Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

My husband got accepted into the Erasmus Mundus program out of Belgium but the first year is at the Universite de Lorraine. My husband got accepted there and we are having a very difficult time trying to get visa info. The visa options through Campus France- who they insist you go through- are a) studying through an American university, obviously irrelevant or b) studying independently, in which case you need to provide proof of income to sustain yourself. We have a scholarship from Erasmus Mundus. The "correspondent" responds to detailed questions with two nonsensical answers...and we are running out of time...I know it might be a long shot but if anyone has any info on how to go about the visa process as an American it would be very helpful. We have both lived in France before but through US uni so it was much more straightforward. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Also- bonus question- as the spouse who would LOVE a job, any visa tips and/or ways to get work insights are also much appreciated! Cheers!

·
Administrator
49,434 Posts
If you have a scholarship from Erasmus Mundus, then you should have some letter or other evidence of the arrangement. That would be your financial "proof of income" for the visa application. (You'll still probably have to submit bank statements - think of it as paper to fill up your dossier.)

Unfortunately, unless your husband can score a "researcher or scientific" visa rather than a student visa, I don't think you're likely to be able to get work papers as a dependent.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The consulate wrote an email saying students can't have dependents and I would need to get a visitor visa with a year of savings. However Campus France says that students can have dependents and that would be my visa, which has no rights to work (which is fine, at this point I just want to make sure I can come!).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi. More a response to your reply to my post.

I moved from Nancy to the UK in January so have experience around the area you'll be living. If you need any advice please do not hesitate to get in touch. I have a few American friends in Nancy in academia so I'm sure I could put you in touch if you wish.

My agency that I used to find my apartment was bertrand & fils. It's run by two brothers, one of whom speaks good English and both are very nice to deal with. Here's their website.
Louez un appartement, une maison, un garage à Nancy | Aucun frais d'agence

Bonne chance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi firefly2327! Sorry for the late reply! I would love to get in touch with the people you know. I fear that knowing only my husband will not work well for me, as I am quite social, for better and for worse : ) Please feel free to private message me with any info you have. I would sure appreciate it. Also, we found a place to live. Huzzah! We arrive on the 26th of this month and are so excited. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts