Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all !

I'm a dual Australian / British national living in France. I've bypassed the one year cut off date to exchange my licence for a French one - somebody suggested to me seeing if I could exchange it for a British one.

I've looked into the process & read in a few forums about other people doing this - it seems you have to prove you've been resident for at lest 185 days in Britain.

Does anyone know what would be required to prove this (other than providing an address) and what they might look at to disprove this ? for example, evidence of a UK bank account, a social security number ? things that obviously I don't have.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You have a dam cheek coming on here and expecting people to support you being dishonest! it's people like you that spoil it for others that are genuine. Oh and as a member of this forum I will post where I like thankyou...

·
Registered
533 Posts
As Hertsfem explained no one will help or give you support for dishonesty.

This form is for helping people who are honest and genuine in there intentions.

As your name states you will stay confused!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am seeking genuine advice from people with knowledge & experience in this area,

What I am not seeking is a lecture on moral integrity,

Your comments here do not serve any useful purpose whatsoever, kindly focus your attention elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
ARe you a resident o the UK? Do you plan on being a resident of the UK? If the answer to those questions is no, then you don't qualify for a UK driving licence. There is no way around actually being a resident of the UK. As your not, your only option is to take the driving test in France.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also just to clear things up. When you do your exchange, unless you have a british passport obtained in Britain, you would need to send in your passport, this will show them your visa, stamped in your passport, as well as the date you came into the UK. Thus I'm doubtful you would manage a swap here.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You said your an Australian/ British National so what license do you?

Your post reads you are living in France but wanting to exchange your license. You are correct that people do exchange their license but that is for those who are actually a resident living in the UK.

You clearly stated that you were living in France and when asked if what you would be doing was dishonestly you stated yes it certainly would be. This is why you got the post that you did as people try to bend and break the rules which make it worse for those who actual follow them.

As Nyclon asked do you plan to be a UK resident? If no as stated there is no clear way around it, you'll have to sit your driving test in France.

Have you asked anything in the France forum about driving license?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Remember also there is a little known rule that if you are ineligible to exchange your licence in an EU country, the EU licence you get in exchange in another EU country probably won't be valid in the first country. So in your case, even if you manage to exchange your Aussie licence in UK, it may not be valid for driving in France. OK, if you are just a tourist in France, but if you live there, they can find out your GB licence was obtained through exchange and can refuse to recognise it.

If you have an EU driving licence that has been issued in exchange for a non‑EU licence in the country where you now live, and you wish to move to another EU country with your converted licence, you cannot assume that your new licence will be recognised there as this is up to each EU country.
You will need to check with the local authorities in your new country which conditions apply for recognising non-EU licences.
EU - Driving licences renewing/converting...when moving abroad

So it's up to the French authorities whether to recognise your new UK licence obtained through exchange, and the fact they will no longer let you exchange for a local one leads me to think the answer is probably no. They have this rule to stop non-EU drivers bypassing local regulations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.