Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Firstly thank you for reading this thread. I have been umming and aaahing for years about whether or not a move to Australia would be right for me, and right now with the U.K being the way it is I find I am at breaking point.

What I would like to know if why other people have moved down under, and if they regret it and what it is they like most about living there. I understand everyone has their own reasons, each case is different, but I am trying to get a feel for how people feel about it once they have done it.

I am lucky enough to work for a huge international company who is also embedded withint the Australain Defence market (I am an Aerospace Engineer working for BAe Systems) and have been told I will be legible for open vacancies just like any other "local". So thats work taken care of.

I also would like to know how the quality/cost of life compares to that here in the U.K.

Any advice would be great guys!! I`m currently booking a trip so I can see what its like with my own eyes before I do anything rash.

Again, thanks for reading this.

All the best,

Paul.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Paul

welcome to the forum

IF you search the forum, you will find many threads why ppl like AU and why people hate being here, in my opinion each case is different, some people are not practical, some people are very ambitious, some are very emotional and cant manage without their family and friends and some people dont mind anything except for weather and good living.
anyway, there have been threads in the past where people talked about goods and bads :) i am sure u will find plenty of info..

as for the cost of living, there is a thread in the sticky threads that talks about expenses incurred by people. that will give u a fair idea, u can alternatively check important link, again in sticky threads which has links to job portals, real estate portals furniture , grocery etc etc which will help in comparing cost in UK and AU.

wish u luck

cheers
anj

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

As I remember it Lincoln is a very place in the UK.

As Anj said there have been lots of posts about why people moved here, whether or not they like it and whether they will stay (one or two quite recent).

I would suggest (and you may have already done this) is to work out why you are leaving the UK. Some people don't seem to have a big enough 'why' when they leave and then want to return (and that can be expensive).

Also think about why Australia? I know this may seem obvious but a lot of things that people leave behind are here too (sometimes to a lesser extent) so people still have to pay bills etc.

Where in Australia would you like to move to? I know it's job dependent too but if you like 4 seasons then you may not like the North since that's hotter and more tropical. Australia is beautiful and varied and you want to settle somewhere that rights for you.

For us quality of life is much better for us here but we planned it that way :D We didn't want to move from one rat race to another one so we planned and made sure that we created the life here that we love. My husband doesn't have to sit for hours in traffic jams and we are actually part of the community which we never had time for in the UK.

What are your reasons for leaving the UK and thinking about over here?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply. There are a number of reasons I am thinking of a new life in Australia. Firstly (and I know all places have good AND bad) it tears me up to see how this country is being ran. How the tax payers money is being literally thrown down the drain on hair brained government initiatives, and how the government has become a soft touch option for any tom, dick and harry that wants govt aid, a free ride or who simply cant be bothered to better themselves.

Secondly, Im an outdoors person, being passionate about surfing, kayaking and anything in the water. Im also a huge fan of rugby and many other sports. Im not saying im moving to another country due to sports, but from what Ive heard, I could do all these things year round in Oz.

Thirdly, I work close to 50 hours a week, and spend about another 10 sat in a car just getting to/from work...im exhausted. Come the weekend Im so tired I dont have time for anything or anyone. All this so I can pay shed loads of taz for the govt to then throw it away.

One thing that (forgive me I dont know his name) really stands out in my mind was a few years ago a ship of Afghan refugees tried to gain access to your coutry and the PM simply turned them away!! I can never imagine that happening here!! Its insane that anyone can enter the country and simply get "lost" and never have to leave. Our PM and govt is totally spineless! Sorry im ranting now haha.

I want to continue my career but also to slow down. To take stock of whats around me, to have time for neighbours, family and friends.

To me, these seem like good reasons to want to move from the UK and possibly Autralia. What do you think?

Any advice woul be appreciated.

Kind Reagrds,
Paul.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply. There are a number of reasons I am thinking of a new life in Australia. Firstly (and I know all places have good AND bad) it tears me up to see how this country is being ran. How the tax payers money is being literally thrown down the drain on hair brained government initiatives, and how the government has become a soft touch option for any tom, dick and harry that wants govt aid, a free ride or who simply cant be bothered to better themselves.

Secondly, Im an outdoors person, being passionate about surfing, kayaking and anything in the water. Im also a huge fan of rugby and many other sports. Im not saying im moving to another country due to sports, but from what Ive heard, I could do all these things year round in Oz.

Thirdly, I work close to 50 hours a week, and spend about another 10 sat in a car just getting to/from work...im exhausted. Come the weekend Im so tired I dont have time for anything or anyone. All this so I can pay shed loads of taz for the govt to then throw it away.

One thing that (forgive me I dont know his name) really stands out in my mind was a few years ago a ship of Afghan refugees tried to gain access to your coutry and the PM simply turned them away!! I can never imagine that happening here!! Its insane that anyone can enter the country and simply get "lost" and never have to leave. Our PM and govt is totally spineless! Sorry im ranting now haha.

I want to continue my career but also to slow down. To take stock of whats around me, to have time for neighbours, family and friends.

To me, these seem like good reasons to want to move from the UK and possibly Autralia. What do you think?

Kind Reagrds,
Paul.
Hi Paul, I just want to say best of luck with your decision to move to Oz!, we move the 6th Dec to Brisbane and were really excited despite the positives/negatives!

Just want to add about the politics of the UK just two words!!!!!absolute idiots and i cannot wait to get my children out of the equation.

Go for it Paul:)....ellisa::clap2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ellisa,

Thanks for the reply and good luck!! I hope it goes well for you!! I completely agree with your stance on the UK politicians....I beleive it`s a good enough reason to ge out of here! If you dont mind, could you let me know how you get on please? Im curious to see how everyone else who has recently moved across is getting on.

All the best for Oz, I hope it goes great!

Regards,
Paul.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts

Kind Reagrds,
Paul.
It seems like you've thought it through and certainly the not commuting so much has made a BIG difference to our lives.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on,
Karen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the good wishes!! I`ll be sure to let you know how I get on...I`m actually rather excited about the whole prospect of moving over!

All the best,
Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts