Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Just be prepared for a certain level of "confusion" given that you'll be among the first to enter France under the new rules and procedures. (And those flights from the US get in really early in the morning - so the immigration folks may not be fully up to speed yet.)

BTW, the specific list of countries designated "red" "orange" or "green" will be re-evaluated every two weeks and updated as necessary for changes in conditions.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
United already has the new change on their site so the ground crews should be up to speed on Tuesday departures with arrivals on the 9th, especially Air France. As it turns out we weren’t so crazy after all booking for touchdown on the 9th.
If you are allowed to board on 8 June in the USA.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I note that the US view on travel to France is as follows:

• France remains under a Level 4 – Do Not Travel advisory and a CDC Level 4 – Very High, avoid all travel, notice due to COVID-19.
I believe you also need a recent test in order to return. You may have difficulty actually getting the test and the (hopefully) negative result back within the required timeframe given the already high demand in France and pressure on labs.

Whilst it is true that the groups identified on the site/s are eligible for vaccination in France (and teenagers from 15 June), many have only very recently become eligible, it has been overall not very easy to get appointments and there are still, according to mainstream media reports here, very significant numbers of people aged under 50 who have not yet been vaccinated let alone fully vaccinated.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Let's not be quite so negative here. From all accounts, it seems our June 8 travelers meet all the requisite conditions - and, as US citizens, will most likely be allowed back into the US. (I do believe they have testing facilities at the airports over there.) I don't believe anyone has mentioned the desire or need to get vaccinated in France while they are "visiting."

I do hope our intrepid travelers will come back and give us a report on how their "first day of the new requirements" goes. Bound to be some hiccups - but the airline is responsible for them if they let them board without the requisite documents. And as for the trip back - again, it will definitely be interesting to hear how it goes and any advice they may have for those who have travel plans later in the summer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
.. You may have difficulty actually getting the test and the (hopefully) negative result back within the required timeframe given the already high demand in France and pressure on labs. ..
A hint for the OP and other travellers needing a pre-flight test: a friend returning to UK searched on-line and found lots of lab services and test centres, but with days, up to a week, before the first available appointment. And variably expensive.

I asked our pharmacist for advice and she gave us the contact details for a local independent nurse who does tests. The service was excellent - no waiting time (we phoned to check it was possible and she just said phone the day before you want the test), she worked weekends, she came to the house to do the test, the results came back in a few hours. Don't know what she charged but the friend was very happy. And yes, it was a pukka PCR test with QR code, certificate and everything, which was accepted at the airport before flying, and at the UK border. (Although it's essential to check that the test you get meets the required conditions).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I see that the CDC says that self-tests are allowable providing they meet certain requirements (including monitoring of the test remotely it appears).

Has anybody used one of those by any chance?

(We fly US -> France July 7, and return a couple of weeks later)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I see that the CDC says that self-tests are allowable providing they meet certain requirements (including monitoring of the test remotely it appears).

Has anybody used one of those by any chance?

So it is a fact that currently US citizens need to be tested in order to return to the US.

Your question is of course not meant for me and I cannot answer it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Ferrad,

Once you land in Paris, would you be able to report back and let us know what it was like going through the US airport and French customs? I'm wondering how strict they will be on the form of proof for vaccination, testing, etc. Specifically, I'm booked for Paris shortly after you but will need to prove previous infection in order to waive the four week waiting period (for J&J) post injection.

Thanks and good luck!

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
They are still aiming to have some agreement that would allow for Americans to obtain an EU health pass by the July 1st start up date. The pass is supposed to include information about "alternative" immunity (like that you have had Covid), along with your vaccination status and latest Covid test results. All in one, convenient QR code. No idea how that is going to work - but stay tuned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those who are departing tomorrow night, good luck!

I just contacted the DC Consulate to verify if they will be issuing any tourism visas in the coming days since the latest change. (Again, we are not looking to enter Metropolitan France, only French Polynesia at the end of June). They have not received any instructions and do not expect to have any updates until end of this week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,
Has anyone here actually went from US to France today? I was preparing all my documents and last minute things before my flight Monday (14th) when I noticed something that scared me. I have been vaccinated with my 2nd dose today and am getting my rapid test the day before I leave (Sunday). However I've read that vaccinations must be administered 2 weeks prior? Do you feel that they're strict in this aspect? I've read a report this morning from an American, he said Delta Airlines (What I'll be flying) was rather relaxed with the whole process and just quickly check that everything was there as far as documents.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey guys,
Has anyone here actually went from US to France today? I was preparing all my documents and last minute things before my flight Monday (14th) when I noticed something that scared me. I have been vaccinated with my 2nd dose today and am getting my rapid test the day before I leave (Sunday). However I've read that vaccinations must be administered 2 weeks prior? Do you feel that they're strict in this aspect? I've read a report this morning from an American, he said Delta Airlines (What I'll be flying) was rather relaxed with the whole process and just quickly check that everything was there as far as documents.
According to this link (Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France) « vaccinated » means that you are two weeks past your last shot unless you have the J&J vaccine, in which case it’s four weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
The definition of fully vaccinated has been 2 weeks post the 2nd dose for the Pfizer vaccine. So, even if Delta Airlines are relaxed about it and let you board, you may run into problems upon arrival if French Immigration determines that you are still not fully vaccinated. They may not be quite as relaxed as Delta. They might refuse you entry or require you to quarantine.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hey guys,
I think they will be very strict and even if the airline allows you to board, you will not be able to enter (which means that the airline will have to transport you back to the US.

Not to mention that Biden does not want you to travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The definition of fully vaccinated has been 2 weeks post the 2nd dose for the Pfizer vaccine. So, even if Delta Airlines are relaxed about it and let you board, you may run into problems upon arrival if French Immigration determines that you are still not fully vaccinated. They may not be quite as relaxed as Delta. They might refuse you entry or require you to quarantine.
I imagine that they'd require me to quarantine, I just fear the worst, not being able to board or even worse - being sent back to the usa :O

·
Registered
234 Posts
I imagine that they'd require me to quarantine
There is no alternative « quarantine » option if you do not meet the requirements for entry into France. You can enter France without a vaccination and only a negative test but only if you complete a declaration showing that you have a compelling reason (as defined) to come to France.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is no alternative « quarantine » option if you do not meet the requirements for entry into France. You can enter France without a vaccination and only a negative test but only if you complete a declaration showing that you have a compelling reason (as defined) to come to France.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have a compelling reason however I don't know if it would hold up as my Visa is currently under review. Quarantine would be to rest home 10 days or subject to a fine correct ?

81 - 100 of 118 Posts