41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
"Hello I'm an expat"

"What's an expat?"

"Oh that's easy. I have moved to live and work in another country"

"What's it like?"

"Oh it's great. I get paid a good wage because I am western, and it means I get to screw over loads of people because they are from Asia or Africa. Means I have more money for another brunch or a fake handbag for the wife from Karama"

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
but don't the maids get accommodation, food, generally telephone expenses, and some knick knacks apart from the salary? So doesn't really matter if Dubai is 34x or a bazillion times more expensive than Ethiopia.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Why should maids only earn the minimum wage??
Should they not also get a package for being away from home?

The minimum wage in Egypt is 700LE.. no Filipina would work for that and rightly so.
They have left their home, their family, their country..to try and earn some money for their family back home. They work hard and deserve a decent wage. If someone asks for a certain amount and you can afford it why not pay it?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
If someone asks for a certain amount and you can afford it why not pay it?
And I totally agree. If someone is asking 2.5K, I don't see any harm in paying that amount, being nice to the maid, giving her a day a week off, not having her on call 24x7, and then having a clear conscience.
I am yet to hear from others though what the "right" salary is, if 2-3K is too low.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
The minimum wage in Ethiopia is about $20 a month in the banking and public sector. AED2500 is about US$680 or about 34 times what she would be making in Ethiopia if she could find a job.

Any western expat here getting 34 times what you were making back home?

I earn way more than 34 times the minimum wage in the UK...

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
This thread makes me sad about humanity. :(

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I get paid a good wage because I am western, and it means I get to screw over loads of people because they are from Asia or Africa. [/B]
I personally get paid a good wage because of my knowledge of business management, products and the market and the friend I have with the most wealth accumilated is from India because of the same thing. Nothing to do with either of our skin colors.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Very rare in Dubai so it seems....

Lack of common sense is all quite rare as well.

Reactions: MaidenScotland

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
and we are talking about salary not per hour..

jeez if your earning good money and need a maid then pay her a good salary too... it will help her and you will feel good about it
Who says I would not? I was simply pointing out what a fantastic opportunity this salary would be for a maid from Etheopia.

On the other side of things though if people that are not familiar with the prevailing wage overpay for service, wage inflation will set in and people like this maid will be pushed aside in favor of people with better qualifications.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure, are you saying it's 34 times as expensive in Dubai?
While it's hard to find the exact numbers, a quick rummage around cost of living ranking tables make it clear that Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia) is one of the cheapest cities to live in Africa, while the UAE is the most expensive place to live in the Middle East. So yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dubai is 34 or even 50 times more expensive to live in than say Addis.

That's besides the point, tho. The point being that people who don't want to pay nannies a decent wage are scum. There, I said it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So what is the number than? What should a Maid/Helper/Nanny whatever you want to call it earn in Dubai? How much is decent? Everyone is jumping on how low they get paid, but there is no number specified. So please forget nationality, place of origin or anything else. lets work on this, Help with 1-2 years experience = XXXX, Help 2-4 years = Help with 4 and above = XXXX.
This will give us all a good ball park of what is "acceptable" we all already know the minimum wage, let us find the Average Decent "Expat" Wage

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
So what is the number than? What should a Maid/Helper/Nanny whatever you want to call it earn in Dubai? How much is decent? Everyone is jumping on how low they get paid, but there is no number specified. So please forget nationality, place of origin or anything else. lets work on this, Help with 1-2 years experience = XXXX, Help 2-4 years = Help with 4 and above = XXXX.
This will give us all a good ball park of what is "acceptable" we all already know the minimum wage, let us find the Average Decent "Expat" Wage
2000 Dhs as per the OP.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
While it's hard to find the exact numbers, a quick rummage around cost of living ranking tables make it clear that Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia) is one of the cheapest cities to live in Africa, while the UAE is the most expensive place to live in the Middle East. So yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dubai is 34 or even 50 times more expensive to live in than say Addis.

That's besides the point, tho. The point being that people who don't want to pay nannies a decent wage are scum. There, I said it.
Great emotional response but I do not think your "50 times" as expensive to live in Dubai is factual. Looking at a cost of living index the UAE it is not that much more expensive to live than the US, especially if you leave rent aside. I was looking at rent/food costs in Ethiopia and they were about the same/slightly lower as the US outside of larger cities.

I have not had a live in maid for 20 years and it was in Thailand but am assuming that a live in maid in the UAE would not have rent and you would also provide the food, is this not the case?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Everything else aside, I have been reading this forum, as I'm thinking about applying for a job in Abu Dhabi. I have two small children and would be very interested in a maid instead of using a nursery. To have an au pair in Australia (usually international students having a break from study) I'd pay about $200/week AUD, so to translate to the monthly salary I'd say about 3000 UAD/ month. At least for me personally, that's what I'd budget.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.