Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
People live here... not in ethiopia, not in india, not in phillipines...

They have to send money back to THERE.

Not live there.

Why do we as westerners think we are special that we should have a good life here, but will marginalize the lives of so many by saying "Its better then back home" for them. I just can not understand this mentality. I am fine to a point with my arabic friends, or even indians or africans mentality being like this because this is how they live, where they are from, how the system works...........................

But I like to think that those of us from 'westernized' countries, those that are educated about basic humanity and equal rights, lived in a place where (in theory, I know it doesnt always work this way) people even on the lower tier, get to have a moderatly comfortable life, understand that just because someone is a maid, they shouldnt have to live on next to nothing and be locked up, unable to do anything in life but go to work, sleep, and in the little extra time they have, stare out at others wishing how wonderful it would be to go have a dinner amongst 'friends' around the fountain mall.Would it not be appalling to pay somoene next to nothing in your home country, which thus would allow them to do nothing at all in life but send money home, and live years and years like this.... ??

I will never grow used to the dubai 'lifestyle' though... Sorry to go on a rant.

Pay what one can afford to pay but keep in mind that they are LIVING here too...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking at a cost of living index the UAE it is not that much more expensive to live than the US, especially if you leave rent aside. I was looking at rent/food costs in Ethiopia and they were about the same/slightly lower as the US outside of larger cities.
Nothing personal, but unless you can point me to a source I have a very hard time believing that.

Let's look at some (flawed, but still useful) indicators.

Gross domestic product at purchasing power parity per capita (which takes into account cost of living as well as inflation) in 2011 was

- for the whole USA: $48,147
- for Ethiopia: $1,092

The poorest state in the US is Mississippi. Average GSP (Gross State Product) per capita in 2010 (not at purchasing power parity, but still a useful indicator), was $32,967.

There are counties where the median income is much much lower than that, but they are hardly representative of the US outside the big cities.

So, about those sources..

(mine were Wikipedia, which again take their info from IMF, CIA Factbook and others).

·
Registered
959 Posts
if nationality or race or age doesn't matter, as the op rephrased the question below, i was wondering, would the op's wife do the maid's/nanny's/helper's job for 2,000 aed a month?

after all, it's about her kids, home, and food, isn't it?.....

so i'd say, pay the woman applying for this position the same money you would agree to give your wife, on top of everything you are offering her (if...).

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Great emotional response but I do not think your "50 times" as expensive to live in Dubai is factual. Looking at a cost of living index the UAE it is not that much more expensive to live than the US, especially if you leave rent aside. I was looking at rent/food costs in Ethiopia and they were about the same/slightly lower as the US outside of larger cities.

I have not had a live in maid for 20 years and it was in Thailand but am assuming that a live in maid in the UAE would not have rent and you would also provide the food, is this not the case?

yes room and board would be provided for live in..but for that you are on call 24/7.
You may also have a knock on your bedroom door for extra activities..

These women/men are doing exactly what we are doing.. trying to earn money to make a better life for their family.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Solberg said:
Nothing personal, but unless you can point me to a source I have a very hard time believing that.

Gross domestic product at purchasing power parity per capita (which takes into account cost of living as well as inflation) in 2011 was

The poorest state in the US is Mississippi. Average GSP (Gross State Product) per capita in 2010 (not at purchasing power parity, but still a useful indicator), was $32,967.

There are counties where the median income is much much lower than that, but they are hardly representative of the US outside the big cities.

(mine were Wikipedia, which again take their info from IMF, CIA Factbook and others).
I was using this source for prices in Ethiopia:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Ethiopia&city=Addis+Ababa

Fairly similar to Indianapolis Indiana.

And your point actually makes mine, with room and board paid the salaries being discussed are quite the opportunity for someone from that country. (assuming we will actually not put this person through the abuse others are pointing out. I certainly did not and would not subject a person to this treatment. But that also doesn't mean I would pay above prevailing wage)

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
I would have the headache if I would have offered to give my wife the money we would save by letting the maid go!:boxing:
Quite honestly, IF your wife is a stay at home mom, then this really is her job. So stating the obvious shouldn't be cause of a headache.

I don't think housewives in any of the Western countries hire maids to take care of their house and kids while they go out for coffees, lunches, manicures, pedicures, casual strolls in the malls, etc etc etc. Yet, that is all that these women in Dubai seem to be doing. Get the Indian or Filipino lady to watch your kids while you pamper yourself because "you deserve it" for just being a mother! Blah!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would have the headache if I would have offered to give my wife the money we would save by letting the maid go!:boxing:
seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? she's doing it all for free just 'cause she said "i do" or whatever you guys say in your culture :D

and, of course, she's doing it 'cause she loves it :p

the man who does not recognize and reward the full time job a woman has to do at home should try doing it too.

then he should ask himself how much it is worth if he wants someone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

Do a search for Cost of Living standards and a number of sites will compare various cities in the US to Dubai. From my calculations (using various sites), experience, etc. when all things are considered Dubai is cheaper to live in than NY and about the same as Houston. Now if you compare Abu Dhabi to these cities, that is the only city in the UAE which is more expensive to live in than any US city.

All comparisons won't matter since it all depends on the way a person lives and what amenities he/she can do with/without.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? she's doing it all for free just 'cause she said "i do" or whatever you guys say in your culture :D

and, of course, she's doing it 'cause she loves it :p

the man who does not recognize and reward the full time job a woman has to do at home should try doing it too.

then he should ask himself how much it is worth if he wants someone else to do it.
I was married to someone not from the US who hired a maid after we had our first child, we were living in Thailand. It was cheap and I was OK with it as I got to spend more time with the wife and child when I was home from work and it gave my wife companionship while I was gone (I was on a break rotation schedule). Being from the US I didn't think it should be necessary but who was I to judge another societies customs?

When we moved to the States my wife was actually shocked I would help out around the house (hey, no more maid, the least I could do was laundry, dishes and vacuum, right?).

Now I have a 3000 sq ft house and I'm single that my daughter helps with occasionally but basically I'm on my own, REALLY looking forward to moving to Dubai this week and having a maid again! :clap2:

G

·
Quite honestly, IF your wife is a stay at home mom, then this really is her job. So stating the obvious shouldn't be cause of a headache.

I dont quite agree with this just because someone is a stay at home mom cooking cleaning washing is not really her job ...(some do it because they cannot afford a maid or its there choice not to have a maid) superwoman only exist in movies but if you can afford one why would you want to do all of it looking after a child is a full time responsibility in it self as they do require constant attention .

I don't think housewives in any of the Western countries hire maids to take care of their house and kids while they go out for coffees, lunches, manicures, pedicures, casual strolls in the malls, etc etc etc.

only because its quite expensive to keep a nanny/maid there other wise that would be the way of life there too also back home you are surrounded by family who are always there to help you out when you do need to go get a manicure /pedicure/coffee/lunches etc..etc...

Get the Indian or Filipino lady to watch your kids while you pamper yourself because "you deserve it" for just being a mother! Blah!

by getting a filipino or an indian lady you are creating jobs for them coz that is why they are in dubai to do work .if all of the wives decided not to have maids at all ,All of the thousands filipino and indian ladies here to do housework will be without jobs .

so in the process of looking after ourselves we are creating thousands of jobs for other people

besides you dont want your hubby to come home and you are still in the nightdress that you were wearing when he left this morning because you were so over whelmed with all the cooking /cleaning/washing/and looking after your child that you did not have a moment for your self followed by the old age excuse of a headache:p

so i say 3 cheers to all the maids who make our lives easier and
Having said that i personally would pay my maid a very good salary that would keep her happy anywhere between 2000 - 3000 plus accommodation and ticket home because for all the time that i am unavailable i dont want an unhappy person looking after my child.

G

·

I don't think housewives in any of the Western countries hire maids to take care of their house and kids while they go out for coffees, lunches, manicures, pedicures, casual strolls in the malls, etc etc etc. Yet, that is all that these women in Dubai seem to be doing. Get the Indian or Filipino lady to watch your kids while you pamper yourself because "you deserve it" for just being a mother! Blah!

I dont quite agree with this just because someone is a stay at home mom cooking cleaning washing is not really her job ...(some do it because they cannot afford a maid or its there choice not to have a maid) superwoman only exist in movies but if you can afford one why would you want to do all of it looking after a child is a full time responsibility in it self as they do require constant attention .

I don't think housewives in any of the Western countries hire maids to take care of their house and kids while they go out for coffees, lunches, manicures, pedicures, casual strolls in the malls, etc etc etc.

only because its quite expensive to keep a nanny/maid there other wise that would be the way of life there too also back home you are surrounded by family who are always there to help you out when you do need to go get a manicure /pedicure/coffee/lunches etc..etc...

Get the Indian or Filipino lady to watch your kids while you pamper yourself because "you deserve it" for just being a mother! Blah!

by getting a filipino or an indian lady you are creating jobs for them coz that is why they are in dubai to do work .if all of the wives decided not to have maids at all ,All of the thousands filipino and indian ladies here to do housework will be without jobs .

so in the process of looking after ourselves we are creating thousands of jobs for other people

besides you dont want your hubby to come home and you are still in the nightdress that you were wearing when he left this morning because you were so over whelmed with all the cooking /cleaning/washing/and looking after your child that you did not have a moment for your self followed by the old age excuse of a headache

Having said that i personally would pay my maid a very good salary that would keep her happy anywhere between 2000 - 3000 plus accommodation and ticket home because for all the time that i am unavailable i dont want an unhappy person looking after my child.

·
Registered
39 Posts
pamela0810 said:

LOVE YOUR B4LLS for shoot'in straight GF!!!

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts

Took out all the jargon in between but what you're basically saying is that taking care of your child is a full time responsibility and it is your maid who is actually doing the job of being that child's mom while you're unavailable?

Don't mean to single you out (beause I'm quite sure that you are one of those stay at home Dubai moms) but in the last 5 years that I have been a mother, I have yet to drive into my neighbourhood from work and see a mother playing with her child in the park. It's always the maids and I know for a fact that these mothers do not have jobs. I highly doubt that they're in the kitchen preparing dinner for the family or getting dolled up for the husband.

As usual, it boils down to the expats moving to Dubai and getting so blinded by the money and flashy lifestyle thrown at them, that they find ways to justify pretty much everything that their conscience wouldn't otherwise allow.

Oh and Superwoman does exist. I know plenty of mothers who have good jobs, take care of their kids and husbands and manage to maintain a decent level of sanity while doing it all. Heck, my mother was a Superwoman!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Felt really weird reading this whole thread. To all the people who are creating jobs for the maids/nannies congratulations to all of you. But please don't quote GDP figures etc as your not sustaining the whole nation. So what if you pay them higher than what they may earn in their own country. They are looking after your flesh and blood. I'm sure when your searching for a nursery in your own country you try and choose the best one for your child even though it may cost a little bit more. So think of it like that only this time round your nanny/maid is going to be your child's carer. I am saying this as I have a 22 month old and would want the best for my child.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Now I have a 3000 sq ft house and I'm single that my daughter helps with occasionally but basically I'm on my own, REALLY looking forward to moving to Dubai this week and having a maid again! :clap2:
why people would need all that space if they don't have a large family is beyond my understanding, but hey, everyone is free to squander money any way they want...

if you can't clean your living space by yourself and will leave it to a person who doesn't give a flying f%^& if the bathroom(s) and the kitchen are disinfected properly, your laundry is done with that of the whole neighbourhood in one wash, and the dust builds up in places where no maid looks because the owner doesn't look... then get a maid.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.