Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of our visa application requires Expat health insurance. Do you know of any plan that is friendly to "pre-existing conditions" that don't require a 12 month waiting period?

Also, my limited understanding from reading the link in this Sticky is that after 3 months of legal residence in France, one can apply for PUMa. I understand PUMa does not have pre-existing exclusions. I also understand it may take several months for PUMa to be approved and that my 1 year of Expat insurance fills in the time gap. My visa will be long-stay Visitor visa.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Normally private cover does not like pre existing conditions I believe that many expat Americans use AARO but I am sure someone will be along in a minute
Once you are in PUMA any long term pre existing condition eg diabetes is totally covered by the French state

·
Administrator
50,380 Posts
As Crabtree says, many, if not most private health plans seem to have major pre-existing conditions clauses. Do take a look at the AARO plan. Plan Summary It has been a long time since I was an AARO member, but the plan has an excellent reputation and you should be able to contact either AARO or their insurance broker for details and advice about pre-existing conditions. (Membership in AARO is required if you want the insurance plan, but could be a very good investment for your first few years of living in France, if only for the tax and other "legal" information available from the association.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As Crabtree says, many, if not most private health plans seem to have major pre-existing conditions clauses. Do take a look at the AARO plan. Plan Summary
ARRO generally has a 6 or 12-month waiting period. We have nothing major that I am worried about so I am probably overthinking this. I thought many applicants might have the initial concern for their 1st year in France without PUMa and it would be a good discussion. Thank you Bev.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If you can find private health insurance that enables you to cancel (once you have been accepted into the French health system), I would suggest you give it serious consideration. Check which countries are covered by policies on offer and which ones you really need (perhaps you could find some other suitable cover for the US, given US cover is usually the most expensive). I believe sometimes CPAM overlooks exclusions for pre-existing conditions, but of course you cannot necessarily rely on that and you need to consider which of any pre-existing conditions are important. Unfortunately you are very likely to have to pay a high premium to deal with pre-existing conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts