Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ETIAS or to give it - it's full name The European Travel Information and Authorisation System is going
through to the final stages of EU Commision & Parliamentary approval, after scrutiny by member states
before hopefully coming into force by the end of the decade.

For those familiar with the US Online visa system ESTA - the EU's equivalent system; to be rolled out
across all the Schengen Area states by 2019 or 2020 will be seeking the same information from
Non EU travellers to the EU as ESTA does to the USA and travellers must seek EIATS approval; at least
72 hours before departure to the European continent or risk being turned back from their destination.

UK citizens will be subjected to its rules once Britain has left the EU.
Once approved, the ETIAS will come with strict restrictions on who can and cannot enter the Schengen
area.

It’s likely the European visa will require personal information, security and health checks.

The European Commission has already confirmed the system will be similar to schemes in the
United States, Canada and Australia.

America’s visa requirement is called an ESTA, and requires extensive background information
from the applicant.

One of the questions is: "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious
damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?"

Even if you had a criminal conviction from years before, you could easily be denied entry into the country.

Certain health conditions might also prevent you from entering Europe post-Brexit, based on similar
schemes around the world. You will likely have to provide information on your state of health,
particularly infectious diseases.

Fees for an ETIAS Visa have already been set at 5 Euros.

So for those Brexiteers who thought that Brexit would be just be a stroll down the Non EU channel
at airports - think again, as you will also need to have your ETIAS approved as well.

Remainers verdict - Yes this is another fine mess you have got the Brits into Boris !!!

The ETIAS online visa

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Old news been on here before. Millions still holiday in the USA and other countries that require Estas or Visas. Never put them off. Travelled many times on Esta to USA. Lasts 2 years and takes only a few minutes to fill in.

Have you got an infectious disease NO 10 seconds.

·
Banned
63 Posts
This might be good news or bad for Benidorm - depending on which sector you work in..

If you are a super rich, non tax paying or moderately good footballer, you would be let in...

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Old news been on here before. Millions still holiday in the USA and other countries that require Estas or Visas. Never put them off. Travelled many times on Esta to USA. Lasts 2 years and takes only a few minutes to fill in.

Have you got an infectious disease NO 10 seconds.
When I used to travel regularly to Canada non -Canadian nationals were given a form to fill in on the plane, to be presented at Immigration on landing. Questions were mainly agricultural in tone -'Are you planning to visit a farm?', 'Are you importing seeds or plants?', that kind of thing. Two minute job.
Can't remember but I think it was the same procedure for U.S.

Yes, filling in any form required for entry to the EU/Schengen post-Brexit won't be onerous, far from it. But I think the main impact on Brits will be psychological in that it's a new requirement and places UK travellers on the same level as the rest of the non-EU world, something which will emphasise our detachment from mainland Europe in a definite way and which will be quite a shock to many visitors to Spain.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
I have no issue traveling anywhere and filling out a holiday visa... not a big deal and nothing to get excited about

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have no issue traveling anywhere and filling out a holiday visa... not a big deal and nothing to get excited about
Me neither, but if there are forms to be filled out in flight, it's unlikely that flights leaving from Spain to another EU destination will carry them, which probably means an extra process for us living outside the green and pleasant land....

Hopefullt it will be a simple online process and card payment, like for Turkey which takes literally 15 minutes and costs 20$.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Me neither, but if there are forms to be filled out in flight, it's unlikely that flights leaving from Spain to another EU destination will carry them, which probably means an extra process for us living outside the green and pleasant land....

Hopefullt it will be a simple online process and card payment, like for Turkey which takes literally 15 minutes and costs 20$.
I'd imagine the form will cover the entire EU upon first entry to the block, for example upon arrival into Spain from the UK. Once inside the EU, you should be able to move around freely or simply by showing you stamped form from first entry.

·
Registered
391 Posts
On the fascicle side (A) I assume if one has dual nationality I flash my UK passport when I make the odd return trip to UK and (B) Flash my EU passport when arrive in Spain to avoid the form filling!
Or (D) I'm made to fill out visa's and forms for both directions LOL

On a more serious side, maybe one good thing will come of it, if it filters out some of the undesirables that have a rap sheet as long as your arm!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the fascicle side (A) I assume if one has dual nationality I flash my UK passport when I make the odd return trip to UK and (B) Flash my EU passport when arrive in Spain to avoid the form filling!
Or (D) I'm made to fill out visa's and forms for both directions LOL

On a more serious side, maybe one good thing will come of it, if it filters out some of the undesirables that have a rap sheet as long as your arm!
Unless you hail from the yet to be declared Republic of Catalonia !!

:shocked:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Unless you hail from the yet to be declared Republic of Catalonia !!

:shocked:
Hi Williams2
Well it was very sad indeed to see how violent the police were in recent days in Catalonia.
Seeing people stamped on, thrown and pulled around by the hair and hit over the head while just queuing and blood pouring down one woman’s face etc
Totally unnecessary and indefensible IMO and I thought the Spanish governments apology was a complete joke.
If charges are not brought against some of those police it will not only show how inept the government is in handling the situation but also the EU for just sitting back and saying nothing, obvious why that is!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts