Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you pick up a copy of The Cyprus Reporter, the latest freebee paper, you will find a small article on page 2 titled "Fine over milk quota".

It seems that Cyprus, Germany, Denmark, Poland and Austria exceeded their quotas for 2012/2013 and must pay penalties totalling €46 million. The Netherlands has a levy in a different category of €301,000.

The only place this money can come from is the citizens of these countries so they are being asked to pay a fine for something they had no control over. Quite where the money will go and for what purpose I have no idea, but it will not benefit them, I'm sure. In addition the concept of fining Cyprus, a country which is all but bankrupt and having to borrow money from the EU strikes me as rather perverse.

On top of this what I find even more bizarre is that the total EU milk quota has a shortfall of 6%. Had the overproducing countries met quota exactly the shortfall would be even greater.

I think it takes a special kind of brain to think up these counter-productive systems.

With a third of the world starving there cannot be overproduction of food. How much better if the EU concentrated on finding ways to deliver excess production to the countries needing it rather than simply handing out fines.

Pete

·
Registered
105 Posts
With a third of the world starving there cannot be overproduction of food. How much better if the EU concentrated on finding ways to deliver excess production to the countries needing it rather than simply handing out fines.

Well said Pete!

Sheila

1 - 2 of 2 Posts