Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Currently I'm working on my 189 visa and I've got solid 55 points and will obtain the 5 points via NAATI by November. I heard that an EOI with only 60 points will be treated on first come, first served basis and I probably need to wait for a long time. Therefore am I allowed to hand in my EOI prior to obtaining 60 points in order to possibly accelerate my application?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi,
you can submit an EOI in SkillSelect even if you do not meet the points test pass mark as long as you meet the criteria for the visa/s you are interested in. As and when your experience or qualifications increase you can update your EOI. SkillSelect will automatically update your points score and visa eligibility based on your EOI claims.
You will not be eligible for an invitation until you have a complete EOI and meet the points test pass mark though.
So when your points are updated to 60 in November you will be eligible to receive an invite BUT your date of effect will be November and not the date when you first filled the EOI.
SO in the end it wont matter if you submit your EOI now with 55 points or in November with 60 points.
your date of effect will be November.
Other option to get an invite sooner is
1. Go for state sponsorship which gives you 5 extra points and you reach 60 points.
2. increase your IELTS score if you are getting 10 points as of now you can try PTE for 20 points.

Hey guys,

Currently I'm working on my 189 visa and I've got solid 55 points and will obtain the 5 points via NAATI by November. I heard that an EOI with only 60 points will be treated on first come, first served basis and I probably need to wait for a long time. Therefore am I allowed to hand in my EOI prior to obtaining 60 points in order to possibly accelerate my application?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
you can submit an EOI in SkillSelect even if you do not meet the points test pass mark as long as you meet the criteria for the visa/s you are interested in. As and when your experience or qualifications increase you can update your EOI. SkillSelect will automatically update your points score and visa eligibility based on your EOI claims.
You will not be eligible for an invitation until you have a complete EOI and meet the points test pass mark though.
So when your points are updated to 60 in November you will be eligible to receive an invite BUT your date of effect will be November and not the date when you first filled the EOI.
SO in the end it wont matter if you submit your EOI now with 55 points or in November with 60 points.
your date of effect will be November.
Other option to get an invite sooner is
1. Go for state sponsorship which gives you 5 extra points and you reach 60 points.
2. increase your IELTS score if you are getting 10 points as of now you can try PTE for 20 points.
Thanks sukesh, that's very helpful.

I took the IELTS and only got 4*7 with L8.5 R7 S7 W7. I didn't prepare for it but I'm sure I'm nowhere near band 8 in speaking and writing under the marking scheme of IELTS. So do you think PET or toefl is worth a try? Or I just wait for my NAATI accreditation for extra points.

Besides, how long is the waiting time now for an invitation for 60 pts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello There,

PTE is much easier when compared to IELTS. They have easier test pattern and results are declared in 5 business days. You have a good score in IELTS so if you attempt for PTE Exam, there are good chances that you can score better marks and apply for EOI as soon as possible.

I would advice you to research on PTE on this forum and in general as well. There is a exclusive thread on PTE Exam here. I personally think waiting till Nov is wasting time, but it's up to your choice. Thanks!

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/672738-pte-exam.html

Thanks sukesh, that's very helpful.

I took the IELTS and only got 4*7 with L8.5 R7 S7 W7. I didn't prepare for it but I'm sure I'm nowhere near band 8 in speaking and writing under the marking scheme of IELTS. So do you think PET or toefl is worth a try? Or I just wait for my NAATI accreditation for extra points.

Besides, how long is the waiting time now for an invitation for 60 pts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts