Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
it's really sad what dubai has done to some expats...

it's tricked those coming from the lower class into believing they are actually middle or upper class only because they are white and their first language is the lingua franca here.

it's convinced some others that the mere mentioning of the letters u, k, s, a, or e should send everyone around them on their knees automatically, probably thanking God the expatriate force who would otherwise be on the breadline in ther not-developed-anymore home countries have decided to grace dubai with their presence.

it's turned many, married women especially, into homemakers who cannot possibly live nowadays without a host of nannies, maids, drivers, cleaners, gardeners, salon assistants while back home they never dreamed of ever doing their nails or going to spas on a weekly basis, and taking care of the kids would be joined resposibility in the family if the father is still around or sober.

it's also sad how many western expats have adopted the system of casts and servitude traditionally kept in the middle east for decades if not centuries because they absolutely love the benefits they are offered, but they keep condemning lack of human rights and violation of individual freedoms.

who would clean your home, wash your clothes, talk with and take care of your children, cook for your family, wash your car, tickle your toes if the "domestic help" one day remember they are not temporary slaves?

scary thought, eh...

I agree with everything you have said and in the past have been quite vocal about people who couldn't afford a Mrs Scrubit for a few hours back home come out here and think they are princesses.

Maids, domestics, etc have it hard as they generally send all or most of their money home, they don't see their family for years and yet expats want to pay them as little as possible.

I would rather have the warm glow that being fair and just to staff gives me to having a bit more money in the bank

I have had live in staff for years and four of my old maids now live in USA and each one keeps in touch with me to this day. I know they don't tell friends family what a horror of a job they had when working for me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is really. Your passport is quite enough to get you a salary that's at least 3 times more than what you would get paid back home. That to me is unfair in the exact same way it is to pay an Ethiopian maid Dhs 800 a month for putting in more than 12 hours of work each day.
Well this clearly does not apply to me or anyone in my office. I work for a South African owned company and the salary is based on the level of the position and not color of skin/passport or anything else.
I maintain my stance of paying 50-70% more on the minimum wage(guide from the UAE) is not exploitation, I don't know where you are getting AED800 from really now. Also there is a lot of mention of 12 Hours, where did this come from?
I also don't need to mention or justify to you or anyone for that matter how much "extra" the maid receives. Gosh this is turning out to be like the "OTHER" forum :focus:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well this clearly does not apply to me or anyone in my office. I work for a South African owned company and the salary is based on the level of the position and not color of skin/passport or anything else.
I maintain my stance of paying 50-70% more on the minimum wage(guide from the UAE) is not exploitation, I don't know where you are getting AED800 from really now. Also there is a lot of mention of 12 Hours, where did this come from?
I also don't need to mention or justify to you or anyone for that matter how much "extra" the maid receives. Gosh this is turning out to be like the "OTHER" forum :focus:
Not on topic I know, but if you truly believe that is the case in Dubai, you are sadly mistaken.

Anyhow, back to topic :focus:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone with a link on a maid agency in dubai. Only genuine ones please. Or can I 'import' my own help.
Is it very expensive

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not on topic I know, but if you truly believe that is the case in Dubai, you are sadly mistaken.

Anyhow, back to topic :focus:
:confused:

I said that it did not apply to , I made no mention of Dubai as a whole. Take the time to read the message, and I know that this is not the case in Dubai, that is why I asked Jinx the question....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
...I bet your company does not include your visa fees and your annual air ticket as part of your monthly compensation...
Going off on a tangent... ;)

In my industry (oil and gas), the TOTAL cost of placing an expat is including visa fees and annual air ticket, plus plus plus plus plus...

The average ranges from US$200,000 to US$400,000 per year (depending on position and family) for the typical expat when all considered. More for higher positions.

Rule of thumb for justification is getting minimum 2 or 3 times the "value" in return for each ex-pat.

:focus:

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is just so wrong, even the fact that 'Ethiopian' was mentioned in the question by the poster. Honestly, why didn’t you just ask about maid salary without mentioning Ethiopian? Was that necessary?

As for AK47, I think we now all know how much you value your maids…

·
Registered
377 Posts
You know, I have thought allot about this "inequality" of hiring practices here. The question begs an answer...why would one person pay X times more for a job to be done when someone who is just as qualified and willing for that much less?

For example, I have recently been contemplating hiring for an Office Manager position. I have many options for qualified, degreed, professionals...with experience and good language skills for what I would consider an amazing low compensation package. How is it that I can justify paying someone, for the same job, against numerous qualified people, even 50% of what I would expect to pay in the EU or even the US? It makes no sense for me to do that...and worse still...it is a very poor business decision on my part. I have MANY that are wanting 30% of what I would pay in the US...and this is what they are telling ME they want...I have not stated a compensation package at all.

The fact of the matter is, they need jobs. They know how to live on that, are used to that situation, and are CONTENT with that amount.

Now, for me, I haven't been able to bring myself to hire for that amount yet. It seems far to low. But, I am doing my company owners a disservice if I pay more than the market demands. For now, I have just not hired at all. Even that puts me in a moral dilemma...not hiring takes a needed job off the market that someone needs, hiring at market value for DUBAI seems like it is immoral. What to do??

If I was the OP...and the amount that the person I wanted was within my budget...I would not haggle for even 1000 AED reduction monthly. It is a small price to pay really. Would I pay 5000 vs. 2500? No...but I would not take someone asking for 2500 and drive them down to 1800 or 1500...if I was concerned about that 700-1000 AED a month, I shouldn't be looking for a maid.

Yes, I understand the points of comparison to the western world, etc.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
xchaos777 said:
If I was the OP...and the amount that the person I wanted was within my budget...I would not haggle for even 1000 AED reduction monthly. It is a small price to pay really. Would I pay 5000 vs. 2500? No...but I would not take someone asking for 2500 and drive them down to 1800 or 1500...if I was concerned about that 700-1000 AED a month, I shouldn't be looking for a maid.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would say no, you must go have a look at many labour agencies in Dubai and Sharjah and i would recommend felipino nanny is the best for taking care of babies. good luck with that ;-)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The minimum wage in Ethiopia is about $20 a month in the banking and public sector. AED2500 is about US$680 or about 34 times what she would be making in Ethiopia if she could find a job.

Any western expat here getting 34 times what you were making back home?

·
Banned
423 Posts
You know, I have thought allot about this "inequality" of hiring practices here. The question begs an answer...why would one person pay X times more for a job to be done when someone who is just as qualified and willing for that much less?

For example, I have recently been contemplating hiring for an Office Manager position. I have many options for qualified, degreed, professionals...with experience and good language skills for what I would consider an amazing low compensation package. How is it that I can justify paying someone, for the same job, against numerous qualified people, even 50% of what I would expect to pay in the EU or even the US? It makes no sense for me to do that...and worse still...it is a very poor business decision on my part. I have MANY that are wanting 30% of what I would pay in the US...and this is what they are telling ME they want...I have not stated a compensation package at all.

The fact of the matter is, they need jobs. They know how to live on that, are used to that situation, and are CONTENT with that amount.

Now, for me, I haven't been able to bring myself to hire for that amount yet. It seems far to low. But, I am doing my company owners a disservice if I pay more than the market demands. For now, I have just not hired at all. Even that puts me in a moral dilemma...not hiring takes a needed job off the market that someone needs, hiring at market value for DUBAI seems like it is immoral. What to do??

Yes, I understand the points of comparison to the western world, etc.
Your last line says it all. The point is that in so called "poor" countries people who make AED2000/month are classed as rich, let's face it they have no real expense (Maids (god I hate that word), I mean).

So it's folly thinking that western ways and salary can be compared, they can't. Why pay someone much more than they request? It doesn't make sense.

However to use your analogy, a house in India/Philippines is a lot less than one in Europe/USA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The minimum wage in Ethiopia is about $20 a month in the banking and public sector. AED2500 is about US$680 or about 34 times what she would be making in Ethiopia if she could find a job.

Any western expat here getting 34 times what you were making back home?
What do you think the average living cost is in UAE compared to Ethiopia? Some people...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Solberg said:
What do you think the average living cost is in UAE compared to Ethiopia? Some people...
Not sure, are you saying it's 34 times as expensive in Dubai?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think you got this the other way around. He's trying to make a point that the average living cost in Dubai is much higher than Ethiopia.
My sentence structure was awkward, but correct. I was asking if the poster thinks it is 34 times as expensive in Dubai compared to Ethiopia.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.