Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been issued a marriage visa to the UK and will be flying there from Vancouver on June 15. I am just wondering if there is any special paper-work or evidence that I will need with me to enter since it will be my first time on this visa. I have been hassled by the UK border patrol before so I want to do everything that I can to ensure an easy entry.

My husband will not be travelling with me, I will be on my own.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I have been issued a marriage visa to the UK and will be flying there from Vancouver on June 15. I am just wondering if there is any special paper-work or evidence that I will need with me to enter since it will be my first time on this visa. I have been hassled by the UK border patrol before so I want to do everything that I can to ensure an easy entry.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Most importantly, I believe you're IN FACT required to travel with your husband (assuming he's the UK citizen and your sponsor) the first time you enter with your Spousal visa.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I travelled alone into the UK the first time on my visa. It may depend on the type of visa, but the 27 month probationary spouse visa permits entry to the UK unaccompanied.

Most important thing? Keep your passport handy:) Second most important thing? Be dressed neatly with a pleasant smile and attitude.

It also helps to be sure to have a few things with you in case the Immigration Officer (IO) has a lot of questions. The easiest answer is to suggest you carry the documents the UKBA sent you back from making the application-after all, that is the information they used to determine your application for the visa they have granted you. It will have your address in the UK, your sponsor's letter, pics and other proof of an enduring relationship, etc.

I kept the important things like the letter from my husband on top of the binder clipped bundle, too, so that I could hand it to the IO if needed (it wasn't).

I inched forward until it was my turn with an IO, presented my passport and the declaration form, and waited for her to ask the questions-I didn't try to be chatty. She looked at my passport, asked if this was my first arrival to the UK on the new visa, where was my husband, how did we meet and how long had we known each other.

Simples. took a few minutes and I was on my way to baggage claim. Where it turned out my luggage had been misdirected, but hey ho, it arrived the next day:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I travelled alone into the UK the first time on my visa. It may depend on the type of visa, but the 27 month probationary spouse visa permits entry to the UK unaccompanied.
day:D
It would be great if you're right about the spouse visa permitting entry unaccompanied, but the rule as I understand it from Joppa is the following:

"The rule is your sponsor (spouse) either travels ahead of you or together, but you cannot arrive before your sponsor (spouse)."

So, I guess the question back to the OP is whether her husband will already be in the UK (ahead of her) or remain in Vancouver and travel to the UK later. If the latter, it seems there will be issues.

G

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It would be great if you're right about the spouse visa permitting entry unaccompanied, but the rule as I understand it from Joppa is the following:

"The rule is your sponsor (spouse) either travels ahead of you or together, but you cannot arrive before your sponsor (spouse)."

So, I guess the question back to the OP is whether her husband will already be in the UK (ahead of her) or remain in Vancouver and travel to the UK later. If the latter, it seems there will be issues.

G
From the OP, my impression is that the sponsor spouse is already in the UK, and I based my reply on that.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
From the OP, my impression is that the sponsor spouse is already in the UK, and I based my reply on that.
The OP said:
That seems to imply that her husband is still in Canada and she is travelling ahead of him. Otherwise she'd have said, 'as he is already in UK.'

If this is the case, then, as you have encountered, the immigration officer is likely to ask about the whereabouts of her husband (and may try to speak to him on the phone), and if he is still back in Canada, she may be denied entry and sent home. The only circumstance she may be allowed in is if he has arrived in UK and is setting up a home, and is only temporarily away on business or a short holiday (e.g. a stag night!). The spouse visa is for travelling together to settle in UK, or to join a spouse already settled in UK.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The OP said:

That seems to imply that her husband is still in Canada and she is travelling ahead of him. Otherwise she'd have said, 'as he is already in UK.'

If this is the case, then, as you have encountered, the immigration officer is likely to ask about the whereabouts of her husband (and may try to speak to him on the phone), and if he is still back in Canada, she may be denied entry and sent home. The only circumstance she may be allowed in is if he has arrived in UK and is setting up a home, and is only temporarily away on business or a short holiday (e.g. a stag night!). The spouse visa is for travelling together to settle in UK, or to join a spouse already settled in UK.
I remember wording my post the same way back when:) I can't look it up because I deleted that account and rejoined here a few months ago, but it seems I recall wording my post along the lines of "I'm returning to the UK alone, what do I do at the airport?"

So I took the OP to be saying the same thing-that he wouldn't be travelling with her because he is already in the UK.

Lol, I do recall your reply to that post last year-that I should dress neatly, stay calm and pleasant, and have some of the documents I'd used in my (successful) application handy. It seems I recall you saying the IO might ask me a lot of questions, and that the whereabouts of my husband might well be one.

It was, of course, as I noted in my reply to the OP. My answer was that he was awaiting me in the welcoming area, and that satisfied her. It was a much more pleasant entry to the UK than I'd had the first time and it was due to the advice you gave, thank-you again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have been more clear. My husband is already in the UK and he will be picking me up at the airport when I arrive, so hopefully that will make things easier. Thank you for the advice, I think I just needed some reassurance. I will be sure to bring some documentation just incase, and I'll do my best to look nice after my 9.5 hour flight :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.