Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola
Are there any Australians living in Spain with British passports that have gone through the process of exchanging their Aussie drivers license for a Uk/EU one?
I am now living in Spain and want to drive here, but my Australian license is only good for 3 months. I have a British passport from Birth but will probably return to Australia in a few years.
As I read it, I have to give away my Australian license....
Has anyone got experience with this...some advice please.
Thank you
baklavaa

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
Hola
Are there any Australians living in Spain with British passports that have gone through the process of exchanging their Aussie drivers license for a Uk/EU one?
I am now living in Spain and want to drive here, but my Australian license is only good for 3 months. I have a British passport from Birth but will probably return to Australia in a few years.
As I read it, I have to give away my Australian license....
Has anyone got experience with this...some advice please.
Thank you
baklavaa
:welcome:

yes I'm afraid that's the only way to deal with it - you have to take a driving test here for a Spanish driving licence

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
As far as I know you can only obtain a license for the country where you reside.
You may be able to swap an Aussie one for a UK one but I doubt(not entirely sure) they will give you one if you live in Spain.

If the above is the case then you will have to get your license in Spain which will mean starting from scratch, paying for lessons, doing a theory and practical exam to obtain a Spanish license.
Once you have the Spanish license you will be fine to do a straight swap when back in Australia because unlike the Spanish we recognise other licenses as being valid.

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
As far as I know you can only obtain a license for the country where you reside.
You may be able to swap an Aussie one for a UK one but I doubt(not entirely sure) they will give you one if you live in Spain.

If the above is the case then you will have to get your license in Spain which will mean starting from scratch, paying for lessons, doing a theory and practical exam to obtain a Spanish license.
Once you have the Spanish license you will be fine to do a straight swap when back in Australia because unlike the Spanish we recognise other licenses as being valid.
even if he moved to live in the UK, he'd only be able to drive on the Australian licence for 12 months before having to take a driving test there - you can't swap an Australian licence for a UK one, either

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The gov.uk site tells me this after filling in their little quiz....

You can exchange your driving licence up to 5 years after becoming resident in the UK so long as your licence remains valid. The fee is £43.
With the proviso you are a resident in the UK.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I have a friend, born here, who lived in Australia most of his working life, he had an Australian driving licence, to obtain a Spanish driving licence he had to take the exam and test here in Valverde.

We discussed the ifs and buts of exchanging for a U.K. licence, but found out that even if he had done that he could not have exchanged, his U.K. licence for a Spanish one.

He has now returned to Australia and is using his Australian licence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts