Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently living in Europe with my family (3 kids / wife) and working for a healthcare company. My contract is expat. I am originally from Canada.

I am considering making a move to another company but this time this company is in the U.S.

As a Canadian, what are the odds that they would offer me an expat contract for the U.S. Being Canadian I don't want to give up my social benefits.

Would love everyone's opinion on this.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
What you're asking a basically a two-part question.

Can you get an "expat contract" to work in the US? Yeah, probably - since you are a Canadian citizen and technically an "expat." To some extent you would still need certain "expat" considerations, like visa support, moving costs, tax assistance, etc. However, since you aren't coming from the employer's Canadian office, the "expat contract" may or may not use your home country as the basis of reference in their "expat" contract. For example: if the job doesn't work out, where would you expect them to repatriate you to? Switzerland or Canada?

The second part of your question relates to how the US handles job contracts - which is that often there is simply an implied contract. In your case, they would have to deal with the visa issue, and relocation from where you are currently living, but chances are that they'd be more likely to make that part of your offer package, and then put you on the regular "local payroll" when it comes to social insurances (of which there aren't many in the US) and perks like a company car, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts