Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am an indian citizen and i have a CDI contract currently. I like to know about EU blue card in france. If we hold EU blue card,
(1) Can we change employer or is it tied up to the current employer to a period?
(2) If we change job, say after the time period allowed to do so, is there any risk of not able to renew after three years?
(3) After what duration can we apply permanent resident permit in france so that i can work with out worrying about the blue card duration etc.

i am confused on all the above points after reading various links in google :(

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
This page from the Ministry of the Interior sums up the requirements of the EU blue card:
La carte bleue européenne / L'immigration professionnelle / Immigration - Immigration, asile, accueil et accompagnement des étrangers en France - Ministère de l'Intérieur

Basically, to answer your questions:
1. For the first two years you are obligated to remain with the employer you started out with. The card is good for from one to three years, based on your employment contract.

2. After the initial two years, you can change jobs, but the new job has to meet all the same requirements (skill level, salary, etc.) as the original blue card required.

3. After 5 years of uninterrupted residence in France, you can obtain a "long term resident" card (for 10 years), which will carry the indication that you are/were on a blue card. And when that card comes up for renewal, you can get a regular "carte residente" which is the standard long-term (i.e. permanent) resident card.

Details (about family members and such) are included in the article I linked to.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
i saw in the article(when translated to english) "During the two years following the initial issuance of the temporary residence card marked "EU Blue Card", the holder can exercise the profession for which he was issued this title. He will then have access to any highly qualified employment of his choice."
Does it mean i can still change the employer within initial 2 years if i can keep the same profession/designation with new employer also. After two years any profession of highly qualified employment"
The article didn't say anything specific about employer in this case. :(
My problem is if within 2 years my employer want me to go back to my home country, i have no options to stay here even after having a CDI contract and 3 year of resident permit/EU blue card. ?

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
I'm not sure of the particularities of the EU Blue Card - but it also seems not to be used all that frequently here in France. (You hear much more about it in countries like Germany.) Let's see if we can flag down someone with some recent experience in France with a Blue Card.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a tough time with out knowing french to find and set up an apartment and to go through the procedures of prefecture. Finally when resident permit for me and my wife is ready, its really tough for me to go back immediately if my company ask me to do so. So searching for all the options to be aware of the exact situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I checked various circular issued by french immigration, but all i could see was, in case of change of employment the new employer should meet the minimum salary requirement for the EU Blue card and new employer need to process new work permit. Nothing which says we cannot change employer.
The circular says as below.

1.3. Le changement d'employeur et la perte d'emploi
Le titulaire de la "carte bleue européenne" a la possibilité de changer d'employeur et
d'emploi sous réserve que la rémunération prévue dans le nouveau contrat ne soit pas
inférieure à 1,5 fois le salaire moyen brut annuel de référence et que soit délivrée une
nouvelle autorisation de travail, correspondant au nouvel emploi.

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
I suspect it's the obtaining of the work authorization (i.e. work permit) that can be the sticking point. Just be careful not to give notice until you're sure a new employer has obtained this. (Because not all employers are able to successfully obtain work authorization for a foreigner.) Many start-ups or smaller companies aren't aware of the process and may make promises they can't keep.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normally in france, from which office do we get the actual details about these things. Is it OFII or in prefecture? In that case i will go there and clarify these things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts