Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an estate car where you can fold down the rear seats and so form a large cargo hold.

I know that it is not allowed to have your shopping on a rear seat in case , if you brake heavily, the contents can interfere with the driver.

Is this the case with cargo with the seats down?

And if so, would one of those dog adjustable metal dog screens suffice to keep the Guardia Civil happy?

We are going to be moving a few bits and bats soon and want to stay legal. Otherwise I will have to hire a van.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
We have an estate car where you can fold down the rear seats and so form a large cargo hold.

I know that it is not allowed to have your shopping on a rear seat in case , if you brake heavily, the contents can interfere with the driver.

Is this the case with cargo with the seats down?

And if so, would one of those dog adjustable metal dog screens suffice to keep the Guardia Civil happy?

We are going to be moving a few bits and bats soon and want to stay legal. Otherwise I will have to hire a van.
If the car manufacturers sell the vehicles for the seats to fold down/be removed then if it was necessary to have a load compartment divider to comply with road safety regulations they'd have to supply one.
They just make it up, you just have to treat the GC with the same contempt as the occasional one treats you.
Many of the rules are nonsensical. Why does an enclosed van have a bulkhead behind the driver & passenger but the same vehicle with an additional row of rear seats doesn't need one = We used to have both & it is absolutely ludicrous.
To answer your question though, it might help , it might not. If he's having a bad day then he'll say that it needed to be actually bolted to the sides.
I've even seen a ticket given for a curtain pole slid from back to front into the passengers footwell classed as an 'insecure load' ! This on a vehicle where the centre armrest folds down to allow , in the manufacturers own words " your ski's to travel securely."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts