Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are interested, the organisers of the EURO 2016 football tournament which will take place in France are looking for volonteers to help.

So if you are in or near one of the towns where matches are going to take place and want to be involved, you can fill in a form (it's in English):

Site officiel des Volontaires de l'UEFA EURO 2016

Might be fun..... :)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to point out the perks: free uniform you can keep afterwards (might come in useful you never know......), free meals! :)
Downside: you don't get to see any of the matches :(

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hi V!

Are you sure that it's football and not...

..the never ending Eu / Greece problem of who owes what and to whom, and when?

..David Cameron's EU referendum in the UK?

..something else even more excruciating?

DejW

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi V!

Are you sure that it's football and not...

..the never ending Eu / Greece problem of who owes what and to whom, and when?

..David Cameron's EU referendum in the UK?

..something else even more excruciating?

DejW
You could well be right - Greek problems in the morning, referendum in the afternoon and football in the evening.

Can't think of anything more excruciating..... :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You could well be right - Greek problems in the morning, referendum in the afternoon and football in the evening. Can't think of anything more excruciating..... :D
Perhaps having Smeggy as ref in the football final.

" You thinks its all over, well it is now".

Fletch.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went for the interview yesterday. Impressive organisation - at 11am precisely I was summoned for 45 minutes of interrogation in French and English, exactly as planned.

Had to try on the uniform - T shirt, trousers and trainers, pretty ordinary looking.

We won't know till December whether we have been selected or not so in the meantime we have to keep June and July 2016 free just in case.

I'm not too hopeful because I got my French and English a bit muddled up but I'm not too bothered either. Got given a nice souvenir mug.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next chapter - apparently the interview was ok because I have just been asked to do an English test online.

40 questions which I sailed through - hey I'm English! - and have just had the humiliating reply that I only got 36 right! They don't tell you where you went wrong so I am hoping it was just the football terms I got muddled up, not the English grammar!!

:eek:

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts
Daughter of a friend of mine took the teaching exams to teach English. Daughter is a native English speaker (her parents are Brits who came here 30 or 40 years back). When she got back from the exams, she really thought she hadn't done very well at all. Part of it was all the "culture" questions about football and rugby. She's not really a fan and simply had no idea what some of the terms were.

Despite her misgivings, she passed and is starting teaching at the Rentrée. So all the omens are in your favor!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That is so incredibly cool! You need to write about your experiences when the time comes. I would love to hear about it.
Thank you, yes it's exciting. I'm not particularly interested in football, but it should be a great experience if I make it through all the selections. I see it as a way of giving something back after all that France has given me and also a bit of fun to brighten up retirement!

They are still recruiting volunteers soooo if anyone is interested:

Site officiel des Volontaires de l'UEFA EURO 2016

10 June - 12 July2016 in all the major cities.

May end up doing this: :cheer2:

PS If you speak French as well as you speak English Dutchess, and with your other languages, they would recruit you on the spot!

·
Registered
78 Posts
What an excellent way to brighten up retirement :) I will remember that for mine. This year is a little too early for me though. I will have another baby to take care of by then and tbh... I am having a bit of an issue with not seeing the actual matches. Even though Holland doesn't seem to have a particularly strong team this year and I am not sure yet that "we" will qualify, I like to watch all games. I will just cheer for France if needed. Perhaps I will get my chance if France ever hosts the Olympics or something :D

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latest update: the fun starts next Saturday in Toulouse, with first day of training/team building. Apparently I'll be in the hospitality group. Not sure what that will involve.

Wales is playing a match in Toulouse.

Any other volunteers out there? :bounce:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts