Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silly question. I am filling out the ESTA form for travel to the US for my husband. One of the questions is: Are you a citizen of any other country? In this context what does the word "citizen" mean. He is a dual national and is applying using his French passport and lives in France. Would I check yes for his other nationality?

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
Dual national US-France? (In which case he wouldn't need an ESTA registration.) Or dual-national something else with his French nationality? (In which case you'd just list the other nationality - i.e. other than French.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I suspect that you might be reading more into this simple question than is intended. As a guide, for 'citizen' you could think 'has a passport is able to get one'. Quite different from 'resident'.

Let me give you my own case. I have an ESTA based on my Australian passport. So for that question I answer 'British', as I also have a British passport. I used to be a Singaporean PR, but I would not put that in the form.

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
One further note: If your husband is a dual national US-French, then he is obligated to enter the US on a US passport. If he is naturalized American, chances are he won't have any problems, but if he has a US birthplace indicated on his French passport, it is becoming more and more common for the Immigration authorities to pull people aside for "questioning" on entry. (Happened to the daughter of a friend of mine just last year.) Chances are it will be no more than a delay and an aggravation (though he will get a "stern talking-to") but it is a bit harrowing after a long flight.

Do NOT fill out the ESTA if he has US citizenship. Just get him a US passport. "You'll be glad you did."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bev. He does not hold a US passport. I did it this morning and it was approved.

The form has changed considerably since the last time I did this for him. Now they want to know everything about you, parents names, employer, etc. I was a little bit concerned because I have a friend who has a French passport but also an Iranian one. She has always had authorization to enter the States but with the new form, she never heard from them after filling it out. My husband was born in Egypt so I was a little bit concerned that I would have to go to the Embassy and get a real visa and have to bring tons of documents with me.

This is one less thing to worry about now.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bellthorpe,

I didn't understand it either. I also told my friend that she (his wife) has a tracking number, and told him for her to resubmit it. She knows what she is doing since she has submitted this form before, so don't know what happened. I will have to pursue it more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts