Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a DVD in small Mail Lite envelope shipped Grenoble to Japan. 11.37 euro delivery. Actual postage is 5.80 Lettre Suivie Inter.

6 euros for a small Mail Lite??

Was I ripped off?

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
Mail suivie is at least 4€ no matter the size or shape of what you're mailing. (Even a single page of text mailed in an envelope.) Don't forget, too, that delivery fees cover more than just the postage in many instances.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
If you use "suivi" then you have to pay the price, which in my opinion is not excessive. You could have used " on suivi"?

I find the suivi. very good. Recently I've sent important documents to the tax office( it's that time of year!), notaires and tried, unsuccessfully, to cancel a canal+ subscription....it's wonderful to be able to track progess and delivery on the net.

DejW

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I bought a DVD in small Mail Lite envelope shipped Grenoble to Japan. 11.37 euro delivery. Actual postage is 5.80 Lettre Suivie Inter.

6 euros for a small Mail Lite??

Was I ripped off?
Seems to me the charge is about right as a DVD is not the same size as a standard letter and taking into account possible weight of around 150g - did the fee include notification of delivery?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No notification of delivery.

To repeat. I'm fine with the actual postage at 5.80 (Geez, I'm used to paying $60-70 postage for a $10 book!), but just wonder how it goes from 5.80 to 11.37 just for writing an address on a skimpy padded envelope.

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
Well, there's the cost of the padded envelope (usually a couple of €) and for the vendor, some cost in taking your order out of the vanilla "mail within Europe" category to be processed for overseas delivery. And there may well be importing costs that the vendor is picking up. The key one here in Europe is VAT, so for a mailing of goods exiting the EU, they may simply be assuming that there is some form of VAT and/or customs fees for entering Japan. (Those would be based on the cost of the item PLUS the cost of the postage.)

This international trade and commerce is never simple.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there's the cost of the padded envelope (usually a couple of €) and for the vendor, some cost in taking your order out of the vanilla "mail within Europe" category to be processed for overseas delivery. And there may well be importing costs that the vendor is picking up. The key one here in Europe is VAT, so for a mailing of goods exiting the EU, they may simply be assuming that there is some form of VAT and/or customs fees for entering Japan. (Those would be based on the cost of the item PLUS the cost of the postage.)

This international trade and commerce is never simple.
Cheers,
Bev
I'm still skeptical. And ex-EU is NO VAT, not assuming VAT. And never customs fees on such low priced goods.

Anyway, just a bit peeved, but I've been hit with far worse in the past, so c'est la vie.

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
No notification of delivery.

To repeat. I'm fine with the actual postage at 5.80 (Geez, I'm used to paying $60-70 postage for a $10 book!), but just wonder how it goes from 5.80 to 11.37 just for writing an address on a skimpy padded envelope.
They may be simply striking some sort of "average" for mailings under a certain weight to a certain part of the world. I just played around a bit on the LaPoste website and got a price of 6,50€ for a 200 gr. "priority letter" to Japan. The same 200 gr. shipped via Colissimo would cost a little more than 23€.

I know when we shipped stuff to customers, we always added a few euros to the actual shipping costs, if only for the "trouble." For a vendor selling lots of small stuff like CDs, I suspect it's a one-price-fits-all sort of deal.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.