Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not just postpone your trip until you meet the fully vaccinated requirement?
I already paid for my place for June and booked everything. I would lose money and it would be a hell of an inconvenience. Yes being sent back to the US surely would be too but that is why I am trying to weigh the risks right now. Quarantine upon arrival is nothing I'd fret over (although annoying).

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do have a compelling reason however I don't know if it would hold up as my Visa is currently under review. Quarantine would be to rest home 10 days or subject to a fine correct ?
Here is the list of compelling reasons (in French) if you aren’t vaccinated:
To repeat: I know of no quarantine option if you do not meet the requirements to enter France. They will likely turn you away at the airport or French border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea I'm fully sending it. I'll let you know how it goes, I also have a compelling reason, however I don't know if will hold up because I don't have my Visa yet (in process) although I have my supporting documents (Proof of registration/acceptance to school)

Also thank you @dpdapper

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Regardless of how Delta has handled things in the past, if you are refused entry to France, Delta will be responsible for flying you back to the States. So they may be a bit more "concentrated" on the situation now.

As far as I can see, you do have the "compelling reason" as this comes from the form you need to have on you to document your reason:
[ ] 8. Students enrolled in French as a foreign language (FLE) courses prior to enrollment in higher education or admitted to the oral examinations in French higher education institutions or registered for the start of the 2021-2022 school year; Researcher settling in France at the invitation of a research laboratory, for research activities which imperatively require a physical presence as well as his spouse (married, civil union, cohabiting on presentation of proof of community of life) and his children ;
The full document is here: Certificate of international travel under Mobility rules and regulations.

Not sure how the matter of not having your visa yet will affect things. Haven't checked lately, but generally they really do limit you to a fairly brief period of time before your program begins (i.e. when issuing the visa). But with all the delays and issues with the pandemic, who knows.

But for unvaccinated folks from an "orange" country, this is the official word:
If you are not vaccinated:

• you can only travel to France if you have pressing grounds for travel. The list of pressing grounds is set out in the certificate of international travel drawn up by the Ministry of the Interior.
  • each traveller aged 11 years or older must present a negative PCR test taken less than 72 hours before departure or a negative antigenic test taken less than 48 hours before departure.
  • you may be subject to a random test when you arrive in France.
  • you must pledge to self-isolate for 7 days.
I suppose the "good news" is that the self-isolation is only 7 days at this point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those who are departing tomorrow night, good luck!

I just contacted the DC Consulate to verify if they will be issuing any tourism visas in the coming days since the latest change. (Again, we are not looking to enter Metropolitan France, only French Polynesia at the end of June). They have not received any instructions and do not expect to have any updates until end of this week.
Yes indeed, good luck to those being the guinea pigs testing the new regulations on the very first day !

I kinda freaked out when I read your note about the Consulate because I had thought that all visas were going to be issued again starting 6/29. Thinking that I had bought a plane ticket to arrive 9/15 with the intention of putting my VLS application in on 6/16. Turns out that I misread one of the French gov't visa web pages, after the first closure because of covid they started giving a limited number of visas again on 6/29 last year. Oops !

To try and dig into this a bit more I called VFS, the company that handles the visa applications, and I was told that as of last night they are again accepting applications for long stay visas for visitors - to say I am relieved would be a bit of an understatement :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure how the matter of not having your visa yet will affect things. Haven't checked lately, but generally they really do limit you to a fairly brief period of time before your program begins (i.e. when issuing the visa). But with all the delays and issues with the pandemic, who knows.

I imagine if you don't have your visa, then you don't have your passport either, so you can't travel anyways...And if you have your student visa, then I am pretty sure macron (poor guy) has said students are welcome and your pcr test plus quarantine (which will be reqd) will get you in and through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry I messed up the quote system in the above post.

First part is of course Bev's. The second part that seems to have got embedded somehow is mine.

And although I am quoting Bev to illustrate the non-availability of student visa, the 'you' is more hypothetical and particular to OP. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry I messed up the quote system in the above post.

First part is of course Bev's. The second part that seems to have got embedded somehow is mine.

And although I am quoting Bev to illustrate the non-availability of student visa, the 'you' is more hypothetical and particular to OP. Thanks.
oops I keep messing this up! May be time to quit.

Obviously this is very long thread, and I am not addressing the OP but @TylerDurdenn666 who is asking this last set of questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oops I keep messing this up! May be time to quit.

Obviously this is very long thread, and I am not addressing the OP but @TylerDurdenn666 who is asking this last set of questions.
Haha no worries, thanks guys I appreciate it. I do have my passport, my visa is just under review which takes up to 2 weeks. I think I should be good (hope lol), Ive been vaccinated and although not for 2 weeks yet, I have a compelling reason (student) + Anti-gen test (Sunday). If I was coming for tourism I'd prob reschedule but given that i'd technically be able to come w/o a vaccination but w/ a compelling reason as a student, i think it looks positive. Thanks again everyone, I will post a comment tuesday about the whole process.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Haha no worries, thanks guys I appreciate it. I do have my passport, my visa is just under review which takes up to 2 weeks. I think I should be good (hope lol), Ive been vaccinated and although not for 2 weeks yet, I have a compelling reason (student) + Anti-gen test (Sunday). If I was coming for tourism I'd prob reschedule but given that i'd technically be able to come w/o a vaccination but w/ a compelling reason as a student, i think it looks positive. Thanks again everyone, I will post a comment tuesday about the whole process.
I assume you will be arriving with your visa in hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I assume you will be arriving with your visa in hand.
No, its in process. Visa is not required for short stays of less than 90 days. I have a summer module this july at the school in France followed by a full year which starts in October. I'll be going home for the month of August.
I have my passport + compelling reason + test + vaccinated (not 2 weeks yet).
Sorry If i explained poorly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, its in process. Visa is not required for short stays of less than 90 days. I have a summer module this july at the school in France followed by a full year which starts in October. I'll be going home for the month of August.
I have my passport + compelling reason + test + vaccinated (not 2 weeks yet).
Sorry If i explained poorly.
I am still confused as to how your LS-ST visa can in be process but you have your passport in hand...may be there are exceptions to cases such as yours...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I am still confused as to how your LS-ST visa can in be process but you have your passport in hand...may be there are exceptions to cases such as yours...
Or maybe not, but the poster clearly wants to take the risk. Though as far as I know if you enter France on the 90 day visa waiver, you will be treated as a tourist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe it’s different here? Idk I sent my application online over études-en-france i just needed to submit the info on my passport, it’s under review and then i go to the consulate in nyc (closest one to me) where then i’ll hand over my passport but until then I have it. However yea i’m going to try to go w my passport + vaccination but if they hassle me for the 2 week post vaccine wait then i can just go with my « compelling reason » (being a student) with my negative test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Or maybe not, but the poster clearly wants to take the risk. Though as far as I know if you enter France on the 90 day visa waiver, you will be treated as a tourist.
Since I won’t have my visa processed in time (I have to visit consulate in nyc), im going for the 90 day period w/ just passport as it’s just a summer program.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
When does your summer program actually start? I only ask because you'll also have the 7 day self-isolation. Rumor has it that they are controlling these self-isolation periods more strictly than they used to - but as with so many things in France "your mileage may vary."

The one remaining risk I see is that they may hesitate about admitting you as a "student" without you having your visa in hand. (Given that the summer program is tied to your longer program starting in the fall.) But if you have your return ticket booked (to go back and collect your visa), that might help. Anyhow, keep us posted how you do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe it’s different here? Idk I sent my application online over études-en-france i just needed to submit the info on my passport, it’s under review and then i go to the consulate in nyc (closest one to me) where then i’ll hand over my passport but until then I have it. However yea i’m going to try to go w my passport + vaccination but if they hassle me for the 2 week post vaccine wait then i can just go with my « compelling reason » (being a student) with my negative test.
So I think your material is with Campus France still and not yet with VFS. You will be going to the VFS in NYC I imagine...

101 - 118 of 118 Posts