Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Des bonjours à tout le monde!

This is my first post to this site.

We (myself, my wife and our two daughters) just arrived in Rennes for academic year 2009-2010 this past Wednesday. I will be teaching mathematics in a school year abroad program for rising American 11th and 12th graders. My two daughters (ages 9 and 5) will be attending the local French elementary school (Camille Claudel) with very little preparation -- which is kinda crazy, but we're excited for them to have the opportunity to be immersed!

I am curious if there are any English speaking families in Rennes on this forum with kids of ages close to mine. We are, of course, hoping our daughters (and we) will make new friends with their French classmates/families, but it would be nice if there happen to be other families with similar backgrounds nearby with whom to connect.

All the best,
-Chris-

·
Registered
2 Posts
all the best for Rennes

Hi Chris,
I'm a newby too (actually I just registered to answer to your post).
Me and my partner are currently working at the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, UK and are considering a move to Rennes in Jan 2010.
We only have one kid much younger than yours, but feel free to contact us if you want. You'll easily find my university address if you google "luna informatics edinburgh".

All the best to you and your family for your bold move!
Cheers, Luna

Des bonjours à tout le monde!

This is my first post to this site.

We (myself, my wife and our two daughters) just arrived in Rennes for academic year 2009-2010 this past Wednesday. I will be teaching mathematics in a school year abroad program for rising American 11th and 12th graders. My two daughters (ages 9 and 5) will be attending the local French elementary school (Camille Claudel) with very little preparation -- which is kinda crazy, but we're excited for them to have the opportunity to be immersed!

I am curious if there are any English speaking families in Rennes on this forum with kids of ages close to mine. We are, of course, hoping our daughters (and we) will make new friends with their French classmates/families, but it would be nice if there happen to be other families with similar backgrounds nearby with whom to connect.

All the best,
-Chris-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chris & Luna,

Welcome (and almost welcome) to Rennes. You've picked or been thrown into a very lovely town. I've lived in Rennes for a year and have been haunting this forum for quite some time and have yet to see more than one other person mention our town, so I'm not sure on what your chances will be locating others online.

However, my one piece of advice for meeting other expats of all manner of backgrounds/age groups etc is the pub O'Connell's. You may have already found the place, it's located opposite place du parlement, has english and irish staff and is pretty much a hub of the english speaking expat community here. You may benefit from a visit during a lunch time and having a chat with Stu or Mag who run the place, between them and the rest of the staff they have a real handle on what's going on in the town.

Also the pub itself is a very kid-friendly place, at least during the days/afternoons, and they serve lunch there.

I feel like I'm advertising the place... but when I first arrived and knew nobody, this was my destination once a day for a coffee and this is how I met almost all of the people I know in this town.

Glen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pub O'Connell's

Thanks, will absolutely do!
by chance, do you also know how to get hold of an (even sparsely) furnished 4/5 rooms flat? we'll be moving on the light side (just a few boxes of clothes, books and crookery) and we are dreading the idea of having to buy all furniture and appliances upfront. How do people get furniture on the cheap in Rennes? Is it the usual ikea?
Not to speak about having to find a nursery place for a 9 months old...
Oh dear, I've not even started and I can't wait for the settling in period to be over! I'm not really a good expat specimen ;)

Chris & Luna,

Welcome (and almost welcome) to Rennes. You've picked or been thrown into a very lovely town. I've lived in Rennes for a year and have been haunting this forum for quite some time and have yet to see more than one other person mention our town, so I'm not sure on what your chances will be locating others online.

However, my one piece of advice for meeting other expats of all manner of backgrounds/age groups etc is the pub O'Connell's. You may have already found the place, it's located opposite place du parlement, has english and irish staff and is pretty much a hub of the english speaking expat community here. You may benefit from a visit during a lunch time and having a chat with Stu or Mag who run the place, between them and the rest of the staff they have a real handle on what's going on in the town.

Also the pub itself is a very kid-friendly place, at least during the days/afternoons, and they serve lunch there.

I feel like I'm advertising the place... but when I first arrived and knew nobody, this was my destination once a day for a coffee and this is how I met almost all of the people I know in this town.

Glen.

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
Thanks, will absolutely do!
by chance, do you also know how to get hold of an (even sparsely) furnished 4/5 rooms flat? we'll be moving on the light side (just a few boxes of clothes, books and crookery) and we are dreading the idea of having to buy all furniture and appliances upfront. How do people get furniture on the cheap in Rennes? Is it the usual ikea?
Not to speak about having to find a nursery place for a 9 months old...
Oh dear, I've not even started and I can't wait for the settling in period to be over! I'm not really a good expat specimen ;)
Large furnished places can be tricky to find, as they are considered to be almost like hotel rooms. If you're going to be affiliated in any way with a school, ask around the school as there are often groups that help academics find accommodation.

As for cheap furnishings, IKEA is one plan. Brocantes (boot or rummage sales) are popular, too, though you've missed the "high season" for the town sponsored ones. September and the beginning of October are very popular times and it seems just about all the towns run them.

Don't worry too much about finding a nursery place. Many towns have crêches or halte garderies which are open to those living in the town. Ask at the mairie (town hall) when you arrive.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like Bev said, furnished places are usually studio apartments for students, bigger places will almost always be unfurnished. And be ready for what unfurnished means in France, usually this: No stove tops, no oven, no fridge, no washing machine, no light fittings (shades etc, the wires and bulb-socket are still there)... there's a very different idea of renting in this country, as least compared to Australia and the UK.

Brocantes are brilliant, but Bev's right (when is she ever not?) you've missed the high season, and the big two day one in Rennes was a few weeks back. However we do have an IKEA a few minutes drive out of town, and there is a great second hand shop called La Trocante - the prices are reasonable and the goods range from complete crap to great (with prices varying accordingly). It's located nearish the train station. You'll probably save a little compared with ikea, won't have to travel as far, and won't end up with a flat that looks like an ikea catalog.

Good luck with the move,

G.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to Rennes...

Hi Glen (and Chris) -

I am new to Rennes and was searching this site for info on expats and such when I came across Chris' post. Funny thing - I am now the math teacher for School Year Abroad France - the same job that Chris had.

I have come by myself though - no family, so I am anxious to meet people in the area. I speak almost no French right now (aside from Merci and Bonjour) so it is probably best for me to try to make some English speaking friends first. I just arrived yesterday, but I did walk by O'Connells today on my little tour, and thanks to your recommendation, I will definitely be checking it out.

I'm also looking for a fitness center and/or place to run. I'm a pretty active person and am aching to get in some exercise other than walking, plus the food and wine has already been delicious and I do not need all that to catch up with me :)

Thanks! - Amy

Chris & Luna,

Glen.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi,
I'm a Hawaii gal who just moved to a town outside of Rennes, and am excited to make new American/Anglophone friends. I married a Frenchman, and have finally come to join my husband after many months of visa preparation. I'm still settling in so it would be great if we all meet in glorious Bretagne. xoxo, hulagirl

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Amy, all!

I was searching to this forum to see how other has experienced their staying in Rennes.

Amy, have you find any fitness center for you? I am also searching possibilities to get more diversity to my excercise. :) Also possibilities to learn French is in my interest.

Happy staying in Rennes!

Leif

Hi Glen (and Chris) -

I am new to Rennes and was searching this site for info on expats and such when I came across Chris' post. Funny thing - I am now the math teacher for School Year Abroad France - the same job that Chris had.

I have come by myself though - no family, so I am anxious to meet people in the area. I speak almost no French right now (aside from Merci and Bonjour) so it is probably best for me to try to make some English speaking friends first. I just arrived yesterday, but I did walk by O'Connells today on my little tour, and thanks to your recommendation, I will definitely be checking it out.

I'm also looking for a fitness center and/or place to run. I'm a pretty active person and am aching to get in some exercise other than walking, plus the food and wine has already been delicious and I do not need all that to catch up with me :)

Thanks! - Amy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone, I would also like to find other expats from the US. I was deported from the US last sept. even though my wife and 2 children are Americans. I speak almost no French and would like to find some friends around Rennes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello fellow expats in and around Rennes,

I've lived in Ille-et-Vilaine since 1977 and have now retired to Chantepie which is a commune that's situated to the south-east of Rennes on the n° 1 bus route.

Interesting to see so many expats pop-up in the area - I know School Year Abroad having lodged students at home some years back. It was a great experience but had to resist speaking English.

We are not an every day English speaking family as my wife is French and we rarely speak English together.

Rennes is an agreeable and fantastic place to live as is la Bretagne - would not dream of going back to the UK !!!

I see lots of questions have already been answered so won't add any more replies.

If the weather is good tomorrow will be out with my classic car to our monthly meeting at les Etangs d'Apigné, see : réunion mensuelle à Rennes aux Etangs Apigné - Passion Autos Prestiges & Anciennes

May perhaps see you there ?

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
playgroup

Hi,
I'm looking for english or american families to create a playgroup for our children. A playgroup would be a good opportunity for our kids and us to join together and meet new people. Please let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking for english or american families to create a playgroup for our children. A playgroup would be a good opportunity for our kids and us to join together and meet new people. Please let me know if you are interested.
What age group are you looking for ? My son is 6, not to fluent in english but it would do him good to meet more anglophones - I'm open to ideas and based in Chantepie.
Cheers Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I'm a Hawaii gal who just moved to a town outside of Rennes, and am excited to make new American/Anglophone friends. I married a Frenchman, and have finally come to join my husband after many months of visa preparation. I'm still settling in so it would be great if we all meet in glorious Bretagne. xoxo, hulagirl

Hi Everyone!

I've just moved to a town outside of Rennes, my husband is French but I am British and I am looking to meet English-speaking people living here. Please get in touch!
Thanks, Noelle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts