Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a good one here for anyone who knows a little about Law.....

I am a 35 year old British National. Two years ago I was falsely accused of minor offences by an Ex-friend in Malta. After tolerating 6 months of court proceedings, the case still showed no signs of coming to a resolution. It had become unbearable for me to remain there. It was impossible for me to work there due to bail conditions – I was potentially facing more prosecution due to the circumstances I was forced to live in. Penniless and homeless, I took a boat trip to Sicily and arranged with the UK Embassy in London for travel back to the UK. Since then I have moved to Spain and applied and was granted my NIE. However, although they issued me with the document, when I went to collect it, the office informed me there was an “enquiry of address” from the Maltese authorities on my records. A couple of weeks back I travelled back to UK to sort some past employment concerns. When I arrived back in Spain at Bilbao airport I was held up at passport control for the same reason. I gave them my address here in Spain, my Spanish telephone and my old English address and asked what would happen. Though I only speak a little Spanish the official said nothing and then let me through. So far i have heard nothing more of it.

There was no issue at Heathrow, I am wondering if this is going to happen every time I go through a passport control in Europe? I appreciate I should have stuck around for the case to be concluded in Malta but conditions were getting out of hand. The situation has aroused a great deal of anxiety and I would like to know if there is any action I should or could take, if i should expect any repercussions of the event here in Spain. I do have a contact in the embassy in Malta although my gut feeling is it may be best just left alone as not to "open a can of worms" so to speak. I am settled here with permanent place of residence and working full time. I could really do without some authorities to come knocking for me. I am extremely concerned about this and it is causing me great levels of stress – Many Thanks in advance for intelligent and valuable responses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh - ok then....

"Hi - yes i lived there for almost a year - i moved there as my ex-friend promised me a job which never materialised - it was a bad experience all round for me really - i think i was a part of a master plan of his to be honest -

i guess it depends on your age and intentions if i was to recommend you to live there - the thing that struck me the most was how small it is!!! An advantage is that probably 75% of people speak good english - you can check the Times of Malta in english for classifieds for property rental and jobs - i was not particularly impressed with the things to see and do - EVERYTHING is really small - the night life is limited - i thought the food was lousy -

Anything you want to know more specifically - just reply back..."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.