Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi James3214,

I saw it on an update on the news last night but it didn't say where she was moving to and I wasn't interested enough to watch the main news to find out.

I don't want her around and I'm very happy that she's leaving Australia - it will be a better place without her! She was the leader of 'One Nation' which was against immigration especially of Asians.

From the Guardian online:
She said in an interview with the magazine Women's Day: "Our governments lack enough people with the fortitude to speak up without fear or favour. Over-regulation, increasing taxes and lack of true representation are affecting our way of life. I feel very much for the young ones. Once it was common for them to own their own home. Not now. It's a harder place."

And she thinks that it'll be that different in the UK :D :D :D

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
246 Posts
When the GST was introduced to Australia she got up on her soapbox and said that her idea of a flat 2% tax on everything was better because it was a fairer system and easier to understand. She rightly so got ripped to shreds for that one. And I still remember her being interviewed about the increased usage of speed cameras. She just kept repeating "It is revenue raising, fair and simple" and had the same response when asked to explain that if people didn't speed there would be no problem right? Poor Pauline. She just sets herself up as a target.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
What she says is actually quite true. Trying to get ahead in this country is very hard.
If you think it's hard then it will be.
It's no harder than any person moving to any new country.

·
Banned
934 Posts
True but the cost of living here is astronomical. Housing, the job opportunities are limited.

As soon as I'm forced out of a decent area near the city then living in thi country simply isn't worth it. I'll go elsewhere.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you think it's hard then it will be.
It's no harder than any person moving to any new country.
Ofcourse it's hard moving to another country, but what people don't realize is that it is harder now to get ahead in a new country than it was years ago. I moved here in 1966 and the first 5 years were very hard but I'm at a place now that I doubt I would have been had I stayed where I was. My children have also had very good opportunities and have wonderful standards of living. However, I do not envy anyone who emigrates now. The same opportunities are not there in the same number as they were. I would not try to discourage immigrants but would make them aware that they will go backwards in standard of living because they will not , as a rule, obtain the same level in their profession/trade that they enjoy now. They have to start working their way up again. I do have to add that this is a great country and well worth the effort - as long as K Rudd and Co. don't stuff it up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
On the subject of Pauline Hanson, she was not as bigoted as the media made out. She said many things that most people would agree with.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Look, immigration needs to be toughened up - And not just in OZ....
60 points for hairdressing.... Crappy course which allow people to "sneak" in. Beside for REAL cases of taking on refugees as handed down by the UN, people that come into Australia need to have the required skills and be willing to integrate. (This goes for the UK etc)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts