Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Its early days yet as there is no offer but need to know some basic facts. We are hoping to move somewhere near Le Vesinet as this is near the HO. We currently live in Surrey in a 3 bedroom 2 reception, dinning room mid Terrance with yard. And the eldest is enrolled to be at a very good local school. Looking at either AUg/Sep 2011 end of year at the latest.

1. expat salary `Vs Relocation salary (no perks you on your own).
what would you need to have as a basic start for a family of 4 (2 under 4) and live in 78. expat or local wage.

EG: It looks like you need 2000/3000 on rental.
what extras did you not get in your expat package that you think you need

2. reason to school at International school and not French system when kids are only 4 yr and 15 months. Basic cost of private school. And its it that hard to get your kid in at short notice

3. cost that you did not factor in,

4. how far does your money go.. eg if your on £50, £80, £100 what would you need to live the same lifestyle in the 78.

As its early days yet just need to know if when an offer comes in if to keep going or run for the hills.

We do want to live in france and are happy to have this as the last stop and not move back to the UK or OZ.

All tips welcome
Ret

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not the best person to help you on questions of cost of living, as I originally came to France from the US, via Germany - and that was a long time ago. But for some idea of prices, take a look at listings in IMMOBILIER De Particulier A Particulier - Annonces immobilières de particuliers - Immobilier | PAP or Petites annonces immobilières | 1er site immobilier français | Portail immo Le Vesinet is a very nice town which is part of the western side of Paris, where many expats like to live. It certainly has the reputation for being on the expensive side.

The houses tend to be on the small side, and while many have yards, they aren't terribly large yards. It might be worthwhile to do some cruising around using Google Earth to get a feel for what the town looks like.

With your kids so young, there's probably no reason not to make use of the public schools. Your kids are at precisely the right age to soak up the language like little sponges. But if you want more information about English language schools, you may want to get a copy of the AAWE Guide to Education AAWE Publications which has quite a bit of information about the various international and English language programs available in the Paris area.

I'll leave you to those with more experience of lifestyles in the UK for comparisons, but I have always found that it's difficult to judge salaries between countries precisely because you tend to spend your money on different things in a new country. (At least I sure do.) For example, depending on what line of work you're in and exactly where you're living, it may well be possible to get by without a car. That's a huge savings.

OTOH, if you are "on your own" for the move and all, plan on spending something for language lessons since you will need French to get by. (Can't have the kids translating for you all the time!) There are lots of little things like this.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Still not sure but even if we are "on our own" the plan is to find.
1. a nice village close to Chatuo as this is where the office is. (interested in the possibility of commuting from a smaller village just need some guide to what ones)
2. French school for both kids as they are under 4 and no plans to return to UK or OZ

I think I just want to know if they say the salary is £50, £100 £150 what is need to live a good normal life. With plans to one day sell in UK and buy a family home.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi - I would say cost of living here is higher here than in the UK. I think a gross 50K € would be an absolute minimum for a family of 4 - and that assumes no mortgage. Everyone's "good normal" life is different - but with so many people looking at your post and no-one sticking their neck out you'll appreciate how difficult it is to give you an idea of living costs. It's just more expensive here.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Thanks,
Still not sure but even if we are "on our own" the plan is to find.
1. a nice village close to Chatuo as this is where the office is. (interested in the possibility of commuting from a smaller village just need some guide to what ones)
2. French school for both kids as they are under 4 and no plans to return to UK or OZ

I think I just want to know if they say the salary is £50, £100 £150 what is need to live a good normal life. With plans to one day sell in UK and buy a family home.
There's not really much in the way of "villages" out there on the western side of Paris until you get out toward Versailles or even further south to the plateau of Saclay. It's certainly possible to live a very good life on €50K, €100K or especially €150K. Lots of people do so on considerably less.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bev
Will start looking in to Versilles or further south.

RE sticking neck out on cost. I totally understand.
Just don't want to go and find out we can not buy shoes for the kids when they need them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bev
Will start looking in to Versilles or further south.
If you're looking south, you'll most likely need a car - There isn't a real direct route to Chatou from the south. If you are planning to use public transportation, you could look northwest, although you would still have to make at least one change.

We're going to be working very close to Chatou, and we've found that anything close is going to be extremely small (both house and yard) and very expensive. If you look further out you'll find much cheaper places that are considerably bigger.

As far as international schools vs french schools, you'll have to decide that yourselves. I can tell you that one of the international schools for example is about $33,000/year. Many companies pay for the kids of their expat employees to go there as part of the package.

Good luck,

Caroline

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caroline
Thanks. Will look northwest as well. No to International school local one will be fine. Even if company pays.

What I am getting is the office is in a very nice part of town.
Thanks all and will keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.