Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.
I am up for a job that would move me to Sydney. I'm very excited about the prospect of the move, but have heaps of questions.

1. Cost of living
As I negotiate my salary, I am being told that the cost of living is much lower in Sydney than in New York, where I currently live. Do folks find that to be the case? And if so, by what measure? I'd hate to accept a job for too little, and then have to make unwanted adjustments to my lifestyle.

2. Taxes
To that end, I'm trying to figure out what my net pay will be vs my net pay in the states. Are taxes in Australia higher or lower than those we're used to paying in NYC?

3. Do I need a car? Is it possible to lease a car like in the states, or will I have to buy?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions, but if there are folks on this board who wouldn't mind helping me out with those initial few, I'd be grateful.

All best,
G

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello, all.
I am up for a job that would move me to Sydney. I'm very excited about the prospect of the move, but have heaps of questions.

1. Cost of living
As I negotiate my salary, I am being told that the cost of living is much lower in Sydney than in New York, where I currently live. Do folks find that to be the case? And if so, by what measure? I'd hate to accept a job for too little, and then have to make unwanted adjustments to my lifestyle.

2. Taxes
To that end, I'm trying to figure out what my net pay will be vs my net pay in the states. Are taxes in Australia higher or lower than those we're used to paying in NYC?

3. Do I need a car? Is it possible to lease a car like in the states, or will I have to buy?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions, but if there are folks on this board who wouldn't mind helping me out with those initial few, I'd be grateful.

All best,
G
Tax:
A person on the average wage of about $ 5,500.00 Gross Monthly pay (average Australian Male Full time earnings) will pay $ 1,304.50 in Tax and Medicare. About 23.7% of the wage.

A person on $24,500.00 Gross Monthly pay (4.4 times average Australian Male Full time earnings) will pay $ 9,666.50 Tax and Medicare. About 39.5% of wages.

Car
Most people buy a car, either cash or on credit.
Some people will lease a car, normally via the company they are working for.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Gmoney:

Ex-NYer living in Sydney for the last 6 yrs

1. Cost of Living, not much less, about the same really (comparing Queens to Sydney). If coming from Manhattan then the rent should be less, but other things about the same or more.
2. Taxes - depends on if you're above 120k or not. Until you get to that point it's pretty comparable to total tax (I think about 3% total for myself more than the US). Above 120k you get much more tax put on income here than back in the USA (the top rate of 39.5% kicks in whereas in the US the top rate kicks in about 240k).
3. If living in the CBD not too much (near a train line), but you will get one to get around parts of SYD and also to get out of SYD. Leasing is typically done through your company as there is a tax advantage (search for Novated Lease). Buying is fine too - look at one of the car websites for prices: carsales.com.au OR drive.com.au

Used cars are very common here, so don't be afraid of getting one of those, prices tend to be higher than in the USA.

Hello, all.

1. Cost of living

2. Taxes

All best,
G

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi G

welcome to the forum

have you seen teh sticky thread cost of living? it has more or less everything in it. that might help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts