Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.

We are buying a house in this town in the summer and would like to know if there are any friendly folks in the area that are in any clubs, walking groups, music, drinks, meet up's.....in fact anything really.

Also any tips on what to do, where to go.

Steve

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hello there.

We are buying a house in this town in the summer and would like to know if there are any friendly folks in the area that are in any clubs, walking groups, music, drinks, meet up's.....in fact anything really.

Also any tips on what to do, where to go.

Steve
Suggest you call by your local Mairie to find out what associations there are in your area. There are walking clubs all over France. However, be aware that generally they all stop for the summer and start up again in September. You should also check to see whether there is an AVF in your area. There may also find 'On Va Sortir' in the area. Also have a look on meetup.com.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,658 Posts
I knew esperaza pretty well, having had a holiday home down the road in quillan for ten years before moving away in 2009.

There are lots of friendly folk in the area. Do you mean fellow brits (of which there are very very many) ? Or the locals? The area is very etranger friendly, having sheltered many spanish republicans fleeing franco in days of yore.

There used to be a good and regular randonees group from quillan on sundays for instance, and is a great way to meet and practise your language skills the locals. They slso used to run a club which ran free french lessons. As EH said check with mairie, but i would suggest you try the local run groups first before resorting to expat groups.

When i left, there was talk of of creating a cricket club, but how you get a decent wicket in the foothills of the pyrenees god only knows.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must practice my googlies then! Thanks very much for both responses so far. If anyone else has any ideas or help, or even if you live there please post.

We both would love to brush up on our French. If anyone could help out there I can swap French lessons for Saxophone lessons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts