Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expats in Querétaro

Hi all I have been here in queretaro now for almost 2.5 yrs I have found no real groups that are still together for americans to get together and socialize I propose we start our own group so we can get together and have a weekly or monthly lunches and meet everyone and find and meet the new americans in the area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Jim,
I am an American and live in the centro histórico of Querétaro (my wife and I run a Spanish school here). In Jurica/Juriquilla there is the newcommers club and I know they have regular meetings. Downtown, the closest thing is Marron Cafe. Though it is not formal there are always local foreigners going there for a coffee and conversation. There used to be some events and Sunny's but I believe they closed a few days ago.

I hope this helps. Que tengas un buen día.

M

·
0 Posts
New to Forum

Hi all I have been here in queretaro now for almost 2.5 yrs I have found no real groups that are still together for americans to get together and socialize I propose we start our own group so we can get together and have a weekly or monthly lunches and meet everyone and find and meet the new americans in the area.
Jim: I just joined the forum, with a strong interest in relocating to Queretaro in about a year and half. Mind telling me how you like the city, and why you chose Queretaro? Any other comments regarding your experience would be appreciated. ~Michael~ in Edmonds, WA USA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Expats in Queretaro

Hello:
I would be thrilled to go to Queretaro for lunch or whatever. I live in Tequis and there are few, if any, I can socialize with. The town is wonderful but majority are Mexican families. I have only met people who pass through so please contact me if you want to meet. I would love to learn more about Queretaro and the expat community.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi

it is time to start one and git envolved in helping american companys to move here
i live in Juriquilla, queretaro for a year and really wnat to do something

michael

·
Registered
12 Posts
Queretaro

Hi:
How would you like to get this started? I'm will to go into the town but don't know my way around very well. I know my way to the areas of shopping......Liverpool, Costco, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is time to start one and git envolved in helping american companys to move here
i live in Juriquilla, queretaro for a year and really wnat to do something

michael

Wow well hello neighbor you live in Juriquilla I live in Privada Juriquilla so we are no more the 5 minutes apart depending on exactly where you live.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim: I just joined the forum, with a strong interest in relocating to Queretaro in about a year and half. Mind telling me how you like the city, and why you chose Queretaro? Any other comments regarding your experience would be appreciated. ~Michael~ in Edmonds, WA USA
Well originally when I came to Qro iwas flying blind honestly. I came here with my wife because this was where her family was from. After getting here i suddenly realized how great it was. It is a large city but with the small town flair. I really enjoy it here. I live in Juriquilla and at least by my thoughts one of the more upscale private and cheap parts of town ( well cheap by American standards defiantly not cheap by Mexican Standard). Please ask any questions you may have I will try to answer them if I can. When you get ready for your move let me know I own a logistics company maybe I can help doing the transfer and getting you here.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello:
I would be thrilled to go to Queretaro for lunch or whatever. I live in Tequis and there are few, if any, I can socialize with. The town is wonderful but majority are Mexican families. I have only met people who pass through so please contact me if you want to meet. I would love to learn more about Queretaro and the expat community.

Hi, Anytime you are headed to qro let me know. We can set a meeting time. I would love to get meet and have a beer. I am in juriquilla just out side of QRo so we can meet almost anywhere.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trip to Qro

Hi Jim:
Somehow, I just received your reply.

I will definitely send you a note within the next couple of weeks to meet. As I attend school for Spanish and Physical Therapy - post surgery, weekends are better for me. Are Sunday's a good day for you?
Joanne

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
You both now have enough posts to be able to use the Private Message System for this type of communication. Please do that and, later, I'll delete the postings that are simply the two of you making a date. Glad the forum facilitated that.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been in Queretaro for almost 2 years now and too haven't really found any 'groups' to go for the occasional beer with.

I'm a bit younger compared to your general retiree, but nonetheless wouldn't mind meeting a couple of locals. Rather than picking the more 'suburban' setting of Jurica or Juriquilla, I'm in Milenio III for the moment, but have actually been thinking of picking up a property in one of the former and building a place.

But like I said, I'd definitely be up for some sort of gathering, maybe in plaza nautica or the 'clap' irish pub if most seem to be located around those two places?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been in Queretaro for almost 2 years now and too haven't really found any 'groups' to go for the occasional beer with.

I'm a bit younger compared to your general retiree, but nonetheless wouldn't mind meeting a couple of locals. Rather than picking the more 'suburban' setting of Jurica or Juriquilla, I'm in Milenio III for the moment, but have actually been thinking of picking up a property in one of the former and building a place.

But like I said, I'd definitely be up for some sort of gathering, maybe in plaza nautica or the 'clap' irish pub if most seem to be located around those two places?

Cheers
I know Mileno III well this is where my business partner lives. That is about 15-20 minutes from me. I see you say your are much younger then the general retiree. It is the same for me. Well, infact I am not retired LOL. Wish I were but still chugging along and working. So how old are you anyway?

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just arrived in Jurica

Jim

We are also interested in getting plugged into the expat community. I was transferred here from Mty (we left for security reasons) but we are originally from Boulder, CO. My wife is a US trained and Mexico licensed chiropractor and my son will be starting 10th grade at Prepa Tec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yet more questions about Queretaro!!

Well originally when I came to Qro iwas flying blind honestly. I came here with my wife because this was where her family was from. After getting here i suddenly realized how great it was. It is a large city but with the small town flair. I really enjoy it here. I live in Juriquilla and at least by my thoughts one of the more upscale private and cheap parts of town ( well cheap by American standards defiantly not cheap by Mexican Standard). Please ask any questions you may have I will try to answer them if I can. When you get ready for your move let me know I own a logistics company maybe I can help doing the transfer and getting you here.

Jim
I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp already but here I am again. My husband and I will relocate to Queretaro and if I understand correctly Juriquilla is one of the nicest places to live. Still, I read somewhere that it is situated in a horrible area and the access roads are just pitiful, making the traffic quite unbearable. Could you tell me if something has been done about this (more roads, bridges, etc.) and what you see the advantages are to live in Juriquilla.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm not sure where you have heard bad things about Juraquilla. Yes there is a lot of construction of houses, roads and colleges but we really enjoy going there. Granted we go for the great seafood in a restaurant on the large lake but never a problem. To me Juraquilla is a very large US style suburban community with some extremely large private homes on the lake and a golf resort.
This isn't why we moved to Mexico so other than eating we more often visit the historical center or the stores on Bernardo Quintana.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Living in Juriquilla

As stated by Conklinwh, the situation is not as bad as you think. At the moment, the highway from Qro to Juriquilla is a mess, but that is because it is being widened, resurfaced and improved. Juriquilla is very diverse and fairly new. Personnally, I prefer living in Jurica, which is an older suburb with trees, but it does not have the diversity of housing, commercial areas or the univesities of Juriquilla. If you want to live in a relatively quiet suburb of Qro with light traffic and a good quality of life, Juriquilla is a good choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As stated by Conklinwh, the situation is not as bad as you think. At the moment, the highway from Qro to Juriquilla is a mess, but that is because it is being widened, resurfaced and improved. Juriquilla is very diverse and fairly new. Personnally, I prefer living in Jurica, which is an older suburb with trees, but it does not have the diversity of housing, commercial areas or the univesities of Juriquilla. If you want to live in a relatively quiet suburb of Qro with light traffic and a good quality of life, Juriquilla is a good choice.
Thank you Conklinwh and Patrock for your replies, I do appreciate taking the time. I was referring to this posting from HALFMEXi :

"Let me just say... the only healthy place left in Queretaro is Tequisquiapan (about 25 minutes from Queretaro city), land of the opal mines, thermal waters and a nice peaceful European feel. The ****** enclaves of Jurica y Juriquilla on the highway to San Miguel de Allende are a really lonely feeling place - no views, but high prices, and in downtown a crumbling wall divides the Country Club crowd from the locals that have lived there, their entire lives - very sad - segregation.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Couple things about living in Mexico:
-Most people are very biased about where they live which is great. I do get uncomfortable with people that bad mouth other options.
-The options within Mexico and within Queretero are varied. One person's nirvana is another's hell. You really need experience a set of options before you choose as this really a very personal decision. It is always suggested that you visit, pick one or more places and rent for minimum of a month.

Within the state of Queretaro you have the historic center, places on the mountains overlooking Queretaro, Juraquilla, Jurica, Tequesquiapan, Bernal and probably more. All will appeal to different folk.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Jim
Hi -- I am aware that your above post was dated May 2010, but since I am so interested in Queretaro, I'd like your opinion about what I found on a website of ecologists in Queretaro:

(Snipped - See rules requiring English postings)

I will definitely get in touch with you at moving time, so you can help me with the process.

Any information you'd like to share about Queretaro and/or Juriquilla will be appreciated. I am having these dreams that I have finally made it there and the pollution and the dirt on the streets is such that I have to return the same day to the States.

Thank you!!
Ines

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.