Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have 60 points for the 189 as a software engineer, but 60 is not enough to get an invitation due to high demand. :(

My partner is a legal professional with 2 years of experience. Is it possible to claim 5 more points through her?
Do both of us have to be from the same profession or a category?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You both have to belong to same list of occupation. Yours is 261313 Software Engineer. Please check what your partner's code and which list it belongs to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You both have to belong to same list of occupation. Yours is 261313 Software Engineer. Please check what your partner's code and which list it belongs to.
Hi,
thanks a lot for the reply.
I assume the lists that are referring to MLTSSL and STSOL? :(
If so mine is in MLTSSL and partners is in STSOL. Isn't S.E accepted as both MLT and ST?

·
Registered
23,944 Posts
Hi,
If so mine is in MLTSSL and partners is in STSOL. Isn't S.E accepted as both MLT and ST?
Don't know what you mean by S E
Now coming to your question you can claim partner points in 190 but not in 189

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know what you mean by S E
Now coming to your question you can claim partner points in 190 but not in 189

Cheers
Thank you so much.
I couldn't find any reference on line. Can you guide me to a online reference which mentions that 190 can be applied.

thanks a lot again. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All,

Please help me to understand the dependent functional English requirement.
As of now I have the ACS and IELTS ready for the EOI,I am not claiming any points from my dependent, but my dependent not yet have the IELTS/PTE ready , though we are planning to have it with in next 15days.
so my doubt are like :-
1 . Can I submit my EOI now with out my dependent PTE/IELTS handy (we will get it done with in next 15days)
2. For including dependent there is option to add dependent (yes/no), but there is also a option of including family member (yes/no), what should I choose to the option family member ,yes or no, if yes then do i need to mention the member number to 1,as we are only 2 person including me (primary and dependent (partner))

Regards
Milan Pradhan

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi All,

Please help me to understand the dependent functional English requirement.
As of now I have the ACS and IELTS ready for the EOI,I am not claiming any points from my dependent, but my dependent not yet have the IELTS/PTE ready , though we are planning to have it with in next 15days.
so my doubt are like :-
1 . Can I submit my EOI now with out my dependent PTE/IELTS handy (we will get it done with in next 15days)
2. For including dependent there is option to add dependent (yes/no), but there is also a option of including family member (yes/no), what should I choose to the option family member ,yes or no, if yes then do i need to mention the member number to 1,as we are only 2 person including me (primary and dependent (partner))

Regards
Milan Pradhan

Since you are not claiming points for dependent. Only functional english is required, you can get a letter from College saying all the courses were in English.

1.) If you are planning for PTE then its even better. You can apply EOI if you are going to get the results in 2 weeks.

2.) Since you have mentioned it as dependent, go for dependent. I assume that it is your spouse/defacto partner

There are two paths you can take to provide proof for functional english either to get letter or PTE/IELTS. Its your choice. Based on your choice proceed further

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi,
SE - Software Engineer is present in both the lists, but the pathway is different. Like newbienz mentioned, 190 is for STSOL now this way you become STSOL as that of your partner.

Please search this forum for how to apply 190

Reactions: ermpradhan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since you are not claiming points for dependent. Only functional english is required, you can get a letter from College saying all the courses were in English.

1.) If you are planning for PTE then its even better. You can apply EOI if you are going to get the results in 2 weeks.

2.) Since you have mentioned it as dependent, go for dependent. I assume that it is your spouse/defacto partner

There are two paths you can take to provide proof for functional english either to get letter or PTE/IELTS. Its your choice. Based on your choice proceed further
Thanks Anamica23,

1.My mistake , there is option for add family member and the other one is for partner/de facto. so do I go with the partner only (yes the second applicant is my wife) and not to mention in the family member option to yes and specify the number?
2. Yes we are planning for PTE for my partner , but I am in doubt that the PTE date will be after the DOE date of my EOI, is that will create any problem ? but any way we will be completed the PTE before the invitation.

Please suggest ..

Regards
Milan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SE - Software Engineer is present in both the lists, but the pathway is different. Like newbienz mentioned, 190 is for STSOL now this way you become STSOL as that of your partner.

Please search this forum for how to apply 190
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks Anamica23,

1.My mistake , there is option for add family member and the other one is for partner/de facto. so do I go with the partner only (yes the second applicant is my wife) and not to mention in the family member option to yes and specify the number?
2. Yes we are planning for PTE for my partner , but I am in doubt that the PTE date will be after the DOE date of my EOI, is that will create any problem ? but any way we will be completed the PTE before the invitation.

Please suggest ..

Regards
Milan
1.) I forgot the exact question they ask in EOI. I think its "Additional member " could you please post the exact question here. Choose spouse
2.) It wont affect DOE because it is partners points and not yours -- have nt heard anything related to it

Senior members might reply to the query

·
Registered
23,944 Posts
Thank you so much.
I couldn't find any reference on line. Can you guide me to a online reference which mentions that 190 can be applied.

thanks a lot again. :)
The rule for claiming points is that the jobs for both the partners should be on the same list

Under 189 they are not on the same list as they are on MLTSSL and STSOL so,you cannot claim.

However, when we come to 190, then you have the combined list, which has both the jobs in the same list
Hence you are eligible to claim

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rule for claiming points is that the jobs for both the partners should be on the same list

Under 189 they are not on the same list as they are on MLTSSL and STSOL so,you cannot claim.

However, when we come to 190, then you have the combined list, which has both the jobs in the same list
Hence you are eligible to claim

Cheers
Thank you so much for the excellent explanation.
Legal Professionals are only required in Northern Territory. If I apply from NSW as a software engineer, will I still be able to claim these 5 points.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23,944 Posts
Thank you so much for the excellent explanation.
Legal Professionals are only required in Northern Territory. If I apply from NSW as a software engineer, will I still be able to claim these 5 points.

Thanks in advance.
There has been a serious doubt being raised whether you can actually claim 5points under 190 also post my reply to you in a separate thread
There are members both for and against it and the decision is inconclusive

As a wrong decision in this can have very severe repercussions, it is better to get professional advice if you can claim points even if the jobs are in separate lists even under 190 as is your case

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There has been a serious doubt being raised whether you can actually claim 5points under 190 also post my reply to you in a separate thread
There are members both for and against it and the decision is inconclusive

As a wrong decision in this can have very severe repercussions, it is better to get professional advice if you can claim points even if the jobs are in separate lists even under 190 as is your case

Cheers
I have discussed with two consultants and each had a different idea. Can you provide the link to your other thread so that I can follow it.
Is there any other way to confirm this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts