Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, nice advice please... I have a ferry booked for 17th Jan which ive put back twice already, I now feel I need to get back and work on house including the belated urgent prep for winter, water etc so could be essential travel. I have 2 houses in France and now need to get over. I feel that armed with the documents to support my travelling. Neg covid, sworn statement, water bill, attestation stating address in France when I bought the second house in france nearby the first. The car will be full with boxes and as a self employed person it's very much travel because its my work. Anyone any recent experience of this from anyone they know. You can travel for work with good reason in lockdown UK. So it's getting over and through any checks other end. Just please any useful advice to help the chances of getting over. Thanks

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
This is from the French embassy in the UK: COVID-19: UK and French travel and quarantine measures

I'd be careful about the notion that "you can travel for work with good reason in lockdown UK" - I don't know what the precise regulations are, but normally by "work" they mean your job, not to work on your private property as you are planning to do. But you're more familiar with the rules over there than any of us over here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bev thanks for reply it's more the French angle whether I'm not doing anything unlawful over there. I'm OK with uk side im a self employed in a variety of ways and have worked at times throughout every lockdown..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's something that goes on my tax returns in the UK for earnings so its part of my work related earnings.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Be aware that if you are taking anything over then you may need to show that they are for personal use and not being imported to France and you will only be allowed to stay for 90 days in 180

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Hi bev thanks for reply it's more the French angle whether I'm not doing anything unlawful over there. I'm OK with uk side im a self employed in a variety of ways and have worked at times throughout every lockdown..
If you are physically located in France while doing the work, you are considered to be working in France - for tax purposes and for cotisation (social insurance) purposes. France doesn't recognize "self employment" in the same way that the UK does. And the fact that your business is located in the UK doesn't mean anything as far as the French government is concerned. If you are working from France, you are working in France.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How is this essential travel?

BTW I'm not sure the previous comment about importing personal goods is valid. Unless the withdrawal agreement provides some sort of waiver you're subject to the duty free levels. There have already been stories about people mail ordering from the UK and being hit with bills from customs.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If you are physically located in France while doing the work, you are considered to be working in France - for tax purposes and for cotisation (social insurance) purposes. France doesn't recognize "self employment" in the same way that the UK does. And the fact that your business is located in the UK doesn't mean anything as far as the French government is concerned. If you are working from France, you are working in France.
Even if it's unpaid work on his own properties?

Having said that, if OP has two properties here perhaps he's already running a business from them.

OP: As regards 'prep for winter', not sure where you are heading but here we have a whiteout snow storm, and it's already been down to -5 C some nights.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Having said that, if OP has two properties here perhaps he's already running a business from them.

OP: As regards 'prep for winter', not sure where you are heading but here we have a whiteout snow storm, and it's already been down to -5 C some nights.
Then it likely would not be considered work.

Re winter, I guess it depends where the property is located, given a fair slice of France has experienced maximums of 3 deg and minimums below -5 over recent days, and according to the weather forecasts negative temps, snow and ice are as of today spreading much further.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Responding to this in the OPs original post:
The car will be full with boxes and as a self employed person it's very much travel because its my work.
Means it's unlikely he can justify the travel as "essential" based on it being due to his work. Certainly not here in France (though who knows what the travel rules are in the UK these days?)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
There might well be difficulties in proving that a car stuffed with boxes is just personal I have no doubt but the OP also needs to remember that to return to the UK after next week he will need a negative covid test and isolate for 10 days on his return

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi thanks I am now at desparation stage to get over, so thanks for the quarantine info but this I know (me and family had to do 14 days after being in France for all of August, so I'm ready for that) I realise the cold has bet me but that's, due to me cancelling a couple of times which leads me to being still valid I need to get to my house to do the necessary work, roof etc. (yes I know it's not now sensible season for roof work) and preparing house for family and establishing primary residence.
My first house is, a holiday rental since 2017 when I commenced with rentals, which earnings go through the French impots. I have to acknowledge this in the UK. And considering last month I've paid 3000€ on 2 x d'habitation (1 not habitable) and 3x foncieres. And have to 'work' to get it ready and habitable and in a way not dangerous. This second house I am planning on establishing as primary residence.
That's the story, I'll have a negative test cert. Notaire bill. Attestation showing noted address at time of purchase of second being in a French town. Honour statement. Current utility bill for address. Return ticket so they know I'm going back. If there's anything else I've missed. I'll be travelling alone. Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and boxes flat pack kitchen with receipt less than 450€ which I think is the bracket for imports and second hand doors. Going to do the form on French ministry for interior.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a item in connexion that came from French official that travelling to do urgent maintenance on a second property was legitimate

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I would suggest that anything that is in "The Connexion" should be treated with a heavy dose of scepticism
And remember it is the individual frontalier on the day who will decide whether you can travel or not

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering what the scenario would be passed the UK border onto ferry to get a frosty reaction at the French border passport control...

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I was wondering what the scenario would be passed the UK border onto ferry to get a frosty reaction at the French border passport control...
The 'French Border' is in Dover.
(At least it was prior to Jan 1st.)

Once you depart the ferry it's foot-down straight onto the motorway.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
Wait until after Castex speaks tonight. There are indications that there may be a pretty strict border closure coming - especially in the attempt to avoid the "English variant" of Covid.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
The current curfew in all but about 25 departements in the east of the country is 8 pm. But the word on the street (stay tuned) says the 6 pm curfew is going to be extended country-wide. When that would take effect we won't know until after 6 pm when the presser happens.

But the other word on the street says it's possible there will be a full lockdown on the weekends.

The border closure is a whole different matter. As they say, "stay tuned...."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts