Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
A diamond necklace for the mom because she's the one who will be going through the sleepless nights and dirty diapers! :D

Here's what I would've loved to have got when I had my baby:

A spa treatment for the mom....manicures, pedicures, massage, etc. and a copy of "What to expect the first year".
Second option - breast pump :D not sure if this is appropriate to give to your boss's wife though.

Nothing for the dad :p (he gets to be your boss, that is more than enough!)

For the baby (any of these)
1. Crib bedding set
2. Crib mobile
3. Teethers (not pacifiers as a baby should not be using pacifiers.)
4. Swaddle blankets
5. Baby monitor

I wouldn't recommend clothes because babies outgrow them very quickly and they will receive A LOT of those. Also, do not buy creams, etc as you do not know if it will agree with the baby's delicate skin or not.

Lastly, you could go all Dubai style on the baby and just buy her a gold bracelet with her name engraved on it.

Do they have a baby registry? It would make things so much easier.

Oh and one more thing.....do not buy everything in pink. It's nice for the baby to be dressed in some other colours too.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Disagree about pacifiers... My little sister is 22. And still hides that she will suck her thumb when she is sleeping! A pacifier you can always take away, a thumb is a life long issue for some. ;)

When is the baby due? Are they having a baby shower? If it is work chippin in, then maybe you guys can go in and get a 'big' ticket item like a stroller or a car seat. One of the high tech outdoorsy strollers or a super duper nice car seat can be very expensive so a number of people going in together might be just the type of thing to get. Style and use is important, so best to just ask the dad exactly what to get. Unless this isnt their first child... as then they probly already have those items and go with Debbie parent gift idea.

Suggest to just ask the dad.

Reactions: pamela0810

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you can find it.. a Diaper Genie! I think that's the most important thing you have to get for someone having a baby. :p

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I have to point out that this is their second child, which makes it a bit more difficult.

I had thought of a gift voucher at some baby shop, but it seems a bit impersonal. More than anything, I am thinking there should be something in the context of being Jordanian that we could get that would be in line with Arabic culture?

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I like the professional portrait(s) idea, Katie. Good one.

Carl, as a suggestion if you were to follow up on this idea, what if the pics if were taken in a news/documentary style in black and white?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had a look at the website, and there's a few things I like there (ugh - can't believe I'm stating it as such :) )

But the idea of the professional photographer sounds good - although black and white, as classic as it is, probably won't float everybody's boat. I guess we can always ask the photographer to give them an abundance of options.

What's nice about the idea is it captures the family - and not something that can fail the test of time.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A diamond necklace for the mom because she's the one who will be going through the sleepless nights and dirty diapers! :D

Here's what I would've loved to have got when I had my baby:

A spa treatment for the mom....manicures, pedicures, massage, etc. and a copy of "What to expect the first year". Bit scared to venture down this avenue - if they were Western no problem...
Second option - breast pump :D not sure if this is appropriate to give to your boss's wife though. NO WAY :D

Nothing for the dad :p (he gets to be your boss, that is more than enough!)

For the baby (any of these)
1. Crib bedding set
2. Crib mobile
3. Teethers (not pacifiers as a baby should not be using pacifiers.)
4. Swaddle blankets
5. Baby monitor

I wouldn't recommend clothes because babies outgrow them very quickly and they will receive A LOT of those. Also, do not buy creams, etc as you do not know if it will agree with the baby's delicate skin or not.

Lastly, you could go all Dubai style on the baby and just buy her a gold bracelet with her name engraved on it.

Do they have a baby registry? It would make things so much easier.

Oh and one more thing.....do not buy everything in pink. It's nice for the baby to be dressed in some other colours too. What makes you think I like pink??? :D
If it was up to me, I'd buy them a cd player and some techno cd's. Gotta get the kids hooked early... Just joking.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disagree about pacifiers... My little sister is 22. And still hides that she will suck her thumb when she is sleeping! A pacifier you can always take away, a thumb is a life long issue for some. ;) Come on, admit it. It's you that still nom nom nom your thumb

When is the baby due? Are they having a baby shower? If it is work chippin in, then maybe you guys can go in and get a 'big' ticket item like a stroller or a car seat. One of the high tech outdoorsy strollers Pimped up Stroller? or a super duper nice car seat can be very expensive so a number of people going in together might be just the type of thing to get. Style and use is important, so best to just ask the dad exactly what to get. Unless this isnt their first child... as then they probly already have those items and go with Debbie parent gift idea.

Suggest to just ask the dad.
Well, my boss doesn't divulge too much. And we want to go all out surprise on this one.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I don't know what you will collect, but - in my experience with Middle Eastern families and newborns - it has generally been gold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
BedouGirl said:
I don't know what you will collect, but - in my experience with Middle Eastern families and newborns - it has generally been gold.
Yeah Gold or maybe Diamond........ Seems like your live the expats dream

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
dubaidreams said:
Yeah Gold or maybe Diamond........ Seems like your live the expats dream
Not at all. You should not make assumptions about people you don't know. If you know anything about traditions in this part of the world, then you will know gold is a traditional gift to a Middle Eastern family for the birth of a child. I made no mention of diamonds. They are doing a collection in the office and it may be possible that they can do this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
There's a LivingSocial deal for a family photo shoot today - AED599 from AED3000. Depending on the size of the collection you might be able to get that and some gold...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts