Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My age is 25 (30 points)and i did my b.Tech in electrical & electronics engineering (15 points).
I have 7.5 each in IELTS (10 points)
I have 5 years of work experience as software engineer.

I recently consulted a migration agent for skill assesment and 189 visa. She advised me that my i need 6 years experience to be considered as SKILLED and points only after the 6 years can be claimed. Hence at present i am not suitable to apply for PR.

can anyone advice me if i get 8.0 each in ielts and apply as electrical engineer with 0 years of experience. Can i get a positive outcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The issue isn't the number of points you can claim, it's getting a positive skills assessment which is mandatory. If you apply under an ICT occupation, ACS will assess your education and experience and if your degree is not an ICT major they will require you to have 6 years of working experience in order to gain a positive skills assessment. If you want to apply as an engineer, you'd need to see whether Engineers Australia would give a positive skills assessment with no experience.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi all,

My age is 25 (30 points)and i did my b.Tech in electrical & electronics engineering (15 points).
I have 7.5 each in IELTS (10 points)
I have 5 years of work experience as software engineer.

I recently consulted a migration agent for skill assesment and 189 visa. She advised me that my i need 6 years experience to be considered as SKILLED and points only after the 6 years can be claimed. Hence at present i am not suitable to apply for PR.

can anyone advice me if i get 8.0 each in ielts and apply as electrical engineer with 0 years of experience. Can i get a positive outcome.

Thanks
BTech E&EE might not have Software Engineering subjects (at least not at the level that ACS requires), so the agent is right in saying that you would need at least 6 years of experience to get a positive assessment. You will have to apply under RPL which requires you to have 6 years of experience. But, this is assuming that your qualification does not have enough ICT content. If you think it does, then search these forums for previous threads related to E&EE and see if applicants were successful to get assessed as software engineers without having to go the RPL route. Also study the course content requirements for your occupation from ANZSCO-Descriptions.pdf and how ACS calculates the suitability criteria from Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts