Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Hope this thread doesn't already exist - if so, you can delete this one.

I was wondering if some of you have experience with living in Barcelona. I'm having an interview for an internship there next week, and since they might choose me, I'd like to know some more about the city (and if they don't, I might go anyway).

I'm from the Netherlands myself and speak Spanish fluently (as does my girlfriend). We've been talking about moving to Barcelona together (regardless of my potential internship), but we are unsure about some practical things, such as:

- is it doable to get an apartment there;
- is it possible to find a decent job (considering the weak Spanish economy today);
- is it difficult to find social contacts;

In other words, the stuff you need to be able to settle in properly. I know that not everyone might have the same experience, but some general information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't live in the city so maybe not perfectly qualified to answer your questions, but I will do my best -

Apartments - plenty to choose from, rents probably more expensive than other places in Spain but still cheaper than other major European cities. I guess a lot depends on how central you want to be and/or if you are particular about being in the fashionable places.
Jobs - unemployment isn't as bad as other areas but still quite high. If you have a niche and/or good experience you might be okay.
Social contacts - if you speak Spanish and you are friendly, you shouldn't have any problems in my experience. If you learn Catalan, the locals will love you and open up even more possibilities. Speaking Catalan isn't essential in the centre, more so away from the centre. But, if you are planning to stay long term, learning would be a worthwhile investment. You're in their country after all so is good manners if nothing else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts