1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
goodmorning everyone

I made the following post on the British forum and was told I better ask here:

I would really appreciate it if someone can help answer these questions for me

I am a british citizen married to a US citizen and have both been living in UK for the last four years. My husband stayed in the UK on a spouse visa and never applied for british citizenship

I am now 7 months pregnant and my husband has returned permanently in US where I will join him. However we havent started the process of him filing for permanent residency for me in USA, so can I enter the US 7-8 months pregnant on a tourist visa?

I want the child to be born in USA even if we cannot move to live there right away due to financial circumstances at present.

I am worried they will not allow me to enter just so I can give birth there

I can physically hide it but I'm not sure if that's illegal. Also, if they ask me to walk into xray doors I cant and would have to tell them I'm pregnant

any informed advise would be helpful

thank you

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Do airlines allow heavily pregnant women to fly?? If you hide it and something goes wrong, you could lose your baby and it will be your fault. Even if you did get to the US, what about health and birthing costs? I'm not sure why you would bother to do this??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do airlines allow heavily pregnant women to fly?? If you hide it and something goes wrong, you could lose your baby and it will be your fault. Even if you did get to the US, what about health and birthing costs? I'm not sure why you would bother to do this??

Jo xxx
some airlines allow flying up to eight months if your doctor cinfirms its safe to fly. this is for risk free pregnancies that have been going well without complications

the flight is six hours it is unlikely i will enter labour and give birth during those six hours

and i have explained that it is better for my child to be born there if possible

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
some airlines allow flying up to eight months if your doctor cinfirms its safe to fly. this is for risk free pregnancies that have been going well without complications

the flight is six hours it is unlikely i will enter labour and give birth during those six hours

and i have explained that it is better for my child to be born there if possible
So if you need a letter confirming its safe for you to fly from your doctor then you cant hide it as you suggested in your previous post. Whether you are likely to give birth during a 6 hour flight is neither here nor there. You cant possibly know that.

As for it being better to have a baby in the US is debatable - better in what respect??? It'll be expensive thats for sure!!!

But you do need to state the truthful reasons for your trip on your visitors visor

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
50,027 Posts
One other factor to consider - there is a definite possibility that you won't be allowed to enter the US on your arrival.

Ultimately, it's up to the immigration officer you encounter - but arriving on a VWP, married to a USC, with no immigrant visa and within a month or two of giving birth, it certainly gives the impression that you are unlikely to be planning on leaving the US by the time your 90 days are up. And based on that "suspicion" you could easily be refused entry.

And, if you're refused, it could mess up your ability to get a spouse visa later on.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Your martial status and your immigration status are two seperate issues.

It has already been pointed out to you that there are medical concerns about the welfare of the child during a flight that late in your pregnance. How will you cover medical expenses? Do you trust a strange doctor to deliver your child? Slight complications and you will not be able to leave within your 90 day time frame. Self inflicted overstay may put a damper on your plans of moving to the US. Yes, it is likely that you will be refused entry - immigration intent and anchor baby.

Being born in the UK is an advantage for the child as long as the father is on the birth certificate and can legally transfer his US citizenship to the child. He/she will have UK and US.

What is your spouse filing in the US? DCF is the fasted, easiest and cheapest spousal visa if you have been married over two years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you need a letter confirming its safe for you to fly from your doctor then you cant hide it as you suggested in your previous post. Whether you are likely to give birth during a 6 hour flight is neither here nor there. You cant possibly know that.

As for it being better to have a baby in the US is debatable - better in what respect??? It'll be expensive thats for sure!!!

But you do need to state the truthful reasons for your trip on your visitors visor

Jo xxx
well if you hide it then they dont know and they wont ask for a letter will they?!

the question is will i be refused entry. how safe for me is to fly is something for my doctor to decide and the very fact that there are laws allowng women to fly up to this point shows its not unheard of or unusual

he child will be anerican anyway wether born there or not. but being born on US soil has its.advantages which are irrelevant to the question

please can people who are informed respond regarding entry to US in my situation

thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
but being born on US soil has its.advantages which are irrelevant to the question
What advantage do you think there is? Your child will be a US citizen no matter where it is born. Stay in the UK and have your baby where you are entitled to medical care.

·
Administrator
50,027 Posts
Found this description of what happens on entry to the US and thought you might be interested: (from: Admission into United States - CBP.gov)

If you are an alien, the CBP Officer must determine why you are coming to the United States, what documents you may require, if you have those documents, and how long you should be allowed to initially stay in the United States. These determinations usually take less than one minute to make. If you are allowed to proceed, the officer will stamp your passport and customs declaration form and issue a completed Form I-94 to you. A completed form I-94 will show what immigration classification you were given and how long you are allowed to stay.

Also, If you are an alien, CBP Officers may decide that you should not be permitted to enter the United States. There are many reasons why this might happen (see INA § 212(a)). You will either be placed in detention, or temporarily held until return flight arrangements can be made. If you have a visa, it may be cancelled. In certain instances, Officer(s) may not be able to decide if you should be allowed into the United States. In this case, your inspection may be deferred (postponed), and you will be instructed to go to another office located near your intended destination in the United States for further processing.
As you can see there are a number of possibilities for what could happen to you on arrival. And each possibility has serious consequences for your ability to get a spouse visa later on. The US can and does deport mothers and wives of US citizens, leaving the US citizen spouse and child in the US. There have even been a couple cases of women giving birth while in detention, handcuffed to the bed.

You mentioned Medicaid in your other thread over in the Britain section. Medicaid in the US is a state run program, normally only available to state residents. It doesn't matter if you're married to a state resident, you aren't a state resident until you have a green card.

There is also a little matter of the fact that, whoever sponsors your visa application (your husband and any co-sponsor, like his parents) have to assure the government that you will not seek any public benefits for your first 10 years in the country. Medicaid is definitely considered a public benefit, "welfare" as it's called in the US.

You're playing a very dangerous game here - and the consequences could turn out very badly for you, for your child and for your husband.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found this description of what happens on entry to the US and thought you might be interested: (from: Admission into United States - CBP.gov)

As you can see there are a number of possibilities for what could happen to you on arrival. And each possibility has serious consequences for your ability to get a spouse visa later on. The US can and does deport mothers and wives of US citizens, leaving the US citizen spouse and child in the US. There have even been a couple cases of women giving birth while in detention, handcuffed to the bed.

You mentioned Medicaid in your other thread over in the Britain section. Medicaid in the US is a state run program, normally only available to state residents. It doesn't matter if you're married to a state resident, you aren't a state resident until you have a green card.

There is also a little matter of the fact that, whoever sponsors your visa application (your husband and any co-sponsor, like his parents) have to assure the government that you will not seek any public benefits for your first 10 years in the country. Medicaid is definitely considered a public benefit, "welfare" as it's called in the US.

You're playing a very dangerous game here - and the consequences could turn out very badly for you, for your child and for your husband.
Cheers,
Bev
yes but i assumed you already know that British citizens dont even need to apply for a tourist visa. You just buy a ticket and automatically you are allowed to enter USA for 3 months as a tourist. I've flown before without any problem.

The question again is about being pregnant only

and medicaid does help people in my case, i have asked about that. But the problem is Immigration Officer if he asks me how im intending to pay, and saying medicaid if it will be a problem. Once im inside medicaid will pay.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Conference calls are great for a bit of fact finding:>)

OP's husband is on a six months waiting list to enlist in the US Armed Forces. That means he will (hopefully) be in basic training after Christmas 2012. Until then - there does not seem to be employment with medical insurance.
Medicare is handled on a federal basis but foreigners do not qualify.
Does OP realize she is putting her and the unborn child's wellfare into the hands of an ER physician? And that the debt will follow her and the father until it is paid?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
yes but i assumed you already know that British citizens dont even need to apply for a tourist visa. You just buy a ticket and automatically you are allowed to enter USA for 3 months as a tourist. I've flown before without any problem.

The question again is about being pregnant only

and medicaid does help people in my case, i have asked about that. But the problem is Immigration Officer if he asks me how im intending to pay, and saying medicaid if it will be a problem. Once im inside medicaid will pay.
1. Yes, there will be a problem at Immigration.

2. Medicaid does not pay for non residents. See here under other eligibility criteria:-

Eligibility | Medicaid.gov

However, the fact that you have even posted such a ridiculous suggestion with regard flying to the US and having a baby here with no medical cover, no visa etc leads me to believe that you are not going to take the very sound advice you have received, to heart.

I wonder if this is not all a hoax.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
yes but i assumed you already know that British citizens dont even need to apply for a tourist visa. You just buy a ticket and automatically you are allowed to enter USA for 3 months as a tourist. I've flown before without any problem..
@@@Wrong - unless ESTA has been approved the airlines will not let you board and the limit is 90 days.

@@@Wrong - you are not eligible for Medicaid.

I have the feeling that OP will do whatever she wants to do with no regard to common sense, responsibility or law. Please consider this a personal statement. All I can do is wish her good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Conference calls are great for a bit of fact finding:>)

OP's husband is on a six months waiting list to enlist in the US Armed Forces. That means he will (hopefully) be in basic training after Christmas 2012. Until then - there does not seem to be employment with medical insurance.
Medicare is handled on a federal basis but foreigners do not qualify.
Does OP realize she is putting her and the unborn child's wellfare into the hands of an ER physician? And that the debt will follow her and the father until it is paid?
when you go to emergency labour, you dont get a non-qualified person delivering you

every labour is emergency. every ER has the relevant doctors on call, at least in the developed countries, and i doubt this is not the case in USA

so if you need a gyne doctor, there will be someone on call to come and take care of you, if you only need midwifes at that point, that is what you will get, but thats what you get even if you go for your planned birth in hospital, and depending on how things go, they might ask for doctors to come or schedule cesarian

why are people responding without good information

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Yes, there will be a problem at Immigration.

2. Medicaid does not pay for non residents. See here under other eligibility criteria:-

Eligibility | Medicaid.gov

However, the fact that you have even posted such a ridiculous suggestion with regard flying to the US and having a baby here with no medical cover, no visa etc leads me to believe that you are not going to take the very sound advice you have received, to heart.

I wonder if this is not all a hoax.
I have taken the good advise to heart and thanked the people for it, including yourself

why would this be a hoax?

but for the people who are sidetracking and not answering the question at hand, I have asked them not to do that, because I already aksed at the begining for informed answers only, as this is a serious case, and you wouldnt want to mislead anyone

medicaid, is only for residents. But Emergency medicaid, such as labour, is paid to everybody. Anyone regardless of their status, who needs urgent care will not be turned away at the hospital. The problem might be, and is what I am trying to find out from people here, will the Immigration Officer ask about this

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
when you go to emergency labour, you dont get a non-qualified person delivering you

every labour is emergency. every ER has the relevant doctors on call, at least in the developed countries, and i doubt this is not the case in USA

so if you need a gyne doctor, there will be someone on call to come and take care of you, if you only need midwifes at that point, that is what you will get, but thats what you get even if you go for your planned birth in hospital, and depending on how things go, they might ask for doctors to come or schedule cesarian

why are people responding without good information
They are. You have US nationals, you have a UK national who lives in the US posting to you - all who KNOW exactly how it is and you choose not to listen and have decided you know better. Where are you getting your information!?? Heck, even I who know nothing have a friend who had a an accident in the US several years ago and yes she was seen in the ER room by qualified staff and yes, to this day she is still paying - the debt follows you til its paid! The one thing I cant understand is why on earth you'd want to do this???? There will be no gain at all for you, your baby or your husband! Just heart ache and if, by some miracle they dont turn you away - expense!!!

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,464 Posts
I have taken the good advise to heart and thanked the people for it, including yourself

but for the people who are sidetracking and not answering the question at hand, I have asked them not to do that, because I already aksed at the begining for informed answers only, as this is a serious case, and you wouldnt want to mislead anyone

medicaid, is only for residents. But Emergency medicaid, such as labour, is paid to everybody. Anyone regardless of their status, who needs urgent care will not be turned away at the hospital. The problem might be, and is what I am trying to find out from people here, will the Immigration Officer ask about this
if the immigration officer asks, what are you planning to say?

are you going to lie?

as you have already been told, there is a VERY HIGH CHANCE that you will be refused entry to the US - if you DO get in & go on to have the baby there is VERY HIGH CHANCE that you will be refused a spouse visa because you entered the country on false pretences

then there is a VERY HIGH CHANCE that you will be deported & your baby left with your husband

·
Registered
6,370 Posts

You are, for reasons unknown to us here ,potentially putting an unborn child's life in danger and counting on not paying for your self induced medical bills. The answer that you will potentially be turned away from entry has been given to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@@@Wrong - unless ESTA has been approved the airlines will not let you board and the limit is 90 days.

@@@Wrong - you are not eligible for Medicaid.

I have the feeling that OP will do whatever she wants to do with no regard to common sense, responsibility or law. Please consider this a personal statement. All I can do is wish her good luck!
yes, ESTA is a short form ive filled before and never had a problem. And it does not even ask you if youre pregnant there or not. So again, this is not an issue

I have actually spoken to medicaid, and have been told that they would treat me in the hosptial in my circumstances. So this was not my question to you

but again, if you cant answer the question I am actually asking, I dont see why you are making these coments you are making

1 - 20 of 45 Posts