Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
51,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone catch the Eurovision contest on TV last night? I caught part of it - and did manage to see the winning entry from Sweden. The song was cool, but what impressed me was the dancing of the gal who performed it. Very impressive - and probably deserving of the win.

But what I really wanted to see was the Russian grannies entry (which came in second). Will have to check online (the Eurovision site usually has video of all the finalist entries).

The Eurovision kind of snuck up on me this year - had meant to post a reminder in the forum, but got busy the last couple days (after I found out) and didn't manage.

So, any reactions to this year's show? It's fun simply because some of the entries are so bizarre, though I do wish the French commentators would stop talking over the presentation material.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Not being a bad loser, but would be better if voting weren't so political, and it were a real music competition (generally good for a laugh tho').

AND Sweden got their PR into gear and their gal has been strutting her stuff round Europe in some of the hippest clubs for the last month or so - she did remind me a bit of Kate Bush 30-odd years ago tho'. AND Russia could afford to send a (few geriatric) joker(s) into the pack, having won it a few years ago, so not taking itself too seriously any more.

(Would be even better if the UK could field an entry that had a vague chance of winning on merit rather than longevity!)

Currently watching America's Got Talent - apart from the parrot, am not sure they can beat Pudsey ;)

Hils

·
Administrator
51,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I dunno - if the acts on Eurovision had any real merit it would kind of spoil the whole kitschy nature of the show, wouldn't it? (I keep thinking of the Father Ted episode where Father Ted and his fellow priest represented Ireland with "My Pretty Pony".) Holding the competition in central Asia does kind of put the lie to the whole "Euro" vision thing anyhow.

France was all upset that their entry came in something like 23rd out of 26th - especially, I think, because this year they finally caved and entered a song in English.

Oh well - it's all done and dusted for another year.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
154 Posts
Holding the competition in central Asia does kind of put the lie to the whole "Euro" vision thing anyhow.
And old and interesting geopolitical issue... where are the limits of Europe... in the cold war years (so long...) we had western Europe, very clearly defined, and Eastern Europe, very clearly defined.

Then that order disappeared, and the Soviet Union lost the cold war and broke apart, and now we have all those countries of "almost Asia" within "Europe"...

So I guess I'll stick to my grandfather's say... "Europe, oh yes, that piece of land North of the Pyrénées and West of the Elbe..." :D

Cheers,
jacques.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.