Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the new rule for SET M which states that any one applying for ILR must take 'Life in UK test' and 'ESOL'. But anyone with equivalent or above ESOL will not need to take it.
I have a masters degree in UK and i KNOW that is a higher qualification than ESOL. I just want to be sure if i still need to take the ESOL OR NOT. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[email protected] so sorry for disturbing you again Joppa, but just need a clear view on the recent things i read on the UKBA requirement. i will be applying by november for ILR under SET (M), AND THE NEW RULES START FROM 28th OCTOBER, 2013. AND STATES THAT :

From 28 October 2013, unless they are exempt, all applicants for settlement or naturalisation as a British citizen will need to meet the knowledge of language and life requirement by:
passing the life in the UK test; and
having a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

My question is does my Msc degree cover for the new English at B1 CEFR OR HIGHER or its equivalent?
i will be expecting your reply please. Thanks for your understanding

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Yes. Your UK Masters will be equivalent to any English language requirement laid down by UKBA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clarification about bills for ilr

@JOPPA, i have another question to ask please. me and my spouse have our both names on the bills till last month when NPower said there system can only allow one name to be put on the bill. we decided that my wife's name should be put on the bill and i will be the contact in case of any reference. NPower supply my Electric and Gas and home office require 6 bills from us for applying for ILR. these are the list of the bills we have in both names and separate;

ELECTRIC AND GAS BILLS ( WAS IN BOTH NAMES SINCE WE GET MARRIED, BUT NOW IN MY WIFE'E NAME)
WATER AND COUNCIL TAX BILLS ( BOTH NAMES )
ELECTORAL LETTER (BOTH NAMES)
BANK STATEMENT ( MY NAME)
CREDIT CARDS STATEMENT (MY NAME)
ONLINE CATALOGUE SHOPPING ACCOUNT STATEMENT ( MY NAME)
MY COMPANY'S PENSION SCHEME LETTER ( MY NAME)

my question now is- are these documents enough for the application? and if not, what other documents can you recommend for me please.
thanks for your support and understanding

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clarification on naturalisation

if i entered UK in february 2010, and got married August 2011, and i have got my ILR. can i apply for the naturalisation?
my question is do i need to have spent 3 years in UK or 3 year of being married to my spouse before i can apply for the naturalisation?
Thanks

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
if i entered UK in february 2010, and got married August 2011, and i have got my ILR. can i apply for the naturalisation?
my question is do i need to have spent 3 years in UK or 3 year of being married to my spouse before i can apply for the naturalisation?
Thanks
3 years in UK other than as visitor, as an illegal, in jail etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clarification on benefit

@ Joppa, i will like a quick clarification about my spouse been on benefit for couple of months now. she lost her job and she's been searching for a new job but not yet successful; and we are both going for my ILR next month. please i will like to know if her been on benefit will affect me getting my ILR or she should come of it.
THANKS

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Not necessarily, provided you meet the maintenance requirement. Including any benefit payments, you two must have £112.55 left each week after taking housing cost and council tax from your total income. If you have children (any nationality), you need more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.