Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
As conservative party re-elected for another 5 years, an EU referendum is almost obvious. How British citizen and their non-EU family members will affected if UK decided to leave EU? Specially for people whose gonna living in France for less than 5 years by then???

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it is too early to tell. For a start Cameron is pro Europe and now has a majority so should feel confident to have a very carefully worded referendum. Only UKIP wants a withdrawal and they don't even have a leader now.

Secondly the UK can't afford to withdraw from the EU in anyway except by name. ie if a withdrawal does occur it will be accompanied with multiple treaties to ensure things remain like freedom of movement. Big business will keep pressure on the Tories to ensure this occurs.

I'm pretty sure this will take a few years after a referendum so you probably have 5 years from now anyway, so you should be OK! At least that is what I'm telling myself as we only arrive in July!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I think that maybe, maybe, Cameron will get a deal from the EU that lets him out of a referendum. The unelected commissars in Brussels don't want a UK exit either - nor do they want an intense debate. That might show up major EU shortcomings (costs, lack of democracy, over-regulation) and also might give the idea to others.

The EU reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where all the characters were on the top floor of a high rise block of flats. If you stopped believing in the building it ceased to exist.

Certainly and economic disaster if the UK were to leave - even with the faults of the EU.

DejW

·
Registered
306 Posts
They suggested today on Radio 4 that the in out referendum would not be before 2017 anyway. The City of London (the financial district) is deeply pro-European and they are the real rulers of the UK anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They suggested today on Radio 4 that the in out referendum would not be before 2017 anyway. The City of London (the financial district) is deeply pro-European and they are the real rulers of the UK anyway.
Will it be early 2017 or late, any confirm date yet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts