Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EOI points is 140 which i claimed my qualification for absolute skills shortage under Quantity Surveying. However, the agent said i am not qualified for the points as my qualifications is not Bachelor of Construction (Quantity Surveying) as stated in the LTSSL hence she reduced my points to 115 (after omitting the qualification & work experience is absolute skills shortage). Well, i am graduated in Bachelor Science of Housing, Building & Planning (Quantity Surveying) and i do believe every universities have their name for different courses. So, what should i do now so that i can claimed those points?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
So as I understand it, your agent is correct that you would not be entitled to those points since your specific qualification is not listed exactly in the requirements list for your chosen occupation off the LTSSL.
If you feel the actual qualification that you have is equivalent to one of the qualifications that is specifically stated within the requirements of the chosen occupation off the LTSSL you must collect evidence to prove to Immigration that regardless of qualification name, your qualification meets the requirements and is a match for the specific qualification on the list.

To do this, you will either have to go through a professional registration board for your specific occupation (if there is one in NZ) or apply to another suitable professional body in NZ or even maybe AUS who can compare both the qualification on the list and your qualification and determine if they are actually a match.
First of all try The New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors who are The NZ Institute of Quantity Surveyors. They should at least be able to steer you in the right direction.
You will have to get in touch with them anyway and start the process to become registered with them before Immigration would consider you for a Resident Visa anyway as it is part of the criteria. You will have to provide evidence in your formal application that you have started the process of registration with this institute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So as I understand it, your agent is correct that you would not be entitled to those points since your specific qualification is not listed exactly in the requirements list for your chosen occupation off the LTSSL.
If you feel the actual qualification that you have is equivalent to one of the qualifications that is specifically stated within the requirements of the chosen occupation off the LTSSL you must collect evidence to prove to Immigration that regardless of qualification name, your qualification meets the requirements and is a match for the specific qualification on the list.

To do this, you will either have to go through a professional registration board for your specific occupation (if there is one in NZ) or apply to another suitable professional body in NZ or even maybe AUS who can compare both the qualification on the list and your qualification and determine if they are actually a match.
First of all try The New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors who are The NZ Institute of Quantity Surveyors. They should at least be able to steer you in the right direction.
You will have to get in touch with them anyway and start the process to become registered with them before Immigration would consider you for a Resident Visa anyway as it is part of the criteria. You will have to provide evidence in your formal application that you have started the process of registration with this institute.
Thanks for your replied :)! i have contacted NZIQS and waiting for their reply currently. Planning to register with them but too many membership on their website so unsure which one should i apply for.:confused2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

First of all try The New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors[/url] who are The NZ Institute of Quantity Surveyors. They should at least be able to steer you in the right direction.
By the way, as stated in the LTSSL list as below, if i have the membership, how do i supposed to notified them since the EOI do not have any column for us to written regarding the membership?

For the occupation of Quantity Surveyor, Column 4 of the LTSSL requires:
One of the following:
- Bachelor of Construction (Quantity Surveying) (NZQF Level 7)
- Bachelor of Construction (Construction Economics) (NZQF Level 7)
- Graduate Membership of the New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors (with an overseas degree approved by NZIQS)
AND
a minimum of three years relevant post-qualification work experience

·
Registered
34 Posts
By the way, as stated in the LTSSL list as below, if i have the membership, how do i supposed to notified them since the EOI do not have any column for us to written regarding the membership?

For the occupation of Quantity Surveyor, Column 4 of the LTSSL requires:
One of the following:
- Bachelor of Construction (Quantity Surveying) (NZQF Level 7)
- Bachelor of Construction (Construction Economics) (NZQF Level 7)
- Graduate Membership of the New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors (with an overseas degree approved by NZIQS)
AND
a minimum of three years relevant post-qualification work experience

1 - 5 of 5 Posts