebate from centrelink, other than that nothing much, we were getting only child care benefit till i registered and the number of hours i could put my daughter at CC was 24 hours but the moment i registered with centrelink they increased it to 50 hours and we started getting the rebate as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.