Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an earlier post, it was mentioned a few times that Estate Agents' commission / fees are payable to each and every agent that shows you the property that you end up buying. So it is therefore important to view the property with only one agent.

I assume that this does not apply with different agents from the same company, is that correct?

For example say Agent A from large company XYZ shows me a property. I am interested but that agent doesn't answers calls / emails or is generally not helpful in the purchase process. So I request a different Agent B from the same company XYZ to conduct further viewings, etc. Are 1 or 2 commissions payable?

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I'm not sure one estate agency would actually employ several agents to cover the same "patch"? Having sales agents within the same company competing with each other for the same customers, doesn't sound a very French way of doing things somehow. But maybe they do, I don't know.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Honestly, I would ask before allowing a second agent from the same agency to show me the same property. If you have a copy of the agreement you signed regarding the property you could check to see if it says that, on purchase you owe the fee to the agency or to the specific agent. But in any event, don't sign a second agreement to see the property.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not sure one estate agency would actually employ several agents to cover the same "patch"? Having sales agents within the same company competing with each other for the same customers, doesn't sound a very French way of doing things somehow. But maybe they do, I don't know.
It should not be a problem (as long as you tell the second agent that you have seen it with the first agent) and it is the agency that has to sort out how much of the commission goes to their employees. The first agent may have taken leave or been away sick, however it is not a good idea to specifically request a second agent from the same company show you the property.

You cannot do this with two agencies who are 'branches' of the same company, because then you would have to pay both of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern really at the moment is that I am planning to visit France soon to view properties, but the agents I am in contact with at two of the larger companies are not very good at returning emails. Is that maybe just because I'm not there yet, and their way of silently saying "contact me again when you're here" ? I don't want to arrive and both have disappeared.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My concern really at the moment is that I am planning to visit France soon to view properties, but the agents I am in contact with at two of the larger companies are not very good at returning emails. Is that maybe just because I'm not there yet, and their way of silently saying "contact me again when you're here" ? I don't want to arrive and both have disappeared.
If that's their level of service now, then you may want to think about finding alternatives.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's well known that state agents here are notoriously bad at answering e-mails, and yes I guess you'd probably get better feed-back after an initial visit. And the photos they display are frequently so poor. French forums are full of negative comments, for nil follow-up to e-mails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts