Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Its still going through various approvals, but everything is looking promising, for our expatriation to Paris for 3 years. I will be moving with my wife and my 2 year old daughter. We are both 30 years old. We are Scottish, living in Aberdeen.

I would be really grateful for some advice with regards to living and choosing areas to live in Paris. My girl will be too young for school, however we may want to put her into a pre-school for a couple of days a week so that the she is learning from other children. Ideally, I would like her to learn French, but that might not happen with her being so young.

I will have about €2000/month to pay for rent. I can top this up slightly myself. We really need a 3 bedroom house with a garden. I realise that these are quite expensive, however I understand that they can be found. I will be working in Suresnes so don't want to be travelling too long. (I had a friend who travelled for 2.5-3 hours each way, and eventually gave up and moved back home to South Africa). Can someone suggest a good area for a family like ours, who speak little French but are really keen to learn? We want to make the most of this experience.

I will get French classes from my office, however I would like to arrange something for my wife. She said that she'd prefer to join a classroom style training, instead of one-to-one. Also, I might "topup" my lessons by joining the class too. Can anyone suggest something and give me an idea of costs? Or perhaps just being dedicated to a CD set or something?

If anyone can think of anything else I should know/think of, please let me know.

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry for the questions.

Al

·
Administrator
50,385 Posts
Actually, your daughter really isn't "too young" for school. In many areas, children start the maternelle as soon as they are potty trained. Depends on where you wind up living.

If you're going to be working in Suresnes, chances are you'll want to stick to the west side of Paris - and frankly if you want a house with a garden, you'll do better just outside Paris. The western suburbs are pricey - and home to many of the anglophone expats in the Paris area. Take a look at the transit map of Paris and check some of the towns located along the same rail line as Suresnes. Plan zones (Your employer is supposed to split the cost of your monthly transit pass with you - so it's definitely worthwhile to consider the public transit system when choosing where to live.)

For French classes, ask around in the various expat groups in and around Paris. Besides the commercial language schools, there are some associations and volunteer groups that offer language classes - and many expat groups that offer "language exchanges" which are basically conversation groups where you speak French for a while and then switch to English so the French people can practice their English on you. One of the best known multi-national groups in Paris is WICE WICE in Paris, France offers continuing education courses and classes in English Definitely worth a look into.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for that tip. Good advice. I was thinking that it would be the west side.
Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for a good area over there, and an idea how much per month it will cost to rent. We are going to meet a special relocation company in a couple of weeks, however I would like to take a look online now.

Al

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thank you very much for that tip. Good advice. I was thinking that it would be the west side.
Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion for a good area over there, and an idea how much per month it will cost to rent. We are going to meet a special relocation company in a couple of weeks, however I would like to take a look online now.

Al
Check out fnaim.fr and seloger.com for home rentals to get an idea of what the prices are in the various areas. Those websites are far from all-inclusive, but good for getting an idea whether your price point is reasonable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Al,

My husband and I have moved to paris to an area called saint germain en laye.its near suresnes and a really nice ares to live with alot of expats living there. also has nice pre schools for your daughter. we have a 2 BR apartment in a courtyard style setting,very nice and quiet for 1500 euro per month. i reckon you could get a 3 BR house in this area for 2300-2500euro and possibly more depending on the size...there is also vesinet and le pecq which are also nice on the RER A line.

regarding french classes for your wife,im looking into berlitz in saint germain for me now and i think its about 80 euro for 9hrs per week thats 3hrs per day for 3 days. Alliance francaise(one of the best known schools) costs 82euro per month for an extensive 9hrs per week if you take a course for 12 weeks. have a look at alliance francaise.com or berlitz.com....you will find these two schools throughout paris. i also joined busuu.com online and find it quite good.

Hope this helps & good luck!
Liz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi dear friends from sunny Macedonia:)
it's really nice that something like this forum is on web, I don't know where else to ask expers related to moving in France.
My dream from my childhood is to work in Nice or Cannes, I'm planning this spring actually in early may to go there.Can you tell me how are my chances to get job in some discoteque or in some hotel and what should I do to get my chances higher.
Everyone has a dream but only brave get it :)))))

·
Administrator
50,385 Posts
Hi dear friends from sunny Macedonia:)
it's really nice that something like this forum is on web, I don't know where else to ask expers related to moving in France.
My dream from my childhood is to work in Nice or Cannes, I'm planning this spring actually in early may to go there.Can you tell me how are my chances to get job in some discoteque or in some hotel and what should I do to get my chances higher.
Everyone has a dream but only brave get it :)))))
Unless you have EU nationality, working in a disco or hotel isn't going to get you the necessary visa to live in France. You need to be targetting some sort of job where it is difficult to find local French people who are qualified (which gives the employer the chance to get Labor Dept. permission to hire a foreigner).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless you have EU nationality, working in a disco or hotel isn't going to get you the necessary visa to live in France. You need to be targetting some sort of job where it is difficult to find local French people who are qualified (which gives the employer the chance to get Labor Dept. permission to hire a foreigner).
Cheers,
Bev
I was thinking 2 weeks what should be that job:),and got idea to work on some plantation of grapes or some mediteranian fruit,do you think that is good idea?
Thanks in advance :))

·
Registered
594 Posts
French classes are for free on Itunes Podcasts, some are good quality. Thank you La Pomme.
Just download them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

Hello

Its still going through various approvals, but everything is looking promising, for our expatriation to Paris for 3 years. I will be moving with my wife and my 2 year old daughter. We are both 30 years old. We are Scottish, living in Aberdeen.

I would be really grateful for some advice with regards to living and choosing areas to live in Paris. My girl will be too young for school, however we may want to put her into a pre-school for a couple of days a week so that the she is learning from other children. Ideally, I would like her to learn French, but that might not happen with her being so young.

I will have about €2000/month to pay for rent. I can top this up slightly myself. We really need a 3 bedroom house with a garden. I realise that these are quite expensive, however I understand that they can be found. I will be working in Suresnes so don't want to be travelling too long. (I had a friend who travelled for 2.5-3 hours each way, and eventually gave up and moved back home to South Africa). Can someone suggest a good area for a family like ours, who speak little French but are really keen to learn? We want to make the most of this experience.

I will get French classes from my office, however I would like to arrange something for my wife. She said that she'd prefer to join a classroom style training, instead of one-to-one. Also, I might "topup" my lessons by joining the class too. Can anyone suggest something and give me an idea of costs? Or perhaps just being dedicated to a CD set or something?

If anyone can think of anything else I should know/think of, please let me know.

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry for the questions.

Al
Hi allan

we are looking to move to the south/west edge of paris (i've had a job offer at orly) we have a 2 and 5 year old and looking at houses/schools/french lesson and everything else.
have found michelle thomas cds very good for french lessons. visiting paris in a few weeks will pass on any usefull info

regards

bd

G

·
AL - echoing what Bev has said about your young daughter, after a three year stay, assuming she is in a French school full-time from say 3 years old, she will probably be as fluent in French as any child of her age would be in English back home, while maintaining a reasonable standard of English through her conversations with you and her mother.

The difficulty would be in maintaining that ability to speak French if you go home to Aberdeen when she is 5. Chances are a few years on that she will have forgotten a lot of it, which would be a shame.

·
Registered
550 Posts
have found michelle thomas cds very good for french lessons. visiting paris in a few weeks will pass on any usefull info

regards
bd
I used the Michelle Thomas CDs before coming to France. I really liked them. One thing I'd read about them was that he spoke with a Polish accent, and that he wasn't pronouncing words correctly. When I got here, no one could understand my French. Apparently having a foreign accent to pronounce words with a different foreign accent makes you incomprehensible! Hopefully you'll be okay, but I was sorely disappointed with my abilities after those CDs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.