Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am German citizen and my husband is non European, we live in Australia since one year and used to live in uk before (we were not married then)- my partner on a work visa. We both want to return to uk, so I will need to sponsor my husband for a spouse visa.
First question: it says on the guideline that applying from OUTside uk is for British citizen as a sponsor - I am a German citizen (and will be the sponsor) can my husband apply when i am outside uk or do I have to be in uk when he is applying? Very confused on that.
If, in case he can apply while we are both in Australia: apart of the financial requirements, is it enough I can prove I will have a job once returning to uk?

It's a bit complicated as I am European but not British and my husband is non European and we both want to live in uk.

Any help will be much appreciated

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
You bring your husband over under EU rules, for which he applies for EEA family permit valid 6 months in Australia before coming over. You don't need to meet any financial requirement - just that you are married, and that marriage isn't one of convenience, and you are both going to UK. Permit is issued free. You don't need a job offer in UK either, as you can go as a jobseeker. After safely in UK, and when you start working, he applies for residence card on form EEA2 (fee £55) which, when granted, gives him 5 years in UK with eligibility for work.
See UK Border Agency | EEA family permits

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks so much for the quick reply, seems we were totally going into a wrong direction! Thank you!

Sorry we are new on this ground so I am confused as until now we thought I will be treated like a British national regarding the financial requirements for visas. So this means I have to go through a whole different process and we can apply from outside uk?

I just checked on the ukba website on eea family permit section, is this the right visa for us and are you sure about that? :-s it sounds a bit too easy to be true lol

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
Yes, thanks to EU, you have the right of free movement and the right to be accompanied by your non-EEA spouse (in the sense that if the same right isn't extended to your husband, you are unable to exercise your EU right). Until UK decides to leave EU...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, thanks to EU, you have the right of free movement and the right to be accompanied by your non-EEA spouse (in the sense that if the same right isn't extended to your husband, you are unable to exercise your EU right). Until UK decides to leave EU...
Lucky for some eyyy!

Joppa what are your views on UK leaving the EU? everything in the UK is from other countries

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
I think it's a foolish move. UK has more to lose by leaving EU, esp in terms of inward investment by Japan, US etc because of UK's EU status, and won't be afforded the luxury of making individual deal like Switzerland about which rules to accept in the national interest.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,

Whilst I wasn't invited to comment, I feel the need to address that Freedom of Movement is more than immigration issues, as many seem to think. It allows European States to easily move resources from one country to another, and clears the path to receive investments from emerging economies and to "compete" with others.

UK is a huge power house not only financially, but also in manufacturing, IT and engineering as well. It's geographic position enables it to connect The Americas (Argentina - Canada) with the rest of Europe, and the other way around. The UK is also home to several wealthy conglomerates that bring thousands of white collar jobs to the country.

Had it not been for the easy access to Europe and the influx of cash from affluent economies, the UK would had experienced a catastrophic situation back in 2007 when the sub-prime mortgage market in the US crashed. (I am not downplaying the huge sacrifices everybody put up with)

So then yes, OP has the option to move to France, UK or Spain is she wanted to, without having to open the entire self to any immigration dependency or to an underpay humble officer. However, if she decided to take her spouse to her birth country the process will be extremely difficult.

Now let's enjoy life! Christmas is around the corner :D

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think it's a foolish move. UK has more to lose by leaving EU, esp in terms of inward investment by Japan, US etc because of UK's EU status, and won't be afforded the luxury of making individual deal like Switzerland about which rules to accept in the national interest.
Definitely UK has alot to lose if they we're to withdraw from the EU it's almost like UK wouldn't be the UK anymore if they did. They can't possibly leave can they?

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
Well I hope not. Remember there are also more than estimated one million Britons exercising treaty rights in other EEA countries and Switzerland, and their future will be in jeopardy if UK is to withdraw. Plus financial and trade implications, and not being able to influence the future direction of Europe, will be a high price to pay for pulling up the drawbridge and retreating into a little Englander mentality.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well I hope not. Remember there are also more than estimated one million Britons exercising treaty rights in other EEA countries and Switzerland, and their future will be in jeopardy if UK is to withdraw. Plus financial and trade implications, and not being able to influence the future direction of Europe, will be a high price to pay for pulling up the drawbridge and retreating into a little Englander mentality.
Well lets make sure they make the right decision otherwise it may cost them people's future.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I live in the Canary Islands and would not like to have to go back to UK, however what does annoy me is how much easier it is for EU members to get their non EU spouse into UK than it is for British passport holders :rolleyes2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.