Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I am moving to France in 3 weeks for a while and I need breakdown cover to last me a year using a British vehicle, are there any good french services I can use? or would i have to take extended cover with a British Breakdown service. If anyone else uses a UK car in France to live and get by in some advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sam,

I may be wrong but I'm not sure that you will find any UK company that will provide the sort of cover that you want. There are plenty that offer annual european cover, unlimited trips, BUT, generally also for a limited total number of days in the year (about 90 i think).

You don't say how long you will be in France for - in fact if it's for longer than 90 days then strictly you are supposed to re-register your car! If less then you will be ok.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long

Hi Paul Thanks

Yes i have taken insurance out for a 3 month trip, however i guess that wasn't exceeding 90 days. However when i was speaking to the adviser there did not seem to be any particular limit. It was just expensive. I am thinking of staying out for a minimum of 4 months and possibly a year. I did not realise I would have to reregister my car?

Sam

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Have a look at ADAC. They're a German company but they provide Europe wide cover. They also speak English. On paper it looks excellent cover - I took it out for my UK reg motorhome which I just can't face trying to register in France (yes I know but it's a 1980 campervan, I'd never get it registered and I love it too much to get rid) but ADAC gives me cover for any vehicle anywhere in Europe for less than £100 a year. They get good reviews, but fortunately I haven't had to test the service yet!
The membership in ADAC

But, you really shouldn't keep a car on UK plates in France if in fact you are living in France and are no longer resident in the UK. UK insurers will insure a UK resident in Europe for up to 365 days a year but it is, AFAIK, always an explicit condition of the policy that you are still UK resident. If you no longer are, and you don't tell them, they could argue that you have failed to disclose a material fact and the policy could be invalidated. It all depends on what you mean by 'moving to France for a while'. Your country of residence is a biggie and being too vague and nonchalant about it could cause unwanted complications with tax, insurance and all kinds of things.

(Edit - just in case this all looks hypocritical - which I admit it is - can I clarify that my beloved van is actually kept most of the year in the UK at the address where it is registered, and only comes to France in the summer. T's dotted and I's crossed).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks,great advice, it will be a temporary job I have, so I will still be a UK resident, and dont intend to withhold any information at all for insurers etc. I will also being using a van for convenience.0

I guess I am looking for insurance as well for the year. I will be coming back to the uk quite a lot and using the van on a seasonal basis i guess. So would need good insurance and breakdown cover. What car insurance do you use if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
NFU, but that's not necessarily a recommendation because I have a vague feeling that the terms may be different for new policies. I seem to recall something cropping up at the last renewal, which turned out to be OK in the end, but I can't remember quite what it was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers, yes i have been with churchill for a while but will certainly give them a ring and ask prices for European car insurance for the year in addition to my current normal. Then will see if i can get it cheaper elsewhere possibly...

·
Registered
737 Posts
despite what insurance companies often tell you , if they sell you a policy it must give you all the cover legally required to drive everywhere in the EU [ thanks to EU law !]...of course that is liability cover , not the vehicle usually

but if you are willing to self insure the vehicle you don't need more

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adac

Emailed ADAC and they said I needed to ring the AA,spoke to them and they quoted me 286 for full 350 day breakdown cover :s

Any further suggestions?

·
Registered
815 Posts
The rules for keeping a foreign car in France are no different to anywhere else in the EU, that is it may be kept for 6 months in any 12 however from what you have said there may be wider issues than that to be considered and resolved.

Unless you are on secondment to a French arm of your UK employer then it doesn't matter whether your job in France is temporary or permanent because in general if you live in France and work for a French employer (or for yourself which opens up another raft of issues) then you WILL be deemed French resident so you need to get that point properly put to bed first because it will determine what you need to do about your car and it's insurance.

If you are French resident then UK insurance is not available to you and your UK insurer will almost certainly withdraw your cover if you tell them that you are non UK resident, you also must register your car within one month of becoming resident and that is the day you set foot in France with the intention of living here.

AS ET says though most of this is quoting the strictly legal position when in practice many get away with flaunting the rules, sometimes for years.

Regarding ADAC cover I have it and it cost's me about €100/pa for myself and my better half.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.