Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My full name as written on my passport is "SAMY MOENIS ADLY ZAKY". i dont have First/Middle/Last name fields in my passport.

When i created my PTE account, i wrote my last name as "ADLY ZAKY".
And my EA outcome letter shows my last name as "ADLY ZAKY"

Now, when i got to the point to submit an EOI, DIBP clearly states that i must write my last name as "ZAKY".

I used the same passport as an identification document when dealing with DIBP, EA, PTE. My full name is identical in all documents, the issue i'm raising is the first/middle/last name format. I just fear that the last name confusion may cause any problems with DIBP.

any advice?

Regards,
Samy

·
Registered
71 Posts
why can't you write ADLY ZAKY as last name in the EOI application? is the system not allowing it because of the space?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why can't you write ADLY ZAKY as last name in the EOI application? is the system not allowing it because of the space?
When you get to the point to submit an EOI, there are clear instructions to how to write your name.

It has to be just "ZAKY" in the last name.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
When you get to the point to submit an EOI, there are clear instructions to how to write your name.

It has to be just "ZAKY" in the last name.
What are the instructions? Can you paste here?

As your passport doesn't have any first/middle/last , so why cant you just add full name field in SURNAME field?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the instructions? Can you paste here?

As your passport doesn't have any first/middle/last , so why cant you just add full name field in SURNAME field?
The instructions stated that if you have only one name, then write it in the last name and leave the given names blank ..

The following are DIBP's instructions:

Family and given names

​​​​​​Family name is also known as last name or surname.

In Australia, the family name is the name that is shared with the rest of the family, whereas the given names are the names that are unique to an individual within the family.

General format rules

If you have only one name, enter that name into the family name field.

If you consider that you do not have a family name, enter all your given names into the family name field and leave the given names field blank.

All names may only contain standard English alphabetic characters, that is 'a' to 'z' or 'A' to 'Z'.

See Conversion rules for non-standard English alphabetic characters

Important note: The conversion rules are only a guide to assist you to successfully proceed with your online application.

Apostrophes can be used in names, but must not be the first character. There must not be a space on either side of the apostrophe.

Example: O'Toole can be entered as is but 'Alofa should be entered as Alofa.

Hyphens can be used in names. There must not be a space on either side of the hyphen.

Example: Hamilton-Smith

The family name field and the given names field both have a maximum of 100 characters, including spaces, apostrophes and hyphens.

If the name you are entering in the family name field and/or given names field is longer than this maximum, then enter as much of it as you can. If you are entering more than one name in the given names field, then only enter as many as will fit completely. Do not enter partial names.

General examples

JOHN SMITH

Family name: SMITH
Given names: JOHN

JOHN PETER SMITH

Given names: JOHN PETER

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The instructions stated that if you have only one name, then write it in the last name and leave the given names blank ..

The following are DIBP's instructions:

Family and given names

​​​​​​Family name is also known as last name or surname.

In Australia, the family name is the name that is shared with the rest of the family, whereas the given names are the names that are unique to an individual within the family.

General format rules

If you have only one name, enter that name into the family name field.

If you consider that you do not have a family name, enter all your given names into the family name field and leave the given names field blank.

All names may only contain standard English alphabetic characters, that is 'a' to 'z' or 'A' to 'Z'.

See Conversion rules for non-standard English alphabetic characters

Important note: The conversion rules are only a guide to assist you to successfully proceed with your online application.

Apostrophes can be used in names, but must not be the first character. There must not be a space on either side of the apostrophe.

Example: O'Toole can be entered as is but 'Alofa should be entered as Alofa.

Hyphens can be used in names. There must not be a space on either side of the hyphen.

Example: Hamilton-Smith

The family name field and the given names field both have a maximum of 100 characters, including spaces, apostrophes and hyphens.

If the name you are entering in the family name field and/or given names field is longer than this maximum, then enter as much of it as you can. If you are entering more than one name in the given names field, then only enter as many as will fit completely. Do not enter partial names.

General examples

JOHN SMITH

Given names: JOHN

JOHN PETER SMITH

Given names: JOHN PETER
I would enter the full name in Surname field.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't find any reason in the instructions why you can't specify Adly Zaky as your last name. It's ok to have two words in family/sur name.

Compound surnames in English and several other European cultures feature two (or occasionally more) words, often joined by a hyphen or hyphens. However, it is not unusual for compound surnames to be composed of separate words not linked by a hyphen, for example Iain Duncan Smith, a former leader of the British Conservative Party, whose surname is "Duncan Smith".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts