Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A month back, I submitted my application for 189 visa. I have included my wife in the application.

We got married last year in July 2016. And have been living together since December 2016.

I had an understanding that a de facto relationship requires evidence to be provided of living together for more than 12 months.

Ours is a marriage, registered in India.

The email I got from Immigration has asked for,

Evidence of your relationship with your spouse covering the 12 months prior to
your Invitation Date

I havent finished 12 months of my marriage even as of today. I thought this would not be a problem for us as we are married to each other and not living in a de facto relationship.

Could someone please advise, what needs to be done here.

Thank you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did you submitted Marriage Certificate?

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
Hi all,

A month back, I submitted my application for 189 visa. I have included my wife in the application.

We got married last year in July 2016. And have been living together since December 2016.

I had an understanding that a de facto relationship requires evidence to be provided of living together for more than 12 months.

Ours is a marriage, registered in India.

The email I got from Immigration has asked for,

Evidence of your relationship with your spouse covering the 12 months prior to
your Invitation Date

I havent finished 12 months of my marriage even as of today. I thought this would not be a problem for us as we are married to each other and not living in a de facto relationship.

Could someone please advise, what needs to be done here.

Thank you.
I have been saying time and again on the forum that the CO needs atleast 12 months of living together proofs to be convinced that it's a geniuine relationship
The marriage certificate has a lot of sanctity and weightage in India, but unfortunately not so in the AUS NZ region.

Please wait for the members who are convinced that 12 months relationship proofs are not required and only marriage certificate is sufficient to advise you

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you submitted Marriage Certificate?
Yes I did. Bu then again, my marriage certificate has the date of marriage as July, 2016.

I got engaged in Feb 2016. Ours is an arranged marriage.

And I dont have any financial documents to support it.

Although, she is here with me, in Australia, on a dependent 457 Visa. Not sure, if this can be considered as a good enough evidence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been saying time and again on the forum that the CO needs atleast 12 months of living together proofs to be convinced that it's a geniuine relationship
The marriage certificate has a lot of sanctity and weightage in India, but unfortunately not so in the AUS NZ region.

Please wait for the members who are convinced that 12 months relationship proofs are not required and only marriage certificate is sufficient to advise you

Cheers
Well, your answer disappoints me. I hope there is a way around.

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
Well, your answer disappoints me. I hope there is a way around.
Nobody likes to hear the bitter truth. I also want that there should be a way around, but wishes don't always come true

The DIBP is very clear on their website that they need geniuine relationship evidence.also

Evidence of marriage is a separate section and geniuine relationship is a different section and both require to be proved without doubt In the CO mind.

Members here tend to think that marriage certificate is sufficient to satisfy both the section requirements , which I know is wrong from my experience.

You need very strong evidence of geniuine relationship if you have proofs of less then a year

Cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nobody likes to hear the bitter truth. I also want that there should be a way around, but wishes don't always come true

The DIBP is very clear on their website that they need geniuine relationship evidence.also

Evidence of marriage is a separate section and geniuine relationship is a different section and both require to be proved without doubt In the CO mind.

Members here tend to think that marriage certificate is sufficient to satisfy both the section requirements , which I know is wrong from my experience.

You need very strong evidence of geniuine relationship if you have proofs of less then a year

Cheers
Agree with you here

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
Yes I did. Bu then again, my marriage certificate has the date of marriage as July, 2016.

I got engaged in Feb 2016. Ours is an arranged marriage.

And I dont have any financial documents to support it.

Although, she is here with me, in Australia, on a dependent 457 Visa. Not sure, if this can be considered as a good enough evidence.
457 Visa spouse evidence is satisfied with the marriage certificate
The spouse can only stay as long as you are in the country so they are not so much bothered to check if your relationship is geniuine or not.

Whereas PR is a different matter because once she gets a PR, she is independent of you . Immigration department is not to be blamed for this suspicion but past applicants only as they have misused the system and married only on paper so that the spouse can get the PR

You have no option but to prepare evidence that you are geniuinely in a relationship.
See the list of proofs recommended by DIBP and check how many you can provide and for what duration

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't agree, I think the OP should be fine.

It is mentioned on the DIBP website that the one year requirement waived if the relationship is registered / is a marriage. In one of the booklets, DIBP mentions that "For a married partner, the marriage must be legal under Australian law", and Australia recognizes marriages solemnized in other countries.

I would recommend submitting a relationship statement, attaching proofs of the engagement ceremony, the wedding ceremony, the horoscope matching that would probably have happened before the engagement. It will definitely help.

Unfortunately, different case officers assess this differently, so if they still require proof, it would be a good idea to consult a migration agent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't agree, I think the OP should be fine.

It is mentioned on the DIBP website that the one year requirement waived if the relationship is registered / is a marriage. In one of the booklets, DIBP mentions that "For a married partner, the marriage must be legal under Australian law", and Australia recognizes marriages solemnized in other countries.

I would recommend submitting a relationship statement, attaching proofs of the engagement ceremony, the wedding ceremony, the horoscope matching that would probably have happened before the engagement. It will definitely help.

Unfortunately, different case officers assess this differently, so if they still require proof, it would be a good idea to consult a migration agent.

Thank you for the advice. I gave a call to the immigration department yesterday, and the person too said the same thing. A marriage certificate is sufficient, but if the case officer is not convinced, give a relationship statement and attach some of your photos. There is no requirement for a married couple to provide evidence for 12 months. A genuine realtionship is what needs to be proved.

Having said that, I cannot find a format for a relationship statement. The one I could see on DIBP website is for Partner visa, which has sections for Financial documents etc.

Not sure if I can use the same format or should I look for something else.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi, regarding relative's statements - download brochure called "Partner's Migration", its very helpfull, there is detailed description what to state.
There is no particular form.
We made it on usual A4 format, only signature of person who is making statement is required.
Statements shou;d be from you, your wife and few relatives/friends (in our case that was my mother, my husband's sister and 2 our mutual friends).
Shortly (better read above mentioned document):
In your statements you should describe how did you meet, how did you get married, how do you organize your living together, household, your plans for the future etc.
Describe your feelings about each other. Its love story)
Explain that you couldnt live together before marriage and why.

Your relatives or friends (better from both sides)nshould explain from where do they know you and why do they believe that your relationship is genuine and continuing.
We made format like this:
I (full name) residing at (address +email+cell)
hereby declare the following regarding the persons mentioned below:
Main applican (name) - (describe how long you know each other)
Main applicants spouse (name) - (the same)
desribe how often do you communicate
Lasy paragraph (about half page A4) - I believe that relationship of ... and ...is genuine and continuing. (describe why)

In our case we attached also screenshots of whatsapp communications with our friens where we are discussing something like common trips etc, and evidence of travelling together.

Remember that immigration officers are also human being))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, regarding relative's statements - download brochure called "Partner's Migration", its very helpfull, there is detailed description what to state.
There is no particular form.
We made it on usual A4 format, only signature of person who is making statement is required.
Statements shou;d be from you, your wife and few relatives/friends (in our case that was my mother, my husband's sister and 2 our mutual friends).
Shortly (better read above mentioned document):
In your statements you should describe how did you meet, how did you get married, how do you organize your living together, household, your plans for the future etc.
Describe your feelings about each other. Its love story)
Explain that you couldnt live together before marriage and why.

Your relatives or friends (better from both sides)nshould explain from where do they know you and why do they believe that your relationship is genuine and continuing.
We made format like this:
I (full name) residing at (address +email+cell)
hereby declare the following regarding the persons mentioned below:
Main applican (name) - (describe how long you know each other)
Main applicants spouse (name) - (the same)
desribe how often do you communicate
Lasy paragraph (about half page A4) - I believe that relationship of ... and ...is genuine and continuing. (describe why)

In our case we attached also screenshots of whatsapp communications with our friens where we are discussing something like common trips etc, and evidence of travelling together.

Remember that immigration officers are also human being))
Thank you so much. This information helps a lot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I gave a call to the immigration department yesterday, and the person too said the same thing. A marriage certificate is sufficient, but if the case officer is not convinced, give a relationship statement and attach some of your photos. There is no requirement for a married couple to provide evidence for 12 months. A genuine realtionship is what needs to be proved.

Having said that, I cannot find a format for a relationship statement. The one I could see on DIBP website is for Partner visa, which has sections for Financial documents etc.

Any help is appreciated.
Hello, may I know what you finally did in your case and was it succesful or not?

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
Hello, may I know what you finally did in your case and was it succesful or not?
Thais is a 2.5 year old thread

The member would have long ago left the forum

Create a new thread if you have any query

Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought a marriage certificate was fine. I only got to know the seriousness of living together after reading this thread.

My wife and I have been married for 5 years. She went overseas for postgraduate study for around 1.5 years. She came back last April.

During that period, we did not, of course, live together, but we kept regular contact. Now we are living together. Will this cause a problem?

·
Registered
25,724 Posts
I thought a marriage certificate was fine. I only got to know the seriousness of living together after reading this thread.

My wife and I have been married for 5 years. She went overseas for postgraduate study for around 1.5 years. She came back last April.

During that period, we did not, of course, live together, but we kept regular contact. Now we are living together. Will this cause a problem?
3 years together, then 1.5 separate for studies, then together again since last 6 months
I don’t think it will be a problem
Have joint bank accounts and assets to substantiate your claim

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts

Any help is appreciated.
Hey , you got any solution? I’m in the same situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.