Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone has an experience with this issue. After 9 months we've received a letter with 90 days notice to vacate. I was lead to believe we would get one year, then a second and then he can vacate us with a year notice or increase the rent. It's very frustrating as we renovated all the garden, and now the landlord is probably going to rent it higher to a new family!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Wonder if anyone has an experience with this issue. After 9 months we've received a letter with 90 days notice to vacate. I was lead to believe we would get one year, then a second and then he can vacate us with a year notice or increase the rent. It's very frustrating as we renovated all the garden, and now the landlord is probably going to rent it higher to a new family!
Thanks
Needs to be a full year from the time of notice, so it'll have to be 12 months from now.

Just politely say you'll inform the rent committee at RERA.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Slight correction for you: 12 months from the end of your current contract.

In other words 15 months from now.

Technically speaking you can only be evicted if the landlord wants to sell the villa or a family member is moving in. If you catch him rerenting the villa to new tenants after you've moved out you can take him to the rent committee and see compensation.

Needs to be a full year from the time of notice, so it'll have to be 12 months from now.

Just politely say you'll inform the rent committee at RERA.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Make sure, politely, that he knows that you fully understand your position, the law, and potential future consequences.

Some landlords and agents either don't know the rules, pretend they dont know the rules, and are just out to try it on. Many people just go with what the landlord and agent tells them, rather than doing it properly.

Good luck!

Reactions: Fat Bhoy Tim

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
If you make a visit to RERA and perhaps have someone call them and speak with them, you might not need to go through the hassle of taking them to court.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Slight correction for you: 12 months from the end of your current contract.

In other words 15 months from now.

Technically speaking you can only be evicted if the landlord wants to sell the villa or a family member is moving in. If you catch him rerenting the villa to new tenants after you've moved out you can take him to the rent committee and see compensation.
Even better to know, tah.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If you make a visit to RERA and perhaps have someone call them and speak with them, you might not need to go through the hassle of taking them to court.
You don't take LL'sa to court, you file a case with the Rent Committee - no need for any of that really RERA will set them straight. Once most LL's realise people know their rights, they tend to back off.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I bet that was fun - not. lol
I won all three times! It was AWESOME!! :D

You'd think the landlord would've learnt his lesson the first time around. Dodgy character kept trying his luck and losing. He ended up having to foot the bill thrice!

Unfortunately, people try and bend the rules as much as they can till they're hit with a harsh dose of reality.

HarkyBella, be polite and let him know that you're well aware of the rules. He cannot evict you and the mere thought if this being taken to the rent committee should suffice for him to back off (fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for hijacking...

are you sure that it is 12 months notice from the end of your current contract?

My current contract runs out in July 2014 and my landlord is talking about wanting me out.

If he sends me the official notice tomorrow say, would it be:

12 months from tomorrow, so 8th November 2014 or
12 months from the end of my contract, so July 2015 or
at the end of my current contract so July 2014?

I'd be interested to know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I have read on rera. It says that with 90 days notice before end of contract they can evict. Just not if in middle of contract. So I think he can boot us out. I have asked for a reason to which I have had no reply surprise surprise!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
From what I have read on rera. It says that with 90 days notice before end of contract they can evict. Just not if in middle of contract. So I think he can boot us out. I have asked for a reason to which I have had no reply surprise surprise!
That supposedly only applies IF the LL or his family are to move in. Otherwise it's 12 months notice. If you call RERA they will tell you it's 12 months notice to serve eviction regardless.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
12 months' notice from the end of your current contract.

In other words, July 2015.

Your landlord missed the boat back in July when the renewal came up.

Hi,

Sorry for hijacking...

are you sure that it is 12 months notice from the end of your current contract?

My current contract runs out in July 2014 and my landlord is talking about wanting me out.

If he sends me the official notice tomorrow say, would it be:

12 months from tomorrow, so 8th November 2014 or
12 months from the end of my contract, so July 2015 or
at the end of my current contract so July 2014?

I'd be interested to know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
12 months' notice from the end of your current contract.

In other words, July 2015.

Your landlord missed the boat back in July when the renewal came up.
Not really. Spoke with RERA , if the landlord is SELLING then the eviction has to take place 12 months from the date of serving the notice .

That is if my tenancy contract is up for renewal in March 2014 and i get the eviction notice in November 2013 , I have to vacate the premises in November 2014 and not in March 2015. Therefore my new tenancy contract will be a non renewable contract valid for a period between March 2014 and November 2014.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not really. Spoke with RERA , if the landlord is SELLING then the eviction has to take place 12 months from the date of serving the notice .

That is if my tenancy contract is up for renewal in March 2014 and i get the eviction notice in November 2013 , I have to vacate the premises in November 2014 and not in March 2015. Therefore my new tenancy contract will be a non renewable contract valid for a period between March 2014 and November 2014.
Hmm .. not sure about that. Here are the wordings...

--------------

Landlord may demand eviction of tenant upon expiry of tenancy contract limited to the following cases:

a. If the owner wishes to demolish the property for reconstruction or to add
new constructions that prevent tenant from benefiting from the leased
property, provided that necessary licences are obtained.

b. If the property requires renovation or comprehensive maintenance which
cannot be executed while tenant is occupying the property, provided that a
technical report issued by Dubai Municipality or accredited by it is to be
submitted to this effect.

c. If the owner of the property wishes to recover the property for use by him
personally or by his next of kin of first degree provided that he proves that
he does not own a suitable alternative property for that purpose.

d. If the owner of the property wishes to sell the leased property.

And for the purpose of clause (2) of this Article, landlord must notify tenant with reasons for eviction at least twelve months prior to the determined date of eviction subject that such notice be sent through the Notary Public or by registered mail.

-----------

It doesn't even suggest that a LL can evict you if he wants to SELL the property. The LL has to sell the property with a sitting tenant. the NEW LL can, if he wants to move in himself, serve you a notice of eviction on the bases that he/she wants to move in themselves and from how it's written above, the LL can demand eviction of tenant upon expiry of tenancy contract - at least 12 months prior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry I should have been more clear .

I essentially meant that the LL can give an * EVICTION NOTICE * to the tenant when he decides to sell ( Genuinely.Not the nonsense they try for rental increase).

For eg he can decide to sell his house in November 2013 and can give me a notice straight away . This notice however must give me 12 months to vacate the property .

What I mean is if my existing contract is up for renewal in March 2014 , he need not wait till then to give me the eviction notice. It isnt 12 months from the end of the current tenancy contract but 12 months from when the landlord decides to sell.

The RERA guy asked me specifically if he was selling or moving in etc and when I replied selling , he told me the landlord has the right to send me the eviction notice immediately and that I have to vacate the property within 12 months from the date of receipt of the the notice .

So if your landlord is * selling* then its not 12 months and the extra months you have on your tenancy contract . Its just 12 months from any point of time.

I ve called twice and spoke to 2 different people regarding this . Same advice . My landlord is a very nice man really so then have decided not to give him too much of a hassle anyway. :)

Oh and in order for the landlord to sell legally he needs to show the new landlord that he has given the tenant an eviction notice .So that the new LL will know for sure when he can move in / rent it out legally .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts