Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a European/Irish male and *might* be moving to Dubai in August to take up a position with an IT company. This prospect presented itself for the first time only yesterday, so I've been reading a lot about Dubai for the past 24 hours :)

One thing that struck me while reading the wikipedia article is the almost unbelievable gender imbalance. Are there actually three guys for every woman?

How about among the European / North American expat community?

I must admit, I don't think I could move there if the gender balance is so poor. I'm single and would at least like a fair shot at dating and meeting people of the opposite sex!

So: what's the situation?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh I've heard as low as 3 and as high as to 10 : 1. Its hard to be exact esp w your specific subgroup because a lot of ppl shuffle around, visit, rotate ect. But yeah more men than women for sure.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It is probably 3:1 in general, but when you remove all the married people and people in relationships, it's more like 10:1 (women are less likely to come here alone than men).

Then with the ratio of 10:1, you have to contend with a large proportion of women who are not allowed to date outwith their own race/nationality/village, but you still compete against the men from that cultural background because they're allowed to bang anything that moves.

Your best bet would be to go to Barasti or Rock Bottom, that's always full of teachers - your biggest source of single women after Cabin Crew but from your desperation, I'd imagine they'd be out of your reach :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Are there actually three guys for every woman?
yes, there are.

the first guy is usually married, to wifey deary waiting for him either in company accommodation that they think is home here, or in their home home where she waits patiently for his remittance every month and agrees to play stupid and pretend the hubby is faithful in a city where the most popular sport for women is gold-digging.

the second guy is usually a drunk. this category generally comes in fat, bald, foul-mouthed, and smelly assortments too.

the third category is a pathetic combination of those two mentioned above.

p.s. the same labelling can be applied to women too, aside from some variations of class 1.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey, I am married, so I get one third of that woman.

I occasionally get drunk, so there's a second third.

And being married and drunk would make me a combination of the first two. That would get me 3 thirds

Does that mean that there is a woman waiting for me out there ?

:confused2: How do I explain that to my wife...

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
You're an Irish male (presumably white). If all you're looking for is casual dating without any intentions of settling into a serious relationship, then you will be just fine.

Make sure you drive a nice car and live in the Marina and half the job's done right there! All you need to do next is get to Barasti, Rock Bottom, and other classy haunts and start chatting up a whole bunch of drunk women.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Does that mean that there is a woman waiting for me out there ?
there's aways a woman waiting for you out there. for different reasons, it's true, but you should get used to the idea that, unless the environment is really arid, you're never too far from a woman in the same way in which you can never be too far from a spider either.

both women and spiders focus on pray at all times :p

as for how to tell your wife... be realistic, wives know what you want and what's happening even before you give the thought shape. she may just pretend sometimes it's not true.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
If you are white AND you have a british passport, you wont have ANY issues. So many women will love you just for that... your job to figure out if they poked a whole in the condom ;)

If you prefer not to date those who are hunting for a passport, then you still will probly do fine. Cabin crew is most my guys friends favorite types as they are always 'good' fun and dont require much at all to go home with you after meeting you in a bar.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you are white AND you have a british passport, you wont have ANY issues. So many women will love you just for that... your job to figure out if they poked a whole in the condom ;)
kind of agree with the white skin part.

not sure about the passport though. with all the c**p happening back in europe and the uk going into recession (again), hunting a man for his european/uk passport could be a risky time and emotional investment nowadays :p

·
Banned
423 Posts
kind of agree with the white skin part.

not sure about the passport though. with all the c**p happening back in europe and the uk going into recession (again), hunting a man for his european/uk passport could be a risky time and emotional investment nowadays :p
I agree, women should stick with those trustworthy Arabs eh?

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
The American men seem to be doing fine too. I see the dating scene in Dubai as such:

British / European men in their 30s or 40s : Asian women in their early 20s

British / European men in their 40s and 60s (married/separated/divorced/cheats) : Asian women in their early 20s

Arab men (Lebanese/Jordanian) : Lebanese/Jordanian women and Asian women in their early 20s

American men (white) in their 30s/40s/50s/60s (married/separated/divorced/cheats) : All kinds of women irrespective of race but the Asian women in their early 20s seem to get preference. Although I did come across a Polish veterinarian who managed to reel in an American professional quite easily. So the Asian women had better watch out.

Thus starts the age old debate of why Western men prefer Asian women. It's quite sad really as I'm sure there are some great men and women in Dubai who have a horrible chance of meeting people because of the low standards that the majority of the people out here set.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're an Irish male (presumably white). If all you're looking for is casual dating without any intentions of settling into a serious relationship, then you will be just fine.

Make sure you drive a nice car and live in the Marina and half the job's done right there! All you need to do next is get to Barasti, Rock Bottom, and other classy haunts and start chatting up a whole bunch of drunk women.
Hi there. Well, I would like to casually date occasionally, yes. I'd also like the potential to meet a cool woman for a relationship. It's not a priority for me though. But I don't think that a demographic disparity of the the scale you get in Dubai is especially healthy. Also, I don't drink (don't like the taste!), so I guess that rules out most of the teachers and cabin crew too, eh? :p

·
Banned
423 Posts
Hi there. Well, I would like to casually date occasionally, yes. I'd also like the potential to meet a cool woman for a relationship. It's not a priority for me though. But I don't think that a demographic disparity of the the scale you get in Dubai is especially healthy. Also, I don't drink (don't like the taste!), so I guess that rules out most of the teachers and cabin crew too, eh? :p
Not just teachers and cabin crew, but pretty much everyone in the sand lands. You'll understand why when you've been here a few days...

Incidentally, you Paddies are taking over The National

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Incidentally, you Paddies are taking over The National
I might let the other paddies be. When I lived in Germany, I mostly hung out with Brits, Americans, and Germans. The other Irish people tended not to mix outside their own circle.

·
Banned
423 Posts
My mates (in Germany) are English, Irish, German, French even a Septic!

Very multicultural here.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I might let the other paddies be. When I lived in Germany, I mostly hung out with Brits, Americans, and Germans. The other Irish people tended not to mix outside their own circle.
I was going to say that you and I are going to be best friends when you get to Dubai because you don't drink but seeing as you don't hang with Indians, looks like that might be a problem :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mates (in Germany) are English, Irish, German, French even a Septic!

Very multicultural here.
I lived in Nuremberg when I was in Germany. Loved it! I'm hoping for a similar social scene in Dubai. I'm very unsure though. It'd be a big move. I'm quite safe where I am (Dublin). I've a stable and enjoyable job, but I think I need a change of scene. I like the prospect of adventure. The offer of a job in Dubai landed, unsolicited, into my lap the other day so I'm frantically trying to get a sense of what life there might be like :eek:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts