Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would be grateful if anyone knows the answers.

My husband has a Singapore license from what I've read above it means he can drive in UK for up to 12 months when we first arrive.

My questions are:

1. Can he buy a car using a Singapore license?
2. Can he buy car insurance using a Singapore license?
3. If he exchanges his Singapore license with a UK one after 6 months, does it mean they will take his Singapore license or can he keep both licenses? He will need to drive in Singapore when he goes to visit his family or in the event he does not become permanent resident of UK he will need his Singapore driving license!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Luckyladyinasia.
Did you find the answer to your questions? I am on a similar decision path. Did you find the answers? Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also have a similar question.
Thought i would ask here for help before contacting DVLA.
Can a Saudi Arabia licence be exchanged for a UK one after 12 months?

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Of the three countries, only Singapore licence can be exchanged for UK one without passing driving tests. Everyone else has to pass both theory and practical tests.
The thing to do is after being in UK for 6 months, you apply for provisional licence (£50) and try to pass driving tests before the year's is up, as you can drive on your existing licence for up to a year after arrival as resident. When you pass, you exchange your licence for a UK one and your original licence will be sent back to your country/state. This is to prevent people using multiple licences to avoid getting penalty points on their UK licence and being disqualified. If you don't pass your test within 12 months, the full learner driver restrictions will be imposed, such as being accompanied at all times by a full licence holder, being banned from motorway and displaying L-plates.
See https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.